vow of silence

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
befriend

vow of silence

Post by befriend »

why do some monks take vows of silence for life? metta, befriend
Take care of mindfulness and mindfulness will take care of you.
Cittasanto

Re: vow of silence

Post by Cittasanto »

befriend wrote:why do some monks take vows of silence for life? metta, befriend
what tradision are you on about? I only know of this in the christian monastic tradition and only the more cloistered ones!
within buddhism this sort of behaviour is discouraged by the vinaya as there is an encouragement to talk to each other about problems with practice, difficulties, or even personal issues with another, see the ten topics of conversation, or admonishment on access to insight/Buddhist Monastic Code. and as right speech is also part of the path....

edit - I should point out that needless talking is discouraged.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
befriend

Post by befriend »

hahahah probably from watching hangover 2 where they go to a thailand. not a very good resource for buddhism. and mad tv where a phoney steven segal gets mad at a monk for not talking. oh man.
Fede

Post by Fede »

talk about 'wrong forum'.... :roll: perhaps a little more research other than watching a second-rate b-movie might have been in order.... :jedi:
"Samsara: The human condition's heartbreaking inability to sustain contentment." Elizabeth Gilbert, 'Eat, Pray, Love'.

Simplify: 17 into 1 WILL go: Mindfulness!

Quieta movere magna merces videbatur. (Sallust, c.86-c.35 BC)
Translation: Just to stir things up seemed a good reward in itself. ;)

I am sooooo happy - How on earth could I be otherwise?! :D

http://www.armchairadvice.co.uk/relationships/forum/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
befriend

Post by befriend »

yeah thats why i asked here.
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

http://youtu.be/SYkbqzWVHZI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

no idea how to get video to embed on here but about 50 secs in!

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
appicchato

Post by appicchato »

Be nice now Alex... :smile:
reflection

Post by reflection »

Manapa wrote:http://youtu.be/SYkbqzWVHZI

Hi Manapa,

Didn't you mean this one?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krb2OdQksMc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Metta,
Reflection
:namaste:
Fede

Post by Fede »

appicchato wrote:Be nice now Alex... :smile:
sorry Bhante. :namaste: :embarassed: :smile:

befriend, I apologise for my tone.
I. possibly the greatest doofus-noodle you could ever meet, should be the last one making such observations. :reading:

(but I still think Steven Segal's films should not be taken as points of reliable reference - particularly in isolation to everything else!) :rofl:
"Samsara: The human condition's heartbreaking inability to sustain contentment." Elizabeth Gilbert, 'Eat, Pray, Love'.

Simplify: 17 into 1 WILL go: Mindfulness!

Quieta movere magna merces videbatur. (Sallust, c.86-c.35 BC)
Translation: Just to stir things up seemed a good reward in itself. ;)

I am sooooo happy - How on earth could I be otherwise?! :D

http://www.armchairadvice.co.uk/relationships/forum/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

reflection wrote:
Manapa wrote:http://youtu.be/SYkbqzWVHZI

Hi Manapa,

Didn't you mean this one?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krb2OdQksMc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Metta,
Reflection
:namaste:
I couldn't remember which scene that was in :( my python knowledge is waning since I havn't watched it in over 2 years :tantrum:
but I shall guard my memory with a nine bladed sword not 2 not 5 not 7 but a nine bladed sword or I will not be able to find what was put there only the night before by my father :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmyuE0Np ... re=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

but :offtopic:

John Stuart Mill
befriend

Post by befriend »

thanks for the apology. vows of silence dont sound that far fetched as meditators observe noble silence on retreats, and talking for entertainment isnt very condusive to eradicating desire. metta, befriend
Viscid

Post by Viscid »

A vow of silence has some similarity to a dhutanga: an austerity which distances one from worldliness, and reinforces commitment to their practice.
"What holds attention determines action." - William James
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Viscid wrote:A vow of silence has some similarity to a dhutanga: an austerity which distances one from worldliness, and reinforces commitment to their practice.
yeah but it isn't a dhutanga! out of the thirteen speaking isn't covered!

noble silence isn't the same as a vow of silence and is what I described above.

John Stuart Mill
manas

Post by manas »

In my personal experience, two things are not that hard: talking too much, or not talking at all. What is more challenging is talking only when necessary, or only when it is conducive to the benefit of self or others.
To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.
Viscid

Post by Viscid »

Manapa wrote:
Viscid wrote:A vow of silence has some similarity to a dhutanga: an austerity which distances one from worldliness, and reinforces commitment to their practice.
yeah but it isn't a dhutanga! out of the thirteen speaking isn't covered!
I know, I know.
'has some similarity to' meaning someone might be motivated to make a vow of silence for the same reasons that one make undertake a few dhutangas. It's a way to live which may be beneficial for their practice. (Though I imagine for Christians, such a vow could be a gesture of obedience to God)
"What holds attention determines action." - William James