Householders Breaking the Five Precepts

Buddhist ethical conduct including the Five Precepts (Pañcasikkhāpada), and Eightfold Ethical Conduct (Aṭṭhasīla).
Ceisiwr

Householders Breaking the Five Precepts

Post by Ceisiwr »

Greetings

If a householder breaks one (or more) of the precepts, is there any kind of "confession" or way of redemption from the negative kamma of breaking them? Or does one just reconise the mistake and try to correct it for the future?

Metta
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
Ben

Re: Householders Breaking the Five Precepts

Post by Ben »

Hi Craig

I think the most important thing is to recite your vows again and make a decision with adhitthana not to break the precepts again. And maintain your daily practice.
Metta

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

I try to just make a resolve not to do it again, and reflect on the particular precept
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

Thanks both for the advice, been helpful :smile:

Metta
kc2dpt

Post by kc2dpt »

clw_uk wrote:If a householder breaks one (or more) of the precepts, is there any kind of "confession" or way of redemption from the negative kamma of breaking them? Or does one just reconise the mistake and try to correct it for the future?
Believing one can do something to purify one's negative karma is pretty much exactly the sort of this the Buddha was referring to when he taught about the fetter of attachment to rites and rituals. For example, some people believed taking a ritual bath would wash away bad karma. (Thig 12.1)

For an unwholesome bodily or verbal action, the Buddha taught his monks and nuns to confess the wrongdoing to the Sangha. For unwholesome mental acts, simply vowing to oneself to not do it again was enough. (MN 61)
- Peter

Be heedful and you will accomplish your goal.
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

Peter wrote:
clw_uk wrote:If a householder breaks one (or more) of the precepts, is there any kind of "confession" or way of redemption from the negative kamma of breaking them? Or does one just reconise the mistake and try to correct it for the future?
Believing one can do something to purify one's negative karma is pretty much exactly the sort of this the Buddha was referring to when he taught about the fetter of attachment to rites and rituals. For example, some people believed taking a ritual bath would wash away bad karma. (Thig 12.1)

For an unwholesome bodily or verbal action, the Buddha taught his monks and nuns to confess the wrongdoing to the Sangha. For unwholesome mental acts, simply vowing to oneself to not do it again was enough. (MN 61)

Thanks Peter :smile:

I know that the monks and nuns have a confession but i was wondering if there is anything similar for householders, and if there is if a householder doesnt have access to a sangha who does he confess to?

Metta
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Craig,
clw_uk wrote:I know that the monks and nuns have a confession but i was wondering if there is anything similar for householders, and if there is if a householder doesnt have access to a sangha who does he confess to?
If you don't have a bonafide bhikkhu on hand, maybe do it in front of a Buddha rupa? It's the mental act of the confession that's the significant... a sincere confession in the presence of a rupa, is surely superior to an insincere confession to a bhikkhu.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
kc2dpt

Post by kc2dpt »

clw_uk wrote:I know that the monks and nuns have a confession but i was wondering if there is anything similar for householders
I am not aware of anything like that for lay people. You can always ask to take precepts again from a monastic. If you do not have access to a monastic in person, perhaps one of the Bhantes here would administer precepts to you.
- Peter

Be heedful and you will accomplish your goal.
forestmat

Post by forestmat »

Greetings,

the five precepts for a layperson are known as 'training' precepts. As such, if one fails to keep one or more of them, it's no big problem. One should ideally make a firmer commitment to try harder the next time. There is no 'sin' attached to having broken them.

After having practiced the precepts for a period of time, one begins to realize that they are in fact a great protection rather than a 'restriction'.

Best wishes

metta

forestmat
Hartridge Buddhist Monastery, Devon, England
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

Greetings

I have a further question to ask in relation to the precepts

On Buddhanet they have this for the 3rd precept
I undertake the training to avoid sensual misconduct
This precept is often mistranslated or misinterpreted as relating only to sexual misconduct but it covers any overindulgence in any sensual pleasure such as gluttony as well as misconduct of a sexual nature.
Is this correct? I always took the 3rd precept to mean sexual misconduct, but does it mean sensuality in general as well?

Also on the 5th precept it states
To undertake the trainingt to abstain from substances which causes intoxication and heedlessness
This precept is in a special category as it does not infer any intrinsic evil in, say, alcohol itself but indulgence in such a substance could be the cause of breaking the other four precepts.

These are the basic precepts expected as a day to day training of any lay Buddhist. On special holy days, many Buddhists, especially those following the Theravada tradition, would observe three additional precepts with a strengthening of the third precept to be observing strict celibacy.
Does this mean that drinking alchohol isnt unwholesome kamma itself but it can lead to unwholesome kamma?

Metta
Fede

Post by Fede »

Interpretation is a funny thing, isn't it?
In my opinion (and I do hope to be corrected, or re-guided if I am mistaken) the third precept has always referred to sexual misconduct. I think the inference of there being sensual desires, such as gluttony and other wants, are legitimate, but I have not come across this as indicative of 3rd Precept teachings....

Even half a glass of alcohol can affect people. Substances and Medication deliberately taken to alter the Mind's workings are discouraged.
prescriptive medication of course, doesn't count....
"Samsara: The human condition's heartbreaking inability to sustain contentment." Elizabeth Gilbert, 'Eat, Pray, Love'.

Simplify: 17 into 1 WILL go: Mindfulness!

Quieta movere magna merces videbatur. (Sallust, c.86-c.35 BC)
Translation: Just to stir things up seemed a good reward in itself. ;)

I am sooooo happy - How on earth could I be otherwise?! :D

http://www.armchairadvice.co.uk/relationships/forum/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

because the 3rd precept doesn't change much between the 5 & 8 I would say the 3rd precept is just about sex, and sensual indulgence as a whole would be covered within the 4th & 5th.
as for your second question about the 5th I'd say yes

Five precepts
1. I undertake the training rule to abstain from taking life.
2. I undertake the training rule to abstain from taking what is not given.
3. I undertake the training rule to abstain from sexual misconduct today.
4. I undertake the training rule to abstain from false speech.
5. I undertake the training rule to abstain from drinks [and drugs] that cause heedlessness.[4]

Eight precepts
1. I undertake to abstain from taking life (both human and non-human).
2. I undertake to abstain from taking what is not given (stealing).
3. I undertake to abstain from all sexual activity.
4. I undertake to abstain from telling lies.
5. I undertake to abstain from using intoxicating drinks and drugs which lead to carelessness.
6. I undertake to abstain from eating at the wrong time (the right time is eating once, after sunrise, before noon).
7. I undertake to abstain from singing, dancing, playing music, attending entertainment performances, wearing perfume, and using cosmetics and garlands (decorative accessories).
8. I undertake to abstain from luxurious places for sitting or sleeping.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill