Any Star Trek Fans Here?

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
christopher:::

Any Star Trek Fans Here?

Post by christopher::: »

The new Star Trek will be opening soon. While not a trekkie I liked the original cast, a lot. Next Generations was interesting at times, and i think Picard was a good captain. Never got into Deep Space Nine, but i liked most of Voyager's cast. The series after that didn't do much for me, but i'm looking forward to the new movie. I like some of the values of the show- multiculturalism, spirituality and science, a world where money and profit isn't a motivating factor for career choices. Anyone else here into Star Trek?

I apologize, for those of you who frequent ZFI, this is a duplicate topic, posted there as well...
Last edited by christopher::: on Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
"As Buddhists, we should aim to develop relationships that are not predominated by grasping and clinging. Our relationships should be characterised by the brahmaviharas of metta (loving kindness), mudita (sympathetic joy), karuna (compassion), and upekkha (equanimity)."
~post by Ben, Jul 02, 2009
retrofuturist

Re: Any Star Trek Fans Here?

Post by retrofuturist »

No... it's like a "soap opera" set in space.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
thornbush

Post by thornbush »

I was (no thanks to my dad) and now am no longer :tongue:
Captain Kirk could use less pounds nowadays :spy:
zavk

Post by zavk »

I did watch the reruns on TV when I was little, but more out of boredom than any real interest. But I must say the upcoming 'reboot' film looks interesting.

:alien:

Best wishes,
zavk
With metta,
zavk
Ngawang Drolma.

Post by Ngawang Drolma. »

I love Star Trek! :geek:
BubbaBuddhist

Post by BubbaBuddhist »

1st generation Trekkie...used to come home from school and watch it with great love. Believe it or not, the show was canceled in Knoxville Tennessee after the first interracial kiss between Kirk and Uhura. Growing up in the Southern US in the 1960s was interesting to say the least.

Like all of my generation, not pleased with the "reboot" of the Canon.

J
Author of Redneck Buddhism: or Will You Reincarnate as Your Own Cousin?
pink_trike

Post by pink_trike »

I watched it in the 60s. The stories bored me as much as the technology, Dr. Spock, and Mr. Zulu fascinated me.
Vision is Mind
Mind is Empty
Emptiness is Clear Light
Clear Light is Union
Union is Great Bliss

- Dawa Gyaltsen

---

Disclaimer: I'm a non-religious practitioner of Theravada, Mahayana/Vajrayana, and Tibetan Bon Dzogchen mind-training.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Bubbabuddhist wrote:1st generation Trekkie...used to come home from school and watch it with great love.
Me too. I was a Trekkie fan and when Star Wars came out, I was a big fan of both.

After becoming Buddhist, I moved more toward Star Wars due to the great character of Yoda. :buddha1:
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi all

I am looking forward to the new Star Trek movie.
I'm no trekkie either but I've enjoyed the original series and Next Gen and most of the movies.
I remember being a kid in the 1960s and forcing myself to stay up really late (perhaps it was just 9.30) to watch this new space drama my older brothers were raving about. I remember being so tired that I was nearly hallucinating!
Looking forward to witnessing the difficult relationship between Spock and Kirk.
Perhaps I'll take my boys.
Metta

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
christopher:::

Post by christopher::: »

It doesn't open here in Japan until the end of May, but looks like the movie has gotten good reviews. Have any of you seen it yet?

:smile:
"As Buddhists, we should aim to develop relationships that are not predominated by grasping and clinging. Our relationships should be characterised by the brahmaviharas of metta (loving kindness), mudita (sympathetic joy), karuna (compassion), and upekkha (equanimity)."
~post by Ben, Jul 02, 2009
zavk

Post by zavk »

I have!

It is certainly very entertaining. A pretty good film, to be honest. J J Abrams has weaved a good tale. But I don't think the purists would like it.
With metta,
zavk
BubbaBuddhist

Post by BubbaBuddhist »

My son and I (purists) HOWLED with laughter throughout. My son went with me when he was a lad to various conventions and collected autographs from most of the original cast and many of the movie cast. We laughed so hard because to us this movie was like a parody. So over the top and so influenced by Star Wars it was side-splitting. I don't think anyone understood why we were laughing, though. Probably thought we were stoned. Roddenberry is spinning in his grave like a gyroscope. Most of the series he had input on had realistic military flavor because he was ex-military, but none of the writers of this movie apparently knew anything about military protocol. I guess all you have to do in the military in this alternate future universe is raise your voice and your commander gives you whatever you want. :tongue: We enjoyed it, but not because it was a good Star Trek movie. I guess we read too many comic books. In brightest day, in blackest night, no evil shall escape our sight.

J
Author of Redneck Buddhism: or Will You Reincarnate as Your Own Cousin?
sattva

Post by sattva »

well, maybe i shouldn't admit this, but i have always been a huge fan. I liked Voyager least. i haven't seen the new movie. Don't know if i will. My son saw it and really liked it, which surprised me. But he told me that this is a totally different time line and i don't know if i even like that idea. Besides, i don't usually like remakes, rarely are they better from my point of view. So why bother?

live long and prosper
http://www.chatzy.com/25904628501622