10-day goenka retreat

On the cultivation of insight/wisdom
delf7

Re: 10-day goenka retreat

Post by delf7 »

after giving this much thought, i have decided to apply for the course. i had planned to "jump right in" a.s.a.p., but some good advice here has led me to decide to wait a little longer, so i could have a little more practice under my belt, and give me time to read more of the suttas to achive better footing before taking on the 10-day session.
the whole "could be a cult" warnings do not bother me, as i think it would be easy to call ANY retreat such as this "cult-ish".
my brother, who is also going to take the course, wisely pointed out that his experiences with A.A., as well as the u.s. military, could be called "cult-ish". as could be some kid's summer "bible study" camp. it seems that anything someone else doesn't understand could be called a "cult", so that doesn't worry me.
i am looking forward to it, but i am very aware that i need to "get ready" for it. much more reading, much more study and much much more practice need to be done before this undertaking.
in a nut shell, all i hope to get out of it is to better my understanding of vipassana. i can see nothing negative coming from the experience. as long as i learn something, even if only learning something about myself, it will be well worth it.
thank you all for your input, and we will let this interesting discussion continue.
kind regards,
delf
David2

Post by David2 »

delf7 wrote: i am looking forward to it, but i am very aware that i need to "get ready" for it. much more reading, much more study and much much more practice need to be done before this undertaking.
Don't worry too much.
S. N. Goenka says to absolute beginners: "Don't prepare."
Afaik he himself did not practice meditation at all before going to his first U Ba Khin retreat.
The 10-day courses do not require any preparation or knowledge.
The courses are the preparation for the daily practice.
S. N. Goenka uses the term "Dhamma kindergarden" for the courses. :-)
SamKR

Post by SamKR »

Thank you very much Ben for your nice reply. :twothumbsup:
delf7 wrote:after giving this much thought, i have decided to apply for the course. i had planned to "jump right in" a.s.a.p., but some good advice here has led me to decide to wait a little longer, so i could have a little more practice under my belt, and give me time to read more of the suttas to achive better footing before taking on the 10-day session.
As David said above "a little more practice" of meditation is not required to take the first course in Vipassana of U Ba Khin tradition. However, practicing other basic aspects of Dhamma (like Śīla), and preparing oneself to be open to this method before taking the course would certainly help.
the whole "could be a cult" warnings do not bother me, as i think it would be easy to call ANY retreat such as this "cult-ish".
Yes. I could never understand how Vipassana in Goenkaji's tradition could be a "cult". I have met many spiritual traditions, and I would say that this tradition is one of the least "cultish", or not "cultish" at all. As Ben said the request for commitment is a not bad thing, if you are really serious. Of course, being a big organization there could be a few people whose behavior or attitude may cause suspicion, but these are just exceptions.
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
Jhana4

Post by Jhana4 »

Hi delf7;

My apologies for posting a link for an answer, but I've written these responses a few times:
tips for when going on a Goenka retreat

I've been to two Goenka retreats in the U.S. back in the 90s. I've read the criticisms on the internet of the Goenka retreats. I don't think they are fair. I say that as someone who doesn't care for the organization, as I see it as having an authoritarian and sycophantic subculture ( which will not be an issue for you going on a 10 day retreat ). The retreats did a lot for me and can do a lot of for you. Just don't take that center's take on meditation and Buddhism as the last word. If you stay with Buddhist meditation you will eventually want to attend retreats from different organizations and study Buddhism on your own.
In reading the scriptures, there are two kinds of mistakes:
One mistake is to cling to the literal text and miss the inner principles.
The second mistake is to recognize the principles but not apply them to your own mind, so that you waste time and just make them into causes of entanglement.
Clarence

Post by Clarence »

Just make sure you are prepared for the chanting. :rolleye:
delf7

Post by delf7 »

CHANTING?
they really stress the whole "noble silence" thing, so i figured it'd be quiet. or, i was HOPEING.
cooran

Post by cooran »

Hello all,

Goenka retreat- aversion towards Chanting
http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=8667" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm booked for another Goenka retreat 26 Dec - 6 Jan at Pomona Queensland - hopefully work will give me leave.

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi delf,
delf7 wrote:CHANTING?
they really stress the whole "noble silence" thing, so i figured it'd be quiet. or, i was HOPEING.
The chanting occurs, mainly, during the 4.30AM-6.30AM meditation in the hall and it is SN Goenka chanting different suttas.
There are a few minutes of chants at te beginning and at the end of each group sit. The chanting is done by SN Goenka and no one else.
Aversion to the chanting is a common reaction.
kind regards,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
pilgrim

Post by pilgrim »

I intend to sign up for my 1st Goenka course in March. I'm impressed with the testimonials I've come across and like the fact that it starts of with 3 days of Samatha. It seems more orthodox then the "dry vipassana" approach. Although I'm aware that the chanting grates on some peoples nerves, I appreciate that it represents an anchor in the Theravada tradition, without which it becomes just another secular meditation system.
Buckwheat

Post by Buckwheat »

You got me excited... I really like chanting. It gets some blood flow, forces some deep breathing, connects the thoughts to the body, has a soothing feeling, etc. Then I realized you mean I get to listen to somebody chant on a recording.... that sounds horrible!!
Sotthī hontu nirantaraṃ - May you forever be well.
Ben

Post by Ben »

Buckwheat wrote:You got me excited... I really like chanting. It gets some blood flow, forces some deep breathing, connects the thoughts to the body, has a soothing feeling, etc. Then I realized you mean I get to listen to somebody chant on a recording.... that sounds horrible!!
Don't let it worry you. Do what everyone else does during the chanting - meditate. If you find it really disagreeable you will probably be allowed to meditate in your room during the 4.30AM-6.30AM sitting. Also keep in mind that part of the 'training' is to develop equanimity!
All the best,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
delf7

Post by delf7 »

i shall see (or hear) for myself, but now that i think about it, the chanting may be a good way to drown out other, more subtle, noises that actually may be more annoying, like someone's nose whistling, a chair creaking, etc...
and beings the chanting is only a recording of the teacher puts my mind at ease. i was envisioning a room full of people all chanting thier own things, which i think would be quite distracting.
regardless, i have applied for a course and am looking forward to hearing back from them to find out if i am accepted.
delf
Monkey Mind

Post by Monkey Mind »

My first retreat, whenever Goenka was chanting, I could not help but think of:
At some point, I burst out laughing because I could not get this image out of my head.
"As I am, so are others;
as others are, so am I."
Having thus identified self and others,
harm no one nor have them harmed.

Sutta Nipāta 3.710
delf7

Post by delf7 »

FINALLY !
i have been waiting 10 days to hear the news, and i just recieved e-mail from the meditation center informing me that my application has been accepted !!!
it is still a few months away, but i am pretty excited about it.
thanx to all who gave me advice & information about the retreat.
kind regards,
delf