Buddhism

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Jarmika

Buddhism

Post by Jarmika »

Buddhism is derived from practice. The Buddha himself practised until he fully understood the true nature of Dhamma; only then did he begin to teach others. Buddhists, therefore, understand the importance of practising meditation and training themselves according to the teachings. When they are not put regularly into practice, the knowledge and understanding gained from learning will not bring satisfactory results. So you should learn about and practise the moral precepts until they become higher morality, and learn and practise all the different levels of wisdom until you reach the level of higher wisdom. You must then practise until you truly reach freedom from dukkha and escape from the round of repeated birth and death. Because of that, practice is the most important part of Buddhism.”
retrofuturist

Re: Buddhism

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Jarmika,

Yes, there is much work to be done.

:meditate:

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Jarmika

Post by Jarmika »

Thanks retrofuturist...
Jarmika

The Buddha

Post by Jarmika »

Do not accept any of my words on faith,
Believing them just because I said them.
Be like an analyst buying gold, who cuts, burns,
And critically examines his product for authenticity.
Only accept what passes the test
By proving useful and beneficial in your life.
Lazy_eye

Re: The Buddha

Post by Lazy_eye »

Jarmika wrote:Do not accept any of my words on faith,
Thanks, Jarmika. It is good to see you here. I notice you have been absent from Facebook lately and am hoping all is going OK.

All best,

Rob
Jarmika

Post by Jarmika »

Rob...
I still on facebook...but I had to change my name
I will send some message to you on your facebook...

Gift...
Jarmika

Thinking

Post by Jarmika »

" Think before you act "
" Don't do everything you think " :buddha1:
retrofuturist

Re: Thinking

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Jarmika,
Jarmika wrote:" Think before you act "
" Don't do everything you think " :buddha1:
There's a good sutta about this. Do you know this one...?

MN 61: Ambalatthikarahulovada Sutta
http://www.vipassana.com/canon/majjhima/mn61.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Metta,
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Jarmika

Post by Jarmika »

retrofuturist,
Think before you act ...
think before you speak ...
Think before you think...
When you think and it makes you unhappy,ask yourself " why I am thinking " ( of it )
:anjali:
Jarmika

Life..

Post by Jarmika »

To know your body and mind is the best of all knowledge.... :buddha1:
ground

Re: Life..

Post by ground »

Jarmika wrote:To know your body and mind is the best of all knowledge.... :buddha1:

Forget it that's even better :tongue:

Edit:
.. especially the "I" and "mine" implied with "your body and mind"

Kind regards
Last edited by ground on Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Jarmika,
Jarmika wrote:When you think and it makes you unhappy,ask yourself " why I am thinking " ( of it )
Yes, I find this one helpful.

When there is suffering, what is the cause?

:computerproblem:

Metta,
Jarmika

Mind..

Post by Jarmika »

If you train your mind well, happiness will surely come....
:buddha2:
purist_andrew

Re: The Buddha

Post by purist_andrew »

Jarmika wrote:Do not accept any of my words on faith,
Jarmika, I might direct your attention to this essay by Bhikkhu Bodhi on the sutta in question which clears up in my view what is a common misunderstanding of the subject (I've even read this misunderstanding being expounded by His Holiness the Dalai Lama):

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... ay_09.html

It basically comes down to the fact that while the audience of the discourse you quoted was not looking to undertake the Buddha's actual path to liberation, and did not see him as their guide in that way, that the Buddha gave general advice to them to help them evaluate the claims of various spiritual teachers, while in fact we see on many occasions that the Buddha does teach confidence in him and his enlightenment experience as an important factor in future progress:
"Four conditions, Vyagghapajja, conduce to a householder's weal and happiness in his future life. Which four?

"The accomplishment of faith (saddha-sampada), the accomplishment of virtue (sila-sampada), the accomplishment of charity (caga-sampada) and the accomplishment of wisdom (pañña-sampada).

"What is the accomplishment of faith?

"Herein a householder is possessed of faith, he believes in the Enlightenment of the Perfect One (Tathagata): Thus, indeed, is that Blessed One: he is the pure one, fully enlightened, endowed with knowledge and conduct, well-gone, the knower of worlds, the incomparable leader of men to be tamed, the teacher of gods and men, all-knowing and blessed. This is called the accomplishment of faith.

"What is the accomplishment of virtue?

"Herein a householder abstains from killing, stealing, sexual misconduct, lying, and from intoxicants that cause infatuation and heedlessness. This is called the accomplishment of virtue.
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... el014.html

And we see that confidence in some of the major tenets of the doctrine which are expounded specifically by the Buddha as truths he realized himself during his enlightenment (past and future lives, the functioning of kamma as good and bad deeds, manifold realms of existence from heavens to hell) are to be accepted by those who place confidence in his teaching, as a crucial part of the path to liberation (Right View of the Noble Eightfold Path):
"And what is the right view that has effluents, sides with merit, & results in acquisitions? 'There is what is given, what is offered, what is sacrificed. There are fruits & results of good & bad actions. There is this world & the next world. There is mother & father. There are spontaneously reborn beings; there are priests & contemplatives who, faring rightly & practicing rightly, proclaim this world & the next after having directly known & realized it for themselves.' This is the right view that has effluents, sides with merit, & results in acquisitions.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... an.html#s1

You will find this type of statement on many occasions in the suttas.

An understanding of the dynamics of the laws of kamma and rebirth that operate in the universe with relation to sentient beings are expounded to his disciples that those who place confidence in his enlightenment experience are expected to believe, for one thing so it can lead them to a fortunate rebirth, and another so they can more fully understand the dynamics of the rebirth process and ultimately escape the process altogether.

HTH.
Jarmika

Don't worry...

Post by Jarmika »

Don't worry about something that has not happened yet......
:woohoo: