Can we realise Emptiness...

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible.

Can we realise Emptiness...

Postby Beautiful Breath » Mon May 04, 2009 7:54 am

Hi all,

First post here so forgive me if its obvious.

I have had some experience over the years of the Tibetan tradition but always found that the practice of Theravadin meditation 'works' best for me. I follow the breath until I feel an extremely deep sense of calm and a sort of quiet never achieved through any other practice. However, when I am in this state my mind always seems to want to meditate on Emptiness in much the same way as I was taught in the tibetan practices; ie. identifying the object to be negated (the 'I') then trying to find it. Ultimately it is of course unfindable thus demonstrating its inherent Empty nature...etc...

My question is this, how can the practices in the Theravada bring about a non-conceptual experience in the same way the above practice does?

Thanks in advance!

:namaste:
Beautiful Breath

Re: Can we realise Emptiness...

Postby Ben » Mon May 04, 2009 8:02 am

Hi BB

You need to look into vipassana. It is how many of us have developed some experiential wisdom into the nature of all phenomena.
Metta

Ben
"One cannot step twice into the same river, nor can one grasp any mortal substance in a stable condition, but it scatters and again gathers; it forms and dissolves, and approaches and departs."

- Hereclitus

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Postby Beautiful Breath » Mon May 04, 2009 8:13 am

Ben wrote:Hi BB

You need to look into vipassana. It is how many of us have developed some experiential wisdom into the nature of all phenomena.
Metta

Ben

Thanks, any recommendations for a lapsing Prasangika? :shrug:
Beautiful Breath

Postby Ben » Mon May 04, 2009 10:21 am

Hi BB

My main practice for the better part of the last 24 years has been vipassana meditation. So, my recommendation would be to undertake a residential retreat of vipassana meditation in a tradition that you feel comfortable with. I recommend that over a selection of Dhamma books because I think what you seem to be after is the development of experiential wisdom (bhavana-maya-panna) rather than developing a purely intellectual understanding of emptiness in the Theravada context.
But if you are looking for a very good Dhamma book on vipassana in the context of the panorama of Buddhist meditaton then Nyaniponika Thera's iconic work The Heart of Buddhist Meditation is unbeatable.

My own teacher is SN Goenka, and if you are looking at retreats, you could also look at retreats organised by International Meditation Centre (IMC), and the students of Ajahn Chah and Mahasi Sayadaw. And I am sure other practitioners here wil advise you with regards to the styles of vipassana retreats that they have attended.
Metta

Ben
"One cannot step twice into the same river, nor can one grasp any mortal substance in a stable condition, but it scatters and again gathers; it forms and dissolves, and approaches and departs."

- Hereclitus

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Postby Beautiful Breath » Mon May 04, 2009 10:37 am

Thanks Ben,

The Heart of Buddhist Meditation is one of the first books I ever bought on Buddhism- a looooong time ago now :jawdrop:

I'll get it off the shelf, dust it down and dive in!

BB
Beautiful Breath

Postby rowyourboat » Mon May 04, 2009 11:58 am

With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha
rowyourboat

Return to Discovering Theravāda