jhana

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
BlueLotus

jhana

Post by BlueLotus »

What are the suttas buddha described 8 jhana please?

Thanks
:anjali:
DNS
Site Admin

Re: jhana

Post by DNS »

BlueLotus wrote:What are the suttas buddha described 8 jhana please?
They are permeated throughout the Suttas, referring to the four jhanas and then usually after that it mentions the four formless realms (therefore, sometimes known as the four formless jhanas; five with 'cessation' making it 8 or 9 jhanas if you include the formless realms). Here is a small sample of Suttas, but there are actually many more:

AN 9.36
AN 4.123
AN 4.124
manas

Post by manas »

BlueLotus wrote:What are the suttas buddha described 8 jhana please?

Thanks
There are some wonderful similes and descriptions of jhana by the Buddha in the "Samaññaphala Sutta: The Fruits of the Contemplative Life". The section on the jhanas occurs a fair way down the page.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.
Oh.Wow

Post by Oh.Wow »

A rather comprehensive guide can be found in the Anupada Sutta - the 111th Sutta of the Majjhima Nikaya. It covers the 8 Jhanas "One by One" as they occur by examining how Sariputta progressed through them and subsequently attained Arahatship. Here is a link that will connect you to an English translation of the Sutta: http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html.
-Wow
BlueLotus

Post by BlueLotus »

thank you :anjali:
contemplans

Post by contemplans »

I find Leigh Blasington's works interesting.