Forest Sangha Publications

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
theravada_guy

Forest Sangha Publications

Post by theravada_guy »

Greetings all,

I just now discovered the Forest Sangha portal Web site along with the publications section. Most of the books look like they're only available as "epub" and "mobi" files. What are these? Why aren't they in PDF format, which, I wish they'd work on putting them into.

Thanks.
With mettā,

TG
daverupa

Re: Forest Sangha Publications

Post by daverupa »

Adobe acrobat should open epub files...
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
bodom

Post by bodom »

theravada_guy wrote:Greetings all,

I just now discovered the Forest Sangha portal Web site along with the publications section.
Great website I am on there daily.
Most of the books look like they're only available as "epub" and "mobi" files. What are these? Why aren't they in PDF format, which, I wish they'd work on putting them into.
It is so they can be uploaded to e-readers such as kindle, nook, ipad etc.

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
theravada_guy

Post by theravada_guy »

Does anyone know where I can download this ePub thing? I looked on Wikipedia, and it said it was a free program. But I when I went to the Web site, I couldn't find where to download it.
With mettā,

TG
Upasaka

Post by Upasaka »

theravada_guy wrote:Does anyone know where I can download this ePub thing? I looked on Wikipedia, and it said it was a free program. But I when I went to the Web site, I couldn't find where to download it.
Does this help?

Adobe DE (Digital Editions) is a Flash based eBook reader for the desktop computer and Sony Reader. Along with reading ePub formatted books, DE can also read PDF files and both of these with or without DRM protection.

Download--- http://www.adobe.com/products/digitaleditions/

Adobe has been a great supporter of ePub; in fact they are also a member of the IDPF, helping to develop the book format itself. When they released their Digital Editions, it was the first eBook reader that could read ePub books.

DE is available for both Windows and Mac computers with Linux currently in development and installation is a very simple process. During installation you will be asked to authorise your computer. You do have the option of refusing this, but any DRM encrypted eBooks you buy will not be transferable to any other computers or devices.

The visual look of DE is quite different to most computer software as it has a dark, brushed metal, grey interface. Personally I like the look, especially as it helps to emphasise the white pages, where the actual reading is done.

Adobe are also wanting to expand DE into other markets, with a current localisation that includes three different languages; English, French and German.
The heart of the path is quite easy. There’s no need to explain anything at length. Let go of love and hate and let things be. That’s all that I do in my own practice.

- Ajahn Chah -
theravada_guy

Post by theravada_guy »

Awesome! After some figuring out of the program and how to get the files into the reader, it worked. Thank you, very very much! :anjali:
With mettā,

TG
Upasaka

Post by Upasaka »

you are very welcome! :anjali:
The heart of the path is quite easy. There’s no need to explain anything at length. Let go of love and hate and let things be. That’s all that I do in my own practice.

- Ajahn Chah -
theravada_guy

Post by theravada_guy »

Would anyone know why I get a question mark (?) in some Pali words when I read the ePubs in Adobe Digital Editions? How can I fix this?

Thanks.
With mettā,

TG
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

Possibly:

But ADE randomly displays question marks inside words

This is because your original file has soft hyphens. ADE doesn't handle those. So just remove these soft hyphens from your file and the question marks will go away. Look for something like ­ or ‑. Basically anything "strange" that exists between those two characters. But you have to look in the HTML.

source
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]