Why one meal a day?

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
manas

Re: Why one meal a day?

Postby manas » Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:05 am

Zom wrote:I think that this is not too skilful to depend on some substances in meditation - like coffee or analgesics or whatever.

The right way to overcome sloth and torpor is to clean the mind with the help of Dhamma.
As I found out, when I'm slack in my practice, sloth and torpor overwhelms my mind. But if I keep on being mindful and meditate 1-2 hours a day - then I'm free of sloth and torpor all the time, every day, both in and out of meditation, and sometimes it is even difficult to fall asleep because of the aroused inner energy ,)
Hi Zom,
I'm well aware of the Buddha's instructions for the dispelling of sloth and torpor, and caffeine wasn't on the list as I recall. Yeah, I guess I'm just imperfect. It could also have to do with my often unusual and disruptive routines, however. (May I ask if you have kids to look after, for example?) Furthermore, you took what I said the wrong way, I'm not 'depending' on caffeine in the way you seem to think, although as I said in my capricious way, it does seem to have it's uses sometimes. But I really have to be more careful what I write here, as I guess on an online forum people will take things literally, and miss (my obviously failed attempt at) irony. Anyway, we should be here to encourage, rather then criticize each other, so - I'm glad to hear you are able to deal with this issue well, very good.

manas.
Then the Blessed One, picking up a tiny bit of dust with the tip of his fingernail, said to the monk, "There isn't even this much form...feeling...
perception...fabrications...consciousness that is constant, lasting, eternal, not subject to change, that will stay just as it is as long as eternity."

(SN 22.97)

Zom

Postby Zom » Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:16 pm

(May I ask if you have kids to look after, for example?)

Daughter, 6 y.o. .) She is cool 8-)

I'm glad to hear you are able to deal with this issue well, very good.

Me too used to drink strong tea at numerous 2-days retreats in our center (especially in the morning time). However, as I found out, this doesn't work too well. Dhamma methods proved to be better .)

bodom

Postby bodom » Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:15 pm

Zom wrote:
(May I ask if you have kids to look after, for example?)

Daughter, 6 y.o. .) She is cool 8-)

Great pic Zom!

:anjali:
“What should be done for his disciples out of compassion by a teacher who seeks their welfare and has compassion for them, that I have done for you, bhikkhus. There are these roots of trees, these empty huts. Meditate, bhikkhus, do not delay or else you will regret it later. This is our instruction to you.” - MN 19

Paul Davy
Site Admin

Postby Paul Davy » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:12 pm

:thumbsup:
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"Whether I were to preach in brief, Sāriputta, or whether I were to preach in detail, Sāriputta, or whether I were to preach both in brief or in detail, Sāriputta, rare are those who understand." (A I 333, Sāriputtasutta)

bodom

Postby bodom » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:16 pm

Very good posture I might add. Better than mine! :jumping:

“What should be done for his disciples out of compassion by a teacher who seeks their welfare and has compassion for them, that I have done for you, bhikkhus. There are these roots of trees, these empty huts. Meditate, bhikkhus, do not delay or else you will regret it later. This is our instruction to you.” - MN 19

manas

Postby manas » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:18 pm

She is 6 years old, and can sit still and meditate? Sadhu, Zom! She actually looks very focussed in that picture.

Then the Blessed One, picking up a tiny bit of dust with the tip of his fingernail, said to the monk, "There isn't even this much form...feeling...
perception...fabrications...consciousness that is constant, lasting, eternal, not subject to change, that will stay just as it is as long as eternity."

(SN 22.97)

Zom

Postby Zom » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:11 am

There's one more funny pic ,)

However, no, she does not meditate at all - these couple of shots where taken when she was going to parody my own sittings )) But anyway, she is a wise, she does understand many important Dhammas and she even maganes to control her negative states, replacing them with positive ones - by her own.

There is one more, very interesting and I must say, astonishing picture. This she painted a year ago, when she was five. You will never guess what is that. Her explanation was the following: Here is a girl (only one girl, not two). This girl has a cat. When the mind of the girl is defiled - then she beats this cat with a broom while the cat is trying to get some food. However, if the mind is not defiled, she smiles and feeds the cat by herself. Four baloons mean the quantity of defilements in the mind. The first one has too much inside, so this is bad (marked by "X"). The second one has a bit less, but still doesn't fit (also marked by "X"). The third one has only a tiny piece of defilements - but even this is not enough (marked by "X"). While the last one, near the smiling girl, is OK, has no defilements and marked by "V").
:idea:
Last edited by Zom on Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

cooran

Postby cooran » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:34 am

Hello Zom,

The page that comes up for me in the link, appears to be a log-in page in a non-english language.

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---

Zom

Postby Zom » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:06 am

Fixed ,)

manas

Postby manas » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:42 am

Hi Zom,

that she associates the 'clear mind' (empty of defilements) with the positive mind-state of metta (smiling girl feeding the cat) - there's some insight there. I think she is a wise little being.

(SN 22.97)

fxam

Postby fxam » Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:22 pm

What portion size do you have when you practice one meal a day?
Do you eat until you feel very full (to 'cover' the hungriness at night), or just enough?
Do you chew throughoutly?

acinteyyo

Postby acinteyyo » Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:41 pm

fxam wrote:What portion size do you have when you practice one meal a day?
Do you eat until you feel very full (to 'cover' the hungriness at night), or just enough?

I just eat enough. I stop eating just a bit before I feel full and drink a glas of water or two afterwards.
When you're not accustomed to eating once a day you may feel hungry first but your body will adjust to the new situation in a few days.

best wishes, acinteyyo
Thag 1.20. Ajita - I do not fear death; nor do I long for life. I’ll lay down this body, aware and mindful.

fxam

Postby fxam » Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:58 pm

acinteyyo wrote:
fxam wrote:What portion size do you have when you practice one meal a day?

I just eat enough. I stop eating just a bit before I feel full and drink a glas of water or two afterwards.
When you're not accustomed to eating once a day you may feel hungry first but your body will adjust to the new situation in a few days.

best wishes, acinteyyo

Thanks, what do you drink between the only meal and the next meal, only plain water?

acinteyyo

Postby acinteyyo » Sun Dec 25, 2011 3:44 am

fxam wrote:Thanks, what do you drink between the only meal and the next meal, only plain water?
Predominantly water but I drink whatever I want provided that it's available. Sometimes coffee and also milk.

best wishes acinteyyo
Thag 1.20. Ajita - I do not fear death; nor do I long for life. I’ll lay down this body, aware and mindful.

fxam

Postby fxam » Sun Dec 25, 2011 3:10 pm

Thank you. I have been practising two meals per day for a week (light breakfast and normal lunch), hopefully I will make it to one meal per day.

manas

Postby manas » Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:11 am

fxam wrote:Thank you. I have been practising two meals per day for a week (light breakfast and normal lunch), hopefully I will make it to one meal per day.

Hi fxam,

one meal a day is ok for some body types, but might not work for all body types. Especially if (as I presume) you are a layperson with duties and / or work commitments, you might find that having both breakfast and lunch is necessary to keep your energy levels up (and your blood sugar levels steady). Keep in mind that so long as breakfast is consumed after sunrise, and lunch is consumed before noon, that you are still following the precept regarding allowable times for eating, that is followed in many monasteries! Unless your only daily tasks are meditation and teaching dhamma, I don't see why one meal a day is so important, imho.

with metta

(SN 22.97)

fxam

Postby fxam » Mon Dec 26, 2011 1:38 pm

manasikara wrote:one meal a day is ok for some body types, but might not work for all body types. Especially if (as I presume) you are a layperson with duties and / or work commitments, you might find that having both breakfast and lunch is necessary to keep your energy levels up (and your blood sugar levels steady). Keep in mind that so long as breakfast is consumed after sunrise, and lunch is consumed before noon, that you are still following the precept regarding allowable times for eating, that is followed in many monasteries! Unless your only daily tasks are meditation and teaching dhamma, I don't see why one meal a day is so important, imho.

with metta

Your suggestion is much appreciated. As a software engineer, my daily tasks are mainly computing and meeting, with some light yoga after work. I will certainly have breakfast if I find myself shaking :)

acinteyyo wrote:Predominantly water but I drink whatever I want provided that it's available. Sometimes coffee and also milk.
best wishes acinteyyo

On second thought, I have read that coffee and milk (even lemon juice) stimulates stomach acid production, maybe it's not such a good idea on an empty stomach?

David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby David N. Snyder » Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:12 pm

fxam wrote:On second thought, I have read that coffee and milk (even lemon juice) stimulates stomach acid production, maybe it's not such a good idea on an empty stomach?

Milk is a form of food, so not 100% in keeping with the one meal. But as long as you have not undertaken any formal precept, not an issue, if you enjoy milk or need it.

I drink tea and coffee (black) when not eating or in the later hours.

I have heard some people say that coffee stimulates their appetite and others who say it suppresses it. It seems to have mostly a neutral effect on me.

For the one meal / not eating after noon, fruit juice is acceptable.

acinteyyo

Postby acinteyyo » Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:54 pm

David N. Snyder wrote:
fxam wrote:On second thought, I have read that coffee and milk (even lemon juice) stimulates stomach acid production, maybe it's not such a good idea on an empty stomach?

Milk is a form of food, so not 100% in keeping with the one meal. But as long as you have not undertaken any formal precept, not an issue, if you enjoy milk or need it.

David is completely right, milk is considered a form of food in vinaya, but I don't. If you would undertake formal precept it wouldn't be in line with the precept but I don't undertake a formal precept anymore either. I just feel good with one meal, less lazy or dull and I'm not always 100% strict, if I need to eat more because I have done more physical activities I eat more. I listen closely to the signals of my body, the body knows exactly what's necessary and I provide it. I very rarely eat or drink because of delight.

To answer your question, in my eyes it depends on how your body reacts. Milk and coffee in moderation doesn't cause any inconvenience for myself but if it does for you it's probably not such a good idea. I think if you pay attention to your body you will easily know what's okay and what isn't.

best wishes, acinteyyo

fxam

Postby fxam » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:46 pm

I wonder if meditation restores energy as I found that sleep seems to do so. Now I practise having only plain warm water after noon. Sometimes when I have too much activity after noon time, I will feel weak at night. But as soon as I wake up in the morning, I feel energetic again. What do you think? I am going to try meditating after noon and see what happens.

Return to “Wellness, Diet & Fitness”