veg*n advice

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
tara

veg*n advice

Post by tara »

i have food allergies/sensitivities to many "healthy" foods, including:

- legumes (i.e. soy, alfalfa, carob, any and all beans, etc.)
- tomatoes and many other fruits
- many nuts

i want to be vegan, but can only handle vegetarianism due to my allergies (i.e. i eat dairy and eggs). so in terms of protein, what else can i eat to make sure i get all my nutrients without having to take artificial supplements all of the time? i do drink hemp shakes and eat quinoa (although the taste is awful to me), but what other options do i have in becoming a true vegan if i cut out beans, soy, and nuts?

metta.
"if you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them."
~ hh dalai lama
Ben

Re: veg*n advice

Post by Ben »

I actually really enjoy the taste of quinoa. I guess its all in the way you cook it.
I recommend that you speak with your doctor or a dietitian to negotiate your allergies and your vegan lifestyle.
I don't have allergies (apart from hayfever) and I have a very varied diet but I found recent attempts to adopt a vegan diet resulted in developing a rare form of anaemia.
kind regards,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
tara

Post by tara »

Ben wrote:I actually really enjoy the taste of quinoa. I guess its all in the way you cook it.
I recommend that you speak with your doctor or a dietitian to negotiate your allergies and your vegan lifestyle.
I don't have allergies (apart from hayfever) and I have a very varied diet but I found recent attempts to adopt a vegan diet resulted in developing a rare form of anaemia.
kind regards,

Ben
i've quinoa pasta before, but it's mixed with corn, so i never know how much of it is actually the quinoa i'm enjoying.

i fear that many of my allergies may have to do with "leaky gut syndrome." the GAPS diet is supposed to be good for healing this, but it involves eating meat and broth from animals. a quandary for me.

thanks. :)
"if you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them."
~ hh dalai lama
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Protein is in just about every food, even the vegan ones. Here is a list of protein content in some vegan foods:

http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/protein.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Did you know that even an orange contains about 1 gram of protein? Just about anything that grows has some protein. The higher amounts are in soy, nuts, animal products, etc., but the human body does not need too much protein.
To meet protein recommendations, the typical adult male vegan needs only 2.5 to 2.9 grams of protein per 100 calories and the typical adult female vegan needs only 2.1 to 2.4 grams of protein per 100 calories. These recommendations can be easily met from vegan sources.
fxam

Post by fxam »

tara wrote:i have food allergies/sensitivities to many "healthy" foods, including:

- legumes (i.e. soy, alfalfa, carob, any and all beans, etc.)
- tomatoes and many other fruits
- many nuts

i want to be vegan, but can only handle vegetarianism due to my allergies (i.e. i eat dairy and eggs). so in terms of protein, what else can i eat to make sure i get all my nutrients without having to take artificial supplements all of the time? i do drink hemp shakes and eat quinoa (although the taste is awful to me), but what other options do i have in becoming a true vegan if i cut out beans, soy, and nuts?

metta.
Maybe you can try liver and gallbladder cleanse (the one that drinks apple juice and olive oil) which may help your allergies. I personally have done four cleanses but cannot comment on the allergies since I have none. But the cleanses did help improving my digestion.

Here are the cleansing recipes and FAQ: http://curezone.com/gallstones/default.asp
Make sure you read thoroughly to decide whether you are suitable and have confidence to do it. I personaly prefer this method (http://curezone.com/cleanse/liver/huldas_recipe.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) but on top of it, I also drink apple juice for 5 days before doing it. It's one liter of apple juice per day for 5 days, it's better if you can juice yourself but I drink unsweetened packaged juice.

Here's a nice book if you need the reasoning behind liver cleanse
http://liverandgallbladderflush.com/

Leaky gut syndrome? I found this and it mentions liver cleanse: http://curezone.com/diseases/leakygut/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jhana4

Post by Jhana4 »

tara wrote: so in terms of protein, what else can i eat
Seitan ( wheat gluten ) and faux meats made with it. Legumes are an important source of lysine, so if you can't eat those at all, make sure you eat a lot of quinoa and pistachios.

You may find this site helpful
veganhealth.org
In reading the scriptures, there are two kinds of mistakes:
One mistake is to cling to the literal text and miss the inner principles.
The second mistake is to recognize the principles but not apply them to your own mind, so that you waste time and just make them into causes of entanglement.