Proselytizing

Exploring the Dhamma, as understood from the perspective of the ancient Pali commentaries.
Buckwheat

Proselytizing

Post by Buckwheat »

What does the Canon say about proselytizing? Are there different rules or conventions for monks vs lay followers? Where is the line between general conversation and proselytizing? What would be the pro/cons?

While proselytizing is not exactly in my character (I tend to hide my Buddhism from people), I do see why a person might want to proselytize. Buddhism has been a wonderful and powerful force in my life, and when I see other people suffering there is a small part of me that is tempted to start spewing dhamma and praising Buddha. Three things prevent this: 1) lack of skill leading to embarrassment - I don't have a well practiced set of talking points and I'm not strong in a debate, 2) it doesn't seem to be a part of the tradition, and 3) it would often cause anger or defensiveness in the other person.
Sotthī hontu nirantaraṃ - May you forever be well.
cooran

Re: Proselytizing

Post by cooran »

Hello Buckwheat,

This thread may be of interest:
Go forth, o bhikkhus !
http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=10678" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---