What does Phra mean?

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
Cittasanto

What does Phra mean?

Post by Cittasanto »

just what it says on the tin what does Phra Mean cant find a meaning anywhere? I was asked before by my partner and when I tryed to look it up couldn't find anything.

feel a bit dozzy for it as it is something I see quite often and never found out about.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
appicchato

Re: What does Phra mean?

Post by appicchato »

Manapa wrote:just what it says on the tin what does Phra Mean cant find a meaning anywhere? I was asked before by my partner and when I tryed to look it up couldn't find anything.

feel a bit dozzy for it as it is something I see quite often and never found out about.
Bhikkhu...monk... :smile:
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

It's the Thai pronunciation of the Sanskrit or Pali bara, which is an alternative spelling of the more common vara. Vara can be either an adjective meaning excellent or a noun meaning a boon or blessing.
Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

In whatever way they conceive it,
It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)
appicchato

Post by appicchato »

Looks like I stepped in it there...

Thank you Bhante...
floating_abu

Post by floating_abu »

appicchato wrote:Looks like I stepped in it there...

Thank you Bhante...
And you, Bhante :anjali:
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Dhammanando wrote:It's the Thai pronunciation of the Sanskrit or Pali bara, which is an alternative spelling of the more common vara. Vara can be either an adjective meaning excellent or a noun meaning a boon or blessing.
so what would it be when with a monks name such as Phra Manapa (not trying to be conceited or anything just an example honest :tongue: ) could it be blessed so&so

I have seen it mainly ascociated with buildings in my search yesterday but the question came from its use with a name which I have come across more often.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
gavesako

Post by gavesako »

See the third paragraph in this text by Ajahn Chah:

http://www.ajahnchah.org/book/Path_Peace.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Once ordained as Buddhist monastics, on the conventional level we are called monks and given the title 'Venerable'5; but simply having taken on the external appearance of monks does not make us truly venerable. Being monks on the conventional level means we are monks as far as our physical appearance goes. Simply by shaving our heads and putting on brown robes we are called 'Venerable', but that which is truly worthy of veneration has not yet arisen within us - we are still only 'Venerable' in name. It's the same as when they mould cement or cast brass into a Buddha image: they call it a Buddha, but it isn't really that. It's just metal, wood, wax or stone. That's the way conventional reality is.
Bhikkhu Gavesako
Kiṃkusalagavesī anuttaraṃ santivarapadaṃ pariyesamāno... (MN 26)

Access to Insight - Theravada texts
Ancient Buddhist Texts - Translations and history of Pali texts
Dhammatalks.org - Sutta translations