Could someone please explain this rule?

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.

Could someone please explain this rule?

Postby manas » Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:47 am

Hi everyone,

I decided today to have a read of the Vinaya, and so far it has been an illuminating window into the monastic way of life. I came across a rule that I cannot as yet see the value of, and I was wondering if comeone could please explain to me why it is an offense entailing confession:

Bhikkhu Pāṭimokkha wrote:Pācittiya: Rules entailing confession
Part One: The Lie Chapter ...

...4. Should any bhikkhu have an unordained person recite Dhamma line by line (with him), it is to be confessed.

What exactly is meant by 'reciting Dhamma line by line', and if I may ask, why is it considered an offense? If such recitation was for the purpose of instructing the unordained person in dhamma, would that still be considered an offense, or would it be ok?

Thanks in advance

:anjali:
Last edited by manas on Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
manas

Re: Could someone please explain this rule?

Postby alan » Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:53 am

Just one of many pointless rules.
alan

Postby theravada_guy » Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:58 am

I have Thanissaro Bhikkhu's "Buddhist Monastic Code" in hard copy. I haven't started reading it yet. The smaller volume I have on the same subject didn't mention anything about this. But, Ajahn Thanissaro's book (it's actuallly two volumes) is online in PDF format. You might be able to find it in there. But, other than that, I can't help you. I know, this post doesn't really help you all that much, I just thought I would throw that book out there as a possible source for an answer.
With metta,

Justin
theravada_guy

Postby Goofaholix » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:01 am

manasikara wrote:What exactly is meant by 'reciting Dhamma line by line', and if I may ask, why is it considered an offense? If such recitation was for the purpose of instructing the unordained person in dhamma, would that still be considered an offense, or would it be ok?

This URL goes into it in detail http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... h08-1.html
"Proper effort is not the effort to make something particular happen. It is the effort to be aware and awake each moment." - Ajahn Chah
"When we see beyond self, we no longer cling to happiness. When we stop clinging, we can begin to be happy." - Ajahn Chah
"Know and watch your heart. It’s pure but emotions come to colour it." — Ajahn Chah
Goofaholix

Postby manas » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:09 am

alan wrote:Just one of many pointless rules.
Actually I'm seeing the value of the vast majority of the rules, even for this modern age many are still highly relevant. Going rule by rule through them, this is the first one I've not been able to see the importance of, however I expect that this is due to my misunderstanding of exactly what 'recitation' means in this particular context, so I await clarification from someone who knows.

metta
manas

Postby manas » Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:55 am

Goofaholix wrote:
This URL goes into it in detail http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... h08-1.html

Thanks Goofaholix, I will check it out.

metta
manas

Postby alan » Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:06 am

Rules, rules, rules. Rules are boring.
If you cannot live a decent life without obsessing about pointless, ridiculous rules, then what is your problem?
I have to seriously question people who need to submit themselves to a legion of rules.
alan

Postby retrofuturist » Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:26 am

Greetings Alan,

alan wrote:I have to seriously question people who need to submit themselves to a legion of rules.

I'm sure there are a few bhikkhus here who might regard your concern as somewhat misplaced.

The undertaking of additional rules is a voluntary procedure... ranging from the standard five, to the full patimokkha, with some gradients inbetween. If the individual did not see the benefit in it for their practice, they would not do it.

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby Buckwheat » Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:17 am

alan wrote:Rules, rules, rules. Rules are boring.
If you cannot live a decent life without obsessing about pointless, ridiculous rules, then what is your problem?
I have to seriously question people who need to submit themselves to a legion of rules.

It seems taking on the rules is an act of humility and devotion. Also an act of generosity that develops a strong sense of self worth.

Charlie Parker was a jazz musician who said, "Learn the changes.... then forget them." You must learn the song really well and practice it until it becomes internalized. Then just play with it. I think it is similar with the rules for Buddhists. I think the rules are supposed to be learned, respected, taken seriously, and practiced until they come naturally. Only then can one practice deep virtue without any concern for rules.
Sotthī hontu nirantaraṃ - May you forever be well.
Buckwheat

Postby manas » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:27 am

Whether this rule was instituted by the Buddha or not (and there might well have been a valid reason for it back in ancient India of 2600 years ago that we in the modern world cannot now comprehend), I'm not going to concern myself any longer that I cannot see it's necessity. The entire pali canon is available online for us laypersons to read, anyway. And if we study some basic pali, we can train ourselves to recite the entire tipitaka - in pali - without having to ask a monk to first recite it for us. And so to worry any further about this little rule, for me, would be like seeing a large and beautiful elephant walking by, and noticing that a bit of vine or creeper was caught in one of it's toenails. So I'm just letting it go now. But I thank everyone who commented.

:anjali:
manas

Postby Jhana4 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:21 am

alan wrote:Rules, rules, rules. Rules are boring.

This is where I see the value in a new and emerging Western Buddhism. Yes, some value will be lost in the birth of a new tradition, but it is a great opportunity to leave behind things which long ago stopped being of value beyond the satisfaction of the mindless keeping of tradition for traditions sake.
In reading the scriptures, there are two kinds of mistakes:
One mistake is to cling to the literal text and miss the inner principles.
The second mistake is to recognize the principles but not apply them to your own mind, so that you waste time and just make them into causes of entanglement.
Jhana4

Postby retrofuturist » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:35 am

Greetings Jhana4,

Well the tradition itself says that "minor rules" can be abolished.

If any group decided to boldly make a determination (hopefully a well educated one) on precisely which were the "minor rules", then that is possible.

Metta,
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby Jhana4 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:42 am

That sort of comes full circle back to the point Alan and I made. A lot of useless things ( and possibly regressive ) for the sake of tradition. That is where starting a new "tradition" provides an opportunity. To easily leave things behind that people in long established institutions do not have the political power or courage to leave behind.
In reading the scriptures, there are two kinds of mistakes:
One mistake is to cling to the literal text and miss the inner principles.
The second mistake is to recognize the principles but not apply them to your own mind, so that you waste time and just make them into causes of entanglement.
Jhana4

Postby retrofuturist » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:50 am

Greetings Jhana4,

In the absence of a Theravada figure-head (i.e. equivalent to HHDL) means that different communities will do and interpret things differently. The issue of bhikkhuni ordination serves as a case-in-point.

Metta,

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby alan » Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:25 am

A perfect example of idiotic rules determining modern behavior!
alan

Postby alan » Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:33 am

Buckwheat,
Holy Sh*t! Are you seriously comparing Charlie Parker with a rule book?
alan

Postby Anagarika » Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:34 am

And, of course, great caution should be exercised before any rules, whether minor or major, be discarded. While there is no "Supreme Court" of Theravada to interpret Vinaya or apply these laws to modern society, it is also appropriate that before the Theravada rejects any minor/major rule, there should be serious analysis of these rules and a consensus developed as to their interpretation and application. We're fortunate that we have scholars such as Thanissaro Bhikkhu and Bhikkhu Bodhi who are willing and able to comment on issues that arise.

My own sense is that rules matter. What is the Vinaya of the Tiptaka if they are not, in part, rules? If rules do not matter, then the Tipitaka begins to not matter And without the foundation of the Tipitaka, we may as well let the monks make up the rules as they go. As Western Buddhism morphs into Dharma Burgers and Zen Hotels, I'd just as soon retain as many of these dusty old rules as possible; Buddhism without rules will cease to be Buddhism at all.
Anagarika

Postby alan » Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:09 am

That is an odd understanding of the Dhamma, which is about understanding, and not about rules, or who is best at following rules.
Rules are for people who are too dumb to figure out how to live for themselves.
alan

Postby Monkey Mind » Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:25 am

Nay, most people are too dumb to figure out, themselves, how to live in cooperation with other humans. Pick any page from any newspaper for amble evidence of this.

I used to think that laws against jay-walking were completely stupid. I can, on my own accord, look both ways and judge for myself if it was safe to cross the street. The first time I jay-walked, and a group of kids mimicked my behavior, I thought twice about my logic. The kids had no reference for how fast cars are driving, or the ability/ inability of drivers to see pedestrians and respond appropriately. I don't jay-walk any more.

Many of the rules of the vinaya, though specific to monastics, provide a good template for human cooperative behavior.
"As I am, so are others;
as others are, so am I."
Having thus identified self and others,
harm no one nor have them harmed.

Sutta Nipāta 3.710
Monkey Mind

Postby retrofuturist » Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:38 am

Greetings Alan,

alan wrote:Rules are for people who are too dumb to figure out how to live for themselves.

I think your statement is insulting to the Vinaya, to the Sangha who follow it, and to the Buddha who laid it down.

I think it would be wise to reflect on your comments in light of this to avoid slander of the Triple Gem.

Metta,

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Next

Return to Ordination and Monastic Life