(The failure to) Go West

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
christopher:::

Re: (The failure to) Go West

Post by christopher::: »

pink_trike wrote: ...or layering more superstition and misconceptions on top of multiple layers of delusion and magical thinking. Not all types of "Buddhism" are appropriate for the collective Western mind in the condition its in, imo.
Fighting words, lol... :tongue:

"As Buddhists, we should aim to develop relationships that are not predominated by grasping and clinging. Our relationships should be characterised by the brahmaviharas of metta (loving kindness), mudita (sympathetic joy), karuna (compassion), and upekkha (equanimity)."
~post by Ben, Jul 02, 2009
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings pink_trike,
pink_trike wrote:Not all types of "Buddhism" are appropriate for the collective Western mind in the condition its in, imo.
...says the self-confessed non-religious practitioner of Theravada, Mahayana/Vajrayana, and Tibetan Bon Dzogchen mind-training. ;)

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
pink_trike

Post by pink_trike »

After 10 years of intensive psychotherapy, a monkish life, and nearly 3 decades of practice. Whippersnapper. ;)

I've seen too many people here in the U.S. over the last 30 years lose their minds after they become involved with some types of Buddhism, and worked with too many of them in my private practice. If I was the king of the world, I'd mandate that Westerners start with a decade of strict Theravada _practice_
Vision is Mind
Mind is Empty
Emptiness is Clear Light
Clear Light is Union
Union is Great Bliss

- Dawa Gyaltsen

---

Disclaimer: I'm a non-religious practitioner of Theravada, Mahayana/Vajrayana, and Tibetan Bon Dzogchen mind-training.
Assaji

Post by Assaji »

Hi,
There are a handful of surviving references to Buddhism in the Hellenistic world scattered around. One says that a Greek monarch converted to Buddhism but there's no independent verification of this.
In my opinion, there is independent verification:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Menander_I" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Metta, Dmytro
genkaku

Post by genkaku »

If I was the king of the world, I'd mandate that Westerners start with a decade of strict Theravada _practice_
Dear PT -- Crass (but apt) phrase alert!

There used to be a saying that went something like, "he's so dumb, he'd f*** up a wet dream." And I imagine that any one of us might be accused of the same. In my view, there just plain does not exist a thing that is so good or true or warming that it cannot lead a person down some silly or painful garden path: It is the individual, after all, and his or her understanding or misunderstanding that counts ... not the thing that is so good and pure.

To my way of thinking, people choose their lies. Maybe very good lies, maybe very deluded lies, maybe some mixture ... it depends on the individual, not on the praise or blame that anyone else might heap on the lie. But the important part of this scenario is not the cringing that may follow the use of the word "lie," but the willingness, based on honest-to-goodness suffering, to get to the bottom of that lie ... to see things through ... right down to the truth.

Buddhism is not built for people who get things right. If they got things right, why would they bother with Buddhism in the first place? I simply don't know a practicing Buddhist who has not made and who does not continue to make mistakes ... sometimes things that can be corrected, sometimes leading to some very profound psychological misadventures. But whatever their mistakes, the imperatives of suffering mean, for many people, that they feel they must choose some way to find relief. Sometimes they choose wisely. Sometimes not. Either way, there is suffering and a longing to end that suffering.

Is Buddhism a better choice than, say, skeet shooting? Maybe so, but I have not consulted with the skeet shooters of this world, so the fact is I don't honestly know. I do know what I have chosen. I do try to avoid subtle and gross mistakes ... and often fail. But is there a fail-safe way, even in Buddhism? I doubt it. There is just this effort, whatever it is. There are pointers from good friends and a number of enemies, but in the end, there is just this effort ... and a hope that I will see things through for once in my life.

Sorry for all the blither.
Mexicali

Post by Mexicali »

Individual

Not that Christians and Muslims with swords haven't had an impact on Buddhist historically, but it doesn't work to explain completely why Buddhism didn't spread west. It had about 300-400 years before Christianity even appeared to get rolling (depending on whose estimate of the Buddha's life we believe), and a couple more centuries before Christianity became a paying concern, then a couple more centuries until Islam appeared on the scene. Why didn't mostly-Pagan Eurasia embrace Buddhism? Islam may have decimated Buddhism in India, Afghanistan, etc, but it can't explain why it never seemed to take hold west of there in the first place.

Dmytro

Thanks for the link but I meant that an actual monarch of Greece proper is mentioned as a convert at one point, as opposed to one of the Greco-Asians. The Greek influence is obvious in a lot of early Buddhist art though.
"We do not embrace reason at the expense of emotion. We embrace it at the expense of self-deception."
-- Herbert Muschamp
Ngawang Drolma.

Post by Ngawang Drolma. »

It is the individual, after all, and his or her understanding or misunderstanding that counts ... not the thing that is so good and pure.
Thank you, genkaku. I can relate to your statement, and particularly the piece about transformation.

How people make use of the triple gem isn't an indication of its actual worth, imho.
Likewise, if you are meditating on a corpse, does that corpse become an object of dharma for you?
But normally we don't think of something that's in a state of decay in that way.

:anjali:
Buddhaghosha gives a number of guidelines on how it [corpse meditation] is to be taken. Firstly, he recommends that the monk should undertake this practice only after informing his superiors of his intention. ‘Why?’ he asks rhetorically. ‘Because if all his [the monk’s] limbs are seized with shuddering at the charnel ground, or if his gorge rises when he is confronted with disagreeable objects such as the visible forms and the sounds of non-human beings, lions, tigers etc., or something else afflicts him, then he whom he told will have his bowl and robe well looked after in the monastery, or he will care for him be sending bhikkhus [monks] or novices to him.’ Indeed, according to Buddhaghosha, the correct way to set out to perform the meditation is not with a kind of anticipatory terror, but rather, ‘happy and joyful as a nobleman on his way to the scene of anointing… or as a pauper on his way to unearth a hidden treasure.’

-Vishuddhimagga of Acharya Buddhaghosha
Individual

Post by Individual »

Mexicali wrote: Not that Christians and Muslims with swords haven't had an impact on Buddhist historically, but it doesn't work to explain completely why Buddhism didn't spread west.
I think it did. I think that Greek philosophy and Christianity (and thus Islam too) were both heavily influenced by Indian (Buddhist) thought. But they simply didn't call it "Buddhism," and things like statues of Buddha, the name of Buddha, actual groups of people calling themselves Buddhists, etc., didn't make their way west because they would have been killed by Christians and Muslims, for being seen as pagans and idolaters. Both Jews and Christians (somewhat) lived side-by-side and both Jews and Muslims too lived side-by-side, because their beliefs, while not being the same, were close enough that they could mostly tolerate eachother (with exceptions, like the Crusades). But with the Buddhists' rejection of a monotheistic God, their statues, etc., they would've been wiped out, just as the Israelites, Christians, and Muslims eradicated various religious groups throughout the world.
The best things in life aren't things.

The Diamond Sutra
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

there was probably no reason for it to take hold in the west. religion in the past seems to have been more more um, practical(?) , if things were going well then the gods are real and we're doing it right, but if someone takes over the empire or whatever then their gods must be more powerful etc. religions in the past seem to work top down; whatever the ruling class is doing spreads.
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
Individual

Post by Individual »

Also, considering the existence of Buddhist shrines in Afghanistan, until they were destroyed by the Taliban, Buddhists did make their way westward... Not very effectively, though, because there have been zealots historically, like the Taliban, that wiped them out and destroyed whatever they built, so they had to retreat eastward.
The best things in life aren't things.

The Diamond Sutra
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

From the very little reading that I've done the above does not accord with historical evidence. The reasons for the Dharma's failure to spread were a lot more complex than a supposedly militant attitude of Christians and Muslims.

There is some relevant discussion here:

http://www.lioncity.net/buddhism/index. ... 17&t=87105

_/|\_
_/|\_
floating_abu

Post by floating_abu »

pink_trike wrote:If I was the king of the world, I'd mandate that Westerners start with a decade of strict Theravada _practice_
Everyone speaks from their own experience only.
pink_trike wrote:I've seen too many people here in the U.S. over the last 30 years lose their minds after they become involved with some types of Buddhism, and worked with too many of them in my private practice.
What type of problems are experienced, that you have seen? :namaste:
pink_trike

Post by pink_trike »

genkaku wrote:
If I was the king of the world, I'd mandate that Westerners start with a decade of strict Theravada _practice_
Dear PT -- Crass (but apt) phrase alert!

There used to be a saying that went something like, "he's so dumb, he'd f*** up a wet dream." And I imagine that any one of us might be accused of the same. In my view, there just plain does not exist a thing that is so good or true or warming that it cannot lead a person down some silly or painful garden path: It is the individual, after all, and his or her understanding or misunderstanding that counts ... not the thing that is so good and pure.

To my way of thinking, people choose their lies. Maybe very good lies, maybe very deluded lies, maybe some mixture ... it depends on the individual, not on the praise or blame that anyone else might heap on the lie. But the important part of this scenario is not the cringing that may follow the use of the word "lie," but the willingness, based on honest-to-goodness suffering, to get to the bottom of that lie ... to see things through ... right down to the truth.

Buddhism is not built for people who get things right. If they got things right, why would they bother with Buddhism in the first place? I simply don't know a practicing Buddhist who has not made and who does not continue to make mistakes ... sometimes things that can be corrected, sometimes leading to some very profound psychological misadventures. But whatever their mistakes, the imperatives of suffering mean, for many people, that they feel they must choose some way to find relief. Sometimes they choose wisely. Sometimes not. Either way, there is suffering and a longing to end that suffering.

Is Buddhism a better choice than, say, skeet shooting? Maybe so, but I have not consulted with the skeet shooters of this world, so the fact is I don't honestly know. I do know what I have chosen. I do try to avoid subtle and gross mistakes ... and often fail. But is there a fail-safe way, even in Buddhism? I doubt it. There is just this effort, whatever it is. There are pointers from good friends and a number of enemies, but in the end, there is just this effort ... and a hope that I will see things through for once in my life.

Sorry for all the blither.

Pure and Good? No, I've never said that. Just saying that if it's a house of cards that's being built, at least start with a solid foundation so that wind meets mountain.
Vision is Mind
Mind is Empty
Emptiness is Clear Light
Clear Light is Union
Union is Great Bliss

- Dawa Gyaltsen

---

Disclaimer: I'm a non-religious practitioner of Theravada, Mahayana/Vajrayana, and Tibetan Bon Dzogchen mind-training.
pink_trike

Post by pink_trike »

floating_abu wrote:
pink_trike wrote:
pink_trike wrote:I've seen too many people here in the U.S. over the last 30 years lose their minds after they become involved with some types of Buddhism, and worked with too many of them in my private practice.
What type of problems are experienced, that you have seen? :namaste:
Speaking very generally:

- Deprivation that borders on or becomes self-abuse.
- Self-loathing.
- Pathological nihilism.
- Paranoia.
- Delusions of grandeur and attainment.
- Clinical depression.
- Hysteria.
- Psychosis.
- Extreme intellectual rigidity, or extreme lack of personal boundaries.
- Pathological fear of ghosts, spirits, etc...
- OCD
- runaway magical thinking

Likely for some of these mind-states the seeds were already present when the person discovered Buddhism, but for some people psychopathology clearly emerges after their engagement with Buddhism (also true with other forms of religion) and for many become increasingly worse the longer they practiced/studied. It's easy to say that they just didn't have right view, or that they weren't practicing incorrectly, or that they needed more sangha/teacher support, but these are all rationalizations. The mind doesn't have a neat and orderly way of allowing one form of irrationality while precisely not allowing other forms of irrationality. For many humans, the irrationality of religion serves as a gateway for the egoic embracement of other irrational mind-states. Religion, including Buddhism if it is engaged with religiosity, is easy pickin's for the crafty ego in it's quest to run the show. The idea that Buddhism is benign isn't consistent with reality. It is mind-altering, and just like with mind-altering substances, not everyone has a good trip.
Last edited by pink_trike on Fri May 08, 2009 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vision is Mind
Mind is Empty
Emptiness is Clear Light
Clear Light is Union
Union is Great Bliss

- Dawa Gyaltsen

---

Ngawang Drolma.

Post by Ngawang Drolma. »

Pure and Good? No, I've never said that. Just saying that if it's a house of cards that's being built, at least start with a solid foundation so that wind meets mountain.
- Delusions of grandeur and attainment.
- Clinical depression.
- Psychosis.
- Extreme intellectual rigidity, or extreme lack of personal boundaries.
- OCD
- runaway magical thinking
For many humans, the irrationality of religion serves as a gateway for the egoic embracement of other irrational mind-states
Religion, including Buddhism if it is engaged with religiosity, is easy pickin's for the crafty ego in it's quest to run the show.
I've seen it happen to some, what Pink Trike describes. The mind can be a dangerous place. It's the person not the religion, of course. But I don't think PT is really putting the responsibility on Buddhism.

:|