Vipāka for our parents?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
BlackBird

Vipāka for our parents?

Post by BlackBird »

Hello all

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

What is the Kammic result or Vipāka of our parents raising us, for our parents? Even if they may not yet have had the chance to know of the Dhamma, do they accrue a lot of good merit if their offspring go on to become practising Buddhists?

Do they accrue more merit for raising a son or daughter who goes on to become a practising Buddhist, than if their son or daughter were to live their life heedless?

I know that it is said that the only way we will ever be able to repay our parents is through the gift of Dhamma. So by this notion, surely our parents must have accrued much good merit?

Thank you again :smile:

With metta
Jack :heart:
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

Path Press - Ñāṇavīra Thera Dhamma Page - Ajahn Nyanamoli's Dhamma talks
Fede

Re: Vipāka for our parents?

Post by Fede »

Oh I don't know what my parents did to deserve me!!

They rejoice - I commiserate!

It was my godly and church-going R.Catholic mother who introduced me to Buddhism, by giving me Sogyal Rinpoche's now world-famous book, The Tibetan Book of Living & Dying.
Had it not been for her, I might still be wandering around unconsciously confused in Samsara... as opposed to wandering around consciously confused in Samsara, as I am now!

On the day of their 50th Wedding anniversary, in 2003, they participated in a Catholic Traditional Nuptual Mass to renew their vows.
I liaised with their Parish priest and put forward a piece of text -buddhist in theme - to be read out during the mass.
He was delighted to do this, and openly welcomed such a fusion of ideas.
I am so grateful that my kamma and rebirth brought me to them.
:namaste:
"Samsara: The human condition's heartbreaking inability to sustain contentment." Elizabeth Gilbert, 'Eat, Pray, Love'.

Simplify: 17 into 1 WILL go: Mindfulness!

Quieta movere magna merces videbatur. (Sallust, c.86-c.35 BC)
Translation: Just to stir things up seemed a good reward in itself. ;)

I am sooooo happy - How on earth could I be otherwise?! :D

http://www.armchairadvice.co.uk/relationships/forum/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pink_trike

Post by pink_trike »

BlackBird wrote:Hello all

What is the Kammic result or Vipāka of our parents raising us, for our parents? Even if they may not yet have had the chance to know of the Dhamma, do they accrue a lot of good merit if their offspring go on to become practising Buddhists?

Do they accrue more merit for raising a son or daughter who goes on to become a practising Buddhist, than if their son or daughter were to live their life heedless?

I know that it is said that the only way we will ever be able to repay our parents is through the gift of Dhamma. So by this notion, surely our parents must have accrued much good merit?

With metta
And do they also "accrue" negative merit if their child grows up to be a Christian? Or an agnostic? Or a heedless person?

Isn't this a bit of a fool's dance to try to pin down?
Vision is Mind
Mind is Empty
Emptiness is Clear Light
Clear Light is Union
Union is Great Bliss

- Dawa Gyaltsen

---

Disclaimer: I'm a non-religious practitioner of Theravada, Mahayana/Vajrayana, and Tibetan Bon Dzogchen mind-training.
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

I dont see how they would get good merits if their offspring went onto be a buddhist, since kamma is intention and vipaka the result of that

I cant see how intention on their part comes into it?

Metta
“The teacher willed that this world appear to me
as impermanent, unstable, insubstantial.
Mind, let me leap into the victor’s teaching,
carry me over the great flood, so hard to pass.”
BlackBird

Post by BlackBird »

clw_uk wrote: I cant see how intention on their part comes into it?
Correct, but they have had the volitional action to raise us. I see the falacy in my own logic because I have heard cases of practising Buddhists who came from abusive parents. Is it Vipāka for a parent to raise a child which grows up to be a pious Buddhist, or is this coincidence?

From my earlier questions, I'm drawing on the idea of generosity, and the concepts related to it.
Dana to a heedful individual is much better than dana to a heedless individual.

So can it be said that (as parenting is effectively 18 years of generosity to one's child) raising a child who ends up a pious Buddhist may have a better merit than raising a child who turns out to be heedless?

With metta
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

Path Press - Ñāṇavīra Thera Dhamma Page - Ajahn Nyanamoli's Dhamma talks
floating_abu

Post by floating_abu »

With metta
How about not looking at your parents and loved ones and even world in this way if possible?

If merit is the standard you like, then it is our problem, and not the world's.

Personally I just prefer to try to do my best and in my own life, I don't hassle myself with such questions.

Remember that only a fully Awakened Buddha has the range of knowledge that is larger, so I prefer to leave the speculative antics to the side. Focus on what is in front of you - it is enough.

But maybe that's just me aging :)

Best wishes.
Mexicali

Post by Mexicali »

My parents will accrue a lot of merit for pouring so much time, energy, and love into a confused, trouble making fool like I have been most of my life. I don't think my dhamma practice has much to do with it.
"We do not embrace reason at the expense of emotion. We embrace it at the expense of self-deception."
-- Herbert Muschamp
Individual

Post by Individual »

What is the Kammic result or Vipāka of our parents raising us, for our parents?
That's a very broad question. I think it depends on the parents.
The best things in life aren't things.

The Diamond Sutra