sammāsamādhi: the four jhānas

The cultivation of calm or tranquility and the development of concentration
Mr Man

Re: sammāsamādhi: the four jhānas

Post by Mr Man »

Going slightly o/t It seems that some have a natural predisposition to deeper concentration possibly it the same way that some seem to have a natural predisposition for playing an instrument.
BlueLotus

Post by BlueLotus »

Mr Man wrote:Going slightly o/t It seems that some have a natural predisposition to deeper concentration possibly it the same way that some seem to have a natural predisposition for playing an instrument.
Which I don't have.... :cry:
Jhana4

Post by Jhana4 »

manasikara wrote:
Zom wrote: I recall private talk with Ajahn Jayasaro in 2009 - he told me that even among monks who do practise meditation today - there are just few who can reach jhana.
Yet Ajahn Brahm seems to be having quite a bit of success in training even laypeople in reaching it.
What does that mean? I don't think Ajahn Brahm is keeping a tally of the number of students who come to him and the number who reach a jhana before parting ways with him.

I think Ajahn Brahm is brilliant and an innovative educator.

I am curious why you think Brahm is more successful in getting people to jhanic states than anyone else?
I'm not trying to contradict you, I just feel that there is a tendency in the Buddhist world to see jhana as 'too hard' when actually the Buddha clearly intends for us all to practise it.
I got a similar impression when I first got into all of this stuff in the 90s. I couldn't find hardly anything written about the Jhanas. Most western teachers just dismissed it as something "dangerous" that would seduce meditators. Years later there are all these good how to books out and retreats. Teachers are now saying it is no big deal. I'm guessing things were still new back in the 90s for the west, nobody knew much about it and just repeated epithets that they heard from other people.
In reading the scriptures, there are two kinds of mistakes:
One mistake is to cling to the literal text and miss the inner principles.
The second mistake is to recognize the principles but not apply them to your own mind, so that you waste time and just make them into causes of entanglement.
manas

Post by manas »

Jhana4 wrote: What does that mean? I don't think Ajahn Brahm is keeping a tally of the number of students who come to him and the number who reach a jhana before parting ways with him.
I must admit, that maybe I was assuming too much here. I will ask him directly next time he visits Melbourne. But I really get the impression that he has been able to assist people in jhana practice.
Last edited by manas on Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.
manas

Post by manas »

BlueLotus wrote:
Mr Man wrote:Going slightly o/t It seems that some have a natural predisposition to deeper concentration possibly it the same way that some seem to have a natural predisposition for playing an instrument.
There are some who would dispute that, the famous music educator Suzuki for example...
BlueLotus wrote:Which I don't have.... :cry:
BlueLotus, I get the feeling you still have quite a few years left to live and practise, in which case you just can't rule anything out. First we learn to crawl, then walk, then dance, right? Go easy on yourself! Imagine if little kids just gave up when they were taking their first few steps, and kept falling over...but all basically healthy kids eventually end up learning to walk. Why? Because they have the motivation, they remain attentive, and they don't judge themselves. We adults can learn from that. I read somewhere that initially, stillness doesn't last for long, like a child who walks a few steps, then falls over. Instead of getting upset over this, observe this process, over and over again. No, there's nothing 'wrong'; everyone at first falls, then gets up, then falls, then gets up...if we persevere, applying patience, kindness, and above all remaining aware of the mind and where it is right now - then we will gradually find that we fall a bit less often. And so on it goes...anyway please seek out the guidance of a qualified instructor in this, I was just sharing what helps me, but I'm not a qualified instructor...I really just wanted to encourage you, and anyone else, not to despair. People write novels, or design buildings, or do whatever, and in the end they have what is called their 'life's work'...well the way I see it, training the mind is our 'life's work', it is the work of a lifetime, even the work of many lifetimes but it is the most noble work we can engage in, and so even if you struggle, take heart that you are on the Path...and you are walking in the right direction!

:anjali:
To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.