going for alms?

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
acinteyyo

going for alms?

Post by acinteyyo »

Hi all,

I thought about leaving the household life after finishing military service but I don't plan to become a monk yet but rather travel around the world for some time living life in a way quite similar to the way of a bhikkhu. This may include going for alms in certain circumstances. My question is whether that may become a problem later if I decide to become ordained afterwards? I think I remember hardly that this is in conflict with the vinaya and may become a hindrance for ordination but I'm not sure...

best wishes, acinteyyo
Thag 1.20. Ajita - I do not fear death; nor do I long for life. I’ll lay down this body, aware and mindful.
cooran

Re: going for alms?

Post by cooran »

acinteyyo : This may include going for alms in certain circumstances.
I'm not sure about the Vinaya, but why would you do this anyway?

Why not save up before you go - like other backpackers, or get temporary jobs to cover expenses as you tour about?

There are legal restrictions against begging in many countries.

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
acinteyyo

Post by acinteyyo »

cooran wrote:
acinteyyo : This may include going for alms in certain circumstances.
I'm not sure about the Vinaya, but why would you do this anyway?

Why not save up before you go - like other backpackers, or get temporary jobs to cover expenses as you tour about?

There are legal restrictions against begging in many countries.

with metta
Chris
Hi Chris,

if I really go I wouldn't use any money. I may work for food but I would go for alms if I need to get food and couldn't gather it in any other way.
I know there are legal restrictions but I wouldn't beg like asking people for money or food but just stand somewhere in the background and wait with a bowl or something. If someone asks what I'm doing here I would answer that I'm waiting here for food. Nothing more... However I don't fear any consequences by law my actions may cause.
I'm not talking about a journey like backpacking tours or something like that but rather like a hermit. The focus is on meditation, seclusion, loneliness, wandering. Contact to society is limited in order to get food and water.
best wishes, acinteyyo
Thag 1.20. Ajita - I do not fear death; nor do I long for life. I’ll lay down this body, aware and mindful.
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

As long as you're not impersonating a Buddhist monk, there's no problem with begging, but you won't get much if anything, and you might get arrested.

There was a time when the FST monks stopped going for alms because of uncertainty over the begging laws in the UK.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
acinteyyo

Post by acinteyyo »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:As long as you're not impersonating a Buddhist monk, there's no problem with begging, but you won't get much if anything, and you might get arrested.

There was a time when the FST monks stopped going for alms because of uncertainty over the begging laws in the UK.
Thank you Bhante. I probably won't look like a buddhist monk and I don't want to appear like being one. If I don't get anything that's the way it will be as well as if I might get arrested. Society and its laws can't harm me in any way at all.
I just wanted to know whether it may become a hindrance for ordination later on.

best wishes, acinteyyo
Zom

Post by Zom »

You can join monk or a group of monks going on pindapat with them.
I had such experience ,)

What you do - is help them carrying their bag/bags. After that they can share with you the food collected ,)
acinteyyo

Post by acinteyyo »

Good idea Zom, maybe I give it a try...

best wishes, acinteyyo
Alobha

Post by Alobha »

As far as i know, you should be fine waiting for food in Germany.

I talked to a beggar about this kind of stuff a while back. He told me he got into trouble for shaking his mug with coins inside because of the rattling-sound ("just" an oral warning, no fine or arrest though). After he stopped that, he could sit all day at a market, just quiet and waiting.

I'd be glad if you could tell us at some point about the experience you had there.

Best Wishes,
Alobha
hermitwin

Post by hermitwin »

acinteyyo wrote:Good idea Zom, maybe I give it a try...

best wishes, acinteyyo
If you dont mind travelling to Asia, I can recommend a
meditation centre. It is run by a burmese monk who was
a doctor. he speaks english.
You dont have to be a monk to live at the centre, but you
do have to keep 8 precepts.

cheers.
acinteyyo

Post by acinteyyo »

Thank you all for your posts. Thing is I finish military service at the earliest in 2016. I try to prepare things by then...

best wishes, acinteyyo
Ytrog

Post by Ytrog »

acinteyyo wrote:Thank you all for your posts. Thing is I finish military service at the earliest in 2016. I try to prepare things by then...

best wishes, acinteyyo
I'm just curious, but are you conscripted?
Suffering is asking from life what it can never give you.
mindfulness, bliss and beyond (page 8) wrote:Do not linger on the past. Do not keep carrying around coffins full of dead moments
If you see any unskillful speech (or other action) from me let me know, so I can learn from it.
acinteyyo

Post by acinteyyo »

Ytrog wrote:
acinteyyo wrote:Thank you all for your posts. Thing is I finish military service at the earliest in 2016. I try to prepare things by then...

best wishes, acinteyyo
I'm just curious, but are you conscripted?
No I'm not. Six years ago I decided to join the german air-force voluntarily. Things have changed since then... naturally...

best wishes, acinteyyo