The other pandemic

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
Ben

The other pandemic

Post by Ben »

Some light relief:
http://www.theage.com.au/lifestyle/wrin ... -ar66.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
But not for the faint of heart!
Cheers

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Fede

Re: The other pandemic

Post by Fede »

"Keep young and beautiful,
It's your duty to be
beautiful!
Keep young and beautiful,
if you wanna be loved!"

oh dear, how dreadful, the trials and the tribulations of some folk, just break my itty-bitty heart..... :tongue:
"Samsara: The human condition's heartbreaking inability to sustain contentment." Elizabeth Gilbert, 'Eat, Pray, Love'.

Simplify: 17 into 1 WILL go: Mindfulness!

Quieta movere magna merces videbatur. (Sallust, c.86-c.35 BC)
Translation: Just to stir things up seemed a good reward in itself. ;)

I am sooooo happy - How on earth could I be otherwise?! :D

http://www.armchairadvice.co.uk/relationships/forum/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
genkaku

Post by genkaku »

Fun stuff, Ben ... dry and wry, but fun.

Thanks.
Jechbi

Post by Jechbi »

wrinkle.jpg
wrinkle.jpg (20.58 KiB) Viewed 1725 times
Rain soddens what is kept wrapped up,
But never soddens what is open;
Uncover, then, what is concealed,
Lest it be soddened by the rain.
pink_trike

Post by pink_trike »

heh...funny. I live in the realm of conspicuous "cosmetic enhancement". This place just swarms with 70-90 year old folks who have the face of a well-fed, stress-less 40 year old and the glossy hair of a twenty year old. When I first moved here it was unsettling to hear 80 year old voices rasping out of these smooth-faced, gilded, wide-eyed, perpetually smiling creatures. No signs of a wrinkle pandemic here yet (but I have noticed that the serious infestation of Hummers that arose a few years ago seems to be over).
Vision is Mind
Mind is Empty
Emptiness is Clear Light
Clear Light is Union
Union is Great Bliss

- Dawa Gyaltsen

---

Disclaimer: I'm a non-religious practitioner of Theravada, Mahayana/Vajrayana, and Tibetan Bon Dzogchen mind-training.
Fede

Post by Fede »

Ah Jechbi, the evil of sunbeds! And you're only 27 in that picture!!
"Samsara: The human condition's heartbreaking inability to sustain contentment." Elizabeth Gilbert, 'Eat, Pray, Love'.

Simplify: 17 into 1 WILL go: Mindfulness!

Quieta movere magna merces videbatur. (Sallust, c.86-c.35 BC)
Translation: Just to stir things up seemed a good reward in itself. ;)

I am sooooo happy - How on earth could I be otherwise?! :D

http://www.armchairadvice.co.uk/relationships/forum/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
appicchato

Post by appicchato »

The ear ring is cool... :pig:
genkaku

Post by genkaku »

pink_trike wrote:heh...funny. I live in the realm of conspicuous "cosmetic enhancement". This place just swarms with 70-90 year old folks who have the face of a well-fed, stress-less 40 year old and the glossy hair of a twenty year old. When I first moved here it was unsettling to hear 80 year old voices rasping out of these smooth-faced, gilded, wide-eyed, perpetually smiling creatures. No signs of a wrinkle pandemic here yet (but I have noticed that the serious infestation of Hummers that arose a few years ago seems to be over).
PT -- Did you ever see the movie "Brazil?" There was a quite horrifying/hilarious theme of two 40-50ish women getting perpetual cosmetic surgery. One turns into a vivacious twenty-something; the other remains as swathed in bandages as The Mummy.

And, associatively, I once saw a comedian I don't much care for doing a riff on his new wife. He seemed very pleased that she had various post-graduate degrees and was smart as a whip. He didn't much mind the various parts of the anatomy that might get old and saggy -- there were doctors who could fix that. "But stupid," he said, "is forever."
zavk

Post by zavk »

I love 'Brazil'! Thanks for mentioning it genkaku, I'm going to watch it again. :popcorn:

I must say aging and getting wrinkles on my face don't worry me a least bit (this is not to say I won't in the future). I say this not because I've had some deep realisation about the truth dukkha or anicca. But being of Asian descent, I easily look 5-8 years younger than I am. People are often taken aback when I tell them my age, or when I'm asked for my ID. To which I always ask, 'How many Asians do you know who actually look their age?' Or I indulge in frivolous speech by saying, 'Oh well, I've learnt to accept that I'm blessed with youthful good looks. I'm not surprised if people envy me'.
With metta,
zavk