Dhamma Books in Melbourne

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
salmon

Dhamma Books in Melbourne

Post by salmon »

Hi all,

I'll be travelling to Melbourne next month and hope to bring some free dhamma books for distribution. Can any of the melbournians on dhammawheel tell me if there are any temples/meditation centres/etc where I can send the books to?

Thanks.

metta.
~ swimming upstream is tough work! ~
retrofuturist

Re: Dhamma Books in Melbourne

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

As far as I'm aware, all the Theravada temples (and some listings that aren't temples per se, but are "associations") in the state of Victoria can be found here:

World Buddhist Directory - Victoria - Theravada
http://buddhanet.info/wbd/search.php?ke ... =theravada" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you mean Melbourne as in the inner city of Melbourne, your options are a bit more limited... particularly on a Theravadin front. The only Buddhist temple in the city I'm aware of is the Mahayanan Fo Guang Yuan Art Gallery at 141 Queen Street, Melbourne. They have a section upstairs with free Dharma booklets.

Many of the listings are suburban, or even in the countryside.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

Hi!

You can bring some free Dhamma books to me (if you like)!

I work in a prison (maybe prisons in coming months) and tend to need books pretty often.

Cheers!

_/|\_
_/|\_
zavk

Post by zavk »

Hi Salmon,

Try the Buddhist Society of Victoria. They have a library there and also a free books stand for visitors. http://www.bsv.net.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Where are you coming from?

Metta,
zavk
With metta,
zavk
salmon

Post by salmon »

Hi all,

I've got books from Thailand, Malaysia & Singapore. Will be glad to pass books to anyone who wants them. I'll be putting up in inner city Melbourne but will probably have time to travel to the suburbs (no further than Zone 3 pls!!). I guess I could mail parcels out once I get there, if the places are too far.

What sort of books in particular is lacking? Basic Buddhism? Or, more advanced ones? Perhaps I'll scour for a list of available books and list them here for you guys to select/strike off? Otherwise I might break my baggage limit :tongue:

Dan: whereabouts are you?

Thanks for the websites, I'll check them out.

metta.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Salmon,

Luckily for you, there's only 2 transport zones now. :tongue:

They merged 2 & 3 into just Zone 2... presumably in order to make public transport a more viable option for those on the outer fringes of the city.

Metta,
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
salmon

Post by salmon »

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings Salmon,

Luckily for you, there's only 2 transport zones now. :tongue:

They merged 2 & 3 into just Zone 2... presumably in order to make public transport a more viable option for those on the outer fringes of the city.

Metta,
Really? Oh gosh...it's been 10 years since I lived that that so many things have changed! Federation Square was not even built when I left... :thinking:

Are they charging Zone 2 or Zone 3 pricing then? :juggling:
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Salmon,
salmon wrote:Are they charging Zone 2 or Zone 3 pricing then? :juggling:
Zone 2... which was the same as 3 I think. The only difference is that travelling into the city, you'll only pay 1 & 2 instead of 1,2 & 3.

Metta,
Nadi

Post by Nadi »

Hi Salmon,

If u can get a few copies of 'Mindfulness in Plain English' by bhante Henepola Gunaratana, it would be very useful I think (specially for Dan to distribute in prisons). I know there's a free version of this book, because my friend had one a few years ago, but I haven't come across it in any of the Buddhist centers yet.

Thank you...
With Metta,
Nadi
floating_abu

Post by floating_abu »

Do you know where you are taking them to yet, salmon? In Sydney there is a Buddhist Library where I once left a variety of books. I hope you find a convenient place. Safe travels.
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

salmon wrote: Dan: whereabouts are you?

Thanks for the websites, I'll check them out.

metta.
Hi! :hello:

I am in Mentone, but I can get them off you in the city.

Send me a PM when you are here and we will connect!

The books will be much appreciated!!!

_/|\_
_/|\_
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
Nadi wrote:If u can get a few copies of 'Mindfulness in Plain English' by bhante Henepola Gunaratana, it would be very useful I think
I could even do with a copy of that :tongue:

I've heard good things.

Metta,
salmon

Post by salmon »

"Mindfulness in Plain English" is a very popular book...hard to find in Asia too as they normally get snapped up lickity-split!

I've got some Forest Tradition books like "Forest Dhamma" and quite a few Ajahn Chah's writings which I'll pack up. Will see what else there is in the "Free Libraries" :)

Will update you guys closer to my date of travel and make more arrangements

:anjali:
salmon

Post by salmon »

floating_abu wrote:Do you know where you are taking them to yet, salmon? In Sydney there is a Buddhist Library where I once left a variety of books. I hope you find a convenient place. Safe travels.
I'm not sure where I will be taking them. I've gone through the list in the webbies posted here. Most likely I'll send them to BSV and one or two other centres. As most of the writings are from Thai teachers, I'm not sure if they'll be well received in centres of other countries' influences?

PS. no discrimmination meant, but in places like m'sia, there are some places that will ONLY deal with Burmese Theravada tradition.
floating_abu

Post by floating_abu »

salmon wrote:
floating_abu wrote:Do you know where you are taking them to yet, salmon? In Sydney there is a Buddhist Library where I once left a variety of books. I hope you find a convenient place. Safe travels.
I'm not sure where I will be taking them. I've gone through the list in the webbies posted here. Most likely I'll send them to BSV and one or two other centres. As most of the writings are from Thai teachers, I'm not sure if they'll be well received in centres of other countries' influences?

PS. no discrimmination meant, but in places like m'sia, there are some places that will ONLY deal with Burmese Theravada tradition.
Dear salmon - I've been meaning to tell you I love your avatar :hug:

Um - that is interesting re: Malaysia - I had a look at the BSV website, I suspect that should be OK.
Thankyou regardless :)

:namaste: