Shakya=Scythian?

Textual analysis and comparative discussion on early Buddhist sects and texts.
Kusala
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1006

Shakya=Scythian?

Postby Kusala » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:39 pm

Hello Dhamma friends. Some scholars suggest the Buddha's clan may have been Scythian. Is there any truth to it?

Homage to the Buddha
Thus indeed, is that Blessed One: He is the Holy One, fully enlightened, endowed with clear vision and virtuous conduct, sublime, the Knower of the worlds, the incomparable leader of men to be tamed, the teacher of gods and men, enlightened and blessed.

Homage to the Teachings
The Dhamma of the Blessed One is perfectly expounded; to be seen here and now; not delayed in
time; inviting one to come and see; onward leading (to Nibbana); to be known by the wise, each for himself.

Kim OHara
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 6

Re: Shakya=Scythian?

Postby Kim OHara » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:44 pm

Hi, Kusala,
Three answers - accept any or all of them as you like :smile: because I think they are all correct.
(1) It doesn't matter. What matters is what he taught.
(2) Probably not, going by http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scythians - but 'Scythian' is so poorly defined anyway that the answer is not going to be very meaningful.
(3) If you said which scholars and where, we might be able to give you a more reasoned response to their claims.

:namaste:
Kim

jayarava

Postby jayarava » Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:38 pm

Actually no less a scholar that Professor Michael Witzel has recently proposed, in an online forum (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Indo-Eura ... sage/13470), that the Śākya tribe may well have been related to the Śakas of Iran. Anyone wishing to follow this up can consult his published essay: The Development of the Vedic Canon and its Schools: The Social and Political Milieu. http://www.people.fas.harvard.edu/~witzel/canon.pdf

serenadesea
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1001

Postby serenadesea » Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:28 am

:coffee:

I have been studying the Scythians, and I think what you might be referring to is the fact that the Scythians were pre-cursors to the Tocharians, who migrated out of Scythia into China's Tarim Basin, along the Silk Road. They referred to themselves as "the Buddhi" :buddha2: and learned of Buddhism from the Scythian Kushites in northern India, due to their proselytizing efforts along the Silk Road, in approximately 100 CE.

A large cache of Tocharian texts was found, starting in the late 1800's and into the early 1900's, which demonstrates a philosophy which was not only Buddhist, but also Taoist nature.

Siddhartha Buddha and Lao Tzu were born in the same century (6th BCE). The Tocharians were situated along the Silk Road in such a position as to gain the best of both worlds, as they were in-between India and China.

The Tocharians migrated far and wide, even into Viet Nam and Malaysia, where Tocharian artifacts, such as statues of people seated in the lotus position, have been found, which have been attributed to them.

Tocharian mummies were found, in the Tarim Basin, dating back approximately 4,000 years. They had light colored hair and blue eyes.

I think this might answer your question.

As far as I can see, the Scythians of the Caspian Sea area did not meditate.

Kim OHara

Postby Kim OHara » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:58 am

Could be, Serenadesea. :smile:
I checked out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tocharians and it seems that times and places match up pretty well but details are extremely sketchy ... no great surprise, really.

:reading:
Kim

Return to “Early Buddhism”