Nirodha Sutta - Anguttaranikāya, Book of Fives

Exploring the Dhamma, as understood from the perspective of the ancient Pali commentaries.
Bhikkhu Pesala

Nirodha Sutta - Anguttaranikāya, Book of Fives

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I am looking for a translation of this discourse. Does anyone have a copy? I am interested in the passage in the latter half beginning:
Atha kho āyasmā Ānando acirapakkantassa Bhagavato yenāyasmā upavāṇo tenupasaṅkami; upasaṅkamitvā āyasmantaṃ upavāṇaṃ etadavoca — “Idhāvuso upavāṇa, aññe there bhikkhū vihesenti. Mayaṃ tena na muccāma. Anacchariyaṃ kho, panetaṃ āvuso upavāṇa, yaṃ Bhagavā sāyanhasamayaṃ paṭisallānā vuṭṭhito etadeva ārabbha udāhareyya yathā āyasmantaṃyevettha upavāṇaṃ paṭibhāseyya. Idāneva amhākaṃ sārajjaṃ okkanta”nti. Atha kho Bhagavā sāyanhasamayaṃ paṭisallānā vuṭṭhito yena upaṭṭhānasālā tenupasaṅkami; upasaṅkamitvā paññatte āsane nisīdi. Nisajja kho Bhagavā āyasmantaṃ upavāṇaṃ etadavoca --
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
Zom

Re: Nirodha Sutta - Anguttaranikāya, Book of Fives

Post by Zom »

It seems this is it:

http://www.metta.lk/tipitaka/2Sutta-Pit ... ggo-e.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (6. Nirodhasuttaü Ý Cessation)
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Thanks. It didn't show up in a Google search.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings bhante,

I think this is the right bit that corresponds with the text you quoted...

Extract from AN 5.17.6: Nirodha Sutta (Ending), The Gradual Book Of Sayings - Part III, p143
Then the Exalted One addressed the venerable Ananda thus:

'Is it possible, Ananda, that you can look on with indifference at an elder monk being vexed? Verily, Ananda, compassion grows not from (suffering) an elder monk to be vexed'

Then the exalted One addressed the monks, saying:

'Herein, monks, a monk who has achieved virtue, achieved concentration, achieved insight, may both completely enter the ending of the perception of feeling and may emerge therefore - this is so: if here among visible things he make not the gain of gnosis, he will verily go beyond the deva-community that feed on solid food and arise in a mind-pictured body, provided he enter and emerge from the perception and feeling - this is so'.

Thus spake the Exalted One; and when he had thus spoken, the Well-Gone arose and entered the dwelling.
If I've not typed out the right portion of text, or if you require anything before or after what was typed, please let me know.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

That's the wrong passage. Its the bit beginning, "Not long after the Blessed One departed, Venerable Ānanda approached the Venerable Upavāṇo..." or words to that effect. Or, as Metta.lk puts it:
Soon after The Blessed One had gone, venerable ânanda approached venerable Upavana and said: Here, friend, Upavana, the elder bhikkhus who have attained worthiness are worried. We are not free from that accusation . There is no surprise friend, Upàvana. to see The Blessed One addressing the bhikkhus on this, as to how venerable ones like Upavana should reply. We should be frightened on this. Then The Blessed One getting up from his seclusion in the evening. approached the attendance hall and sat on the prepared seat and addressed venerable Upavana:
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings bhante,

Ah, you want it to start where I finished... continuing on from where we left off...
Now not long after the departure of the Exalted One, the venerable Ananda went up to the venerable Upavana and said to him: 'Just now, venerable Upavana, some (monks) were vexing the elder monk and we never protested unto them. Therefore wonder not, venerable sir, should the Exalted One, after coming from seclusion bring the matter up and relate the whole affair to the venerable Upavana. Already even fearfulness is come upon us.'

And in the evening, after coming from seclusion, the Exalted One went to the service hall, and, when come, he sat down on the seat that was ready. So seated, he said to the venerable Upavana:

'Having how many qualities, Upavana does an elder among his fellows in the goodly life become pious, loved, respected and what he ought to become?'

'Lord, having five qualities, an elder becomes what he ought to become... What five?'

'Lord, herein he is virtuous...; is learned...; has a pleasant voice, a good enunciation..; at will... attains to the four states of musing...; and by destroying the cankers... enters and abides in the emanication of the heart, the emancipation of insight...

Verily, lord, having these five qualities an elder among his fellows in the godly life becomes pious, loved, respected and what he ought to become'.

Well (said), well (said)...
There's a bit more, but that's the gist of it. Let me know if you wish me to finish off the sutta.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Thanks, that is all that I needed.