Buddhism and smoking, what's your thoughts?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
poto

Re: Five Years for Smoking!

Post by poto »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote: However, this case is different:
"We will charge him with smuggling of controlled material, which is a fourth degree felony," an official of the Bhutanese Narcotic Drug and Law Enforcement unit told the BBC.
Smuggling contraband is an offence of defeat for a bhikkhu. Depending on what exactly the bhikkhu did in this case, he may have fallen into an offence of defeat.
Bhante,

I read the link you provided and it seemed to be about willfully evading customs duties. If this monk's word is to be believed, then it seems he had already paid the customs duties, but his crime was that he forgot to save a receipt. I don't really see how he could be blamed for this, and hopefully his charges will be dismissed.
Smokers can legally import only up to 200 cigarettes or 150 grams of other tobacco products a month. They must provide a customs receipt when challenged by police.

A senior Bhutanese police official confirmed the arrest of the monk at the weekend after he failed to provide receipts to back his claim that he had purchased 72 packets of chewing tobacco from the Indian border town of Jaigaon.

The monk told the police he was "not aware of the new laws and had not kept the receipt"
This seems like a rather draconian law. Which brings me to my question. Are monks required to follow laws, even when the laws are clearly oppressive and unjust?
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C. S. Lewis
delf7

smoking (cough, cough)

Post by delf7 »

i have been smoking for 35 years. i have tried to quit a thousand times before - used everything from patches, welbutrin, gum, that evil stuff called "chantix", you name it, i've tried it. the only thing that worked at all was cold turkey when earlier this year i quit for almost 2 months, but got dragged back into it.
however, i have not attempted quitting since i started getting interested in buddhism. i think with the meditation and my reading, it might be easier this time. was wondering if anyone can point me to a few things in the texts that might be of special relevence to this particular challenge.
so, today is day one - and i have already confronted mr. nic-o-teen with several greetings of "hello, my old friend habit energy - i see you"
so far so good.
any good words would be appriciated.
thank you.
delf
Khalil Bodhi

Re: smoking (cough, cough)

Post by Khalil Bodhi »

I quit after 15 years and although my practice certainly helped it did not make it easy at all. If anything, the pain was just as intense as it ever was when I attempted to quit but the strength of my determination (aditthana) was what pulled me through and I believe I owe that to long hours of seemingly fruitless meditation. Persistence and a real understanding of the downsides of smoking were key for me. If you really want out you can do it and I wish you all the best. Mettaya!
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

The Stoic Buddhist: https://www.quora.com/q/dwxmcndlgmobmeu ... pOR2p0uAdH
My Practice Blog:
http://khalilbodhi.wordpress.com
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

A 10-day retreat or a stay in a monastery will give you the support you need while going through the withdrawal stages. Not being surrounded by smokers is a great help during the first week or two.

Ultimately, the only method that works long term is to become more aware of the causal links between contact (with the sights, smells, or thoughts of smoking activities), feeling, and craving.

Since you have been smoking for so long, it might take several years for the worst effects of the addiction to wear off. The underlying social anxiety or whatever it is that made you want to smoke in the first place can also be removed by persistent meditation practice.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
delf7

Post by delf7 »

i am attending a 10-day retreat at the end of february, which i think will be good for kicking the habit, tho i hope to succeed in quitting before then so it isn't such a shock to the system. i am also trying to increase my time in meditation to combat the habit. this is going to be hard, i know, but it is time to do it.
Fede

Post by Fede »

I think it makes it easier to know that cigarette companies actually include chemical, synthetic ingredients in their tobacco products which are deliberately addictive.
Nicotine is a noxious and harmful substance, but is in and of itself, not extremely addictive. So different chemicals are added just to boost that little factor somewhat.
so know that the companies are actively working to influence you, deliberately, to keep you hooked.
The government will never ban smoking, because it brings them wonderful revenue.
And they know the companies are keeping you hooked.
The government and the companies are deliberately co-operating to poison you.

if that doesn't tell you something, and give you yet another good reason to stop....well, I have tried to help!
"Samsara: The human condition's heartbreaking inability to sustain contentment." Elizabeth Gilbert, 'Eat, Pray, Love'.

Simplify: 17 into 1 WILL go: Mindfulness!

Quieta movere magna merces videbatur. (Sallust, c.86-c.35 BC)
Translation: Just to stir things up seemed a good reward in itself. ;)

I am sooooo happy - How on earth could I be otherwise?! :D

http://www.armchairadvice.co.uk/relationships/forum/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
befriend

Post by befriend »

havent drank alcohol in 3 years i quit because i took a formal precpets ceremony with a teacher. now there is no maybe i should drink no i shouldnt but maybe i should. its like alcohol doesnt exist. in my mind im literally incapabale of drinking voluntarily.
Take care of mindfulness and mindfulness will take care of you.
bodom

Post by bodom »

Have you tried electronic cigarette's:
An electronic cigarette, or e-cigarette, is an electrical device that simulates the act of tobacco smoking by producing an inhaled mist bearing the physical sensation, appearance, and often the flavor and nicotine content of inhaled tobacco smoke; though without its odor, and intended to omit its health risks.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ele ... T-M401.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I see them sold everywhere these days. They seem to be the new big thing.

:namaste:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Khalil Bodhi

Post by Khalil Bodhi »

befriend wrote:havent drank alcohol in 3 years i quit because i took a formal precpets ceremony with a teacher. now there is no maybe i should drink no i shouldnt but maybe i should. its like alcohol doesnt exist. in my mind im literally incapabale of drinking voluntarily.
Sadhu befriend but please be careful as the drink can play tricks on the mind. I wouldn't consider myself safe until entering the stream. Mettaya.
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

The Stoic Buddhist: https://www.quora.com/q/dwxmcndlgmobmeu ... pOR2p0uAdH
My Practice Blog:
http://khalilbodhi.wordpress.com
Buckwheat

Post by Buckwheat »

I used to smoke, and I know you can do it. Stay strong and good luck!! :thumbsup:
Sotthī hontu nirantaraṃ - May you forever be well.
Ben

Post by Ben »

I second what Venerable Pesala has said, particularly in relation to attending a ten-day retreat which will be extremely beneficial in assisting you.
My only other suggestion is to revisit nicotine replacement therapy. The method that worked for me is to go on a three month nicotine reduction & replacement program. 1 month at 21mg per day, then 1 month at 14 mg per day and the final month at 7 mg per day. Once you get the slow-release of nicotine happening it decouples the psychological addiction from the physical. Within a day or so of the program you'll "feel like" a non-smoker in that there will be a complete absence of cravings. However, you still need to be careful of associating with smokers as the visual and olefactory association of seeing others smoke and the smell of cigarette smoke may trigger a desire to light up.
Whatever you decide to do - I wish you the very best.

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Good luck, I have failed on many an occasion and am about to try again soon(ish).
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
jackson

Post by jackson »

Greetings delf7, :smile:
If I may I'd like to tell you what worked for me, and perhaps it may be of some use to you. I smoked on and off for 11 years or so, tried quitting many times, once for 20 months, another time for over a year, but my willpower would always end up running out and I'd be back at square one. Then I heard on a different Buddhist discussion forum about people who had quit using a method by a man named Alan Carr, I believe, and if I remember the name of the book it was "The easy way to stop smoking", or something along those lines. I never did read the book, but the method from what I understood was to be extremely mindful while smoking and ask just what it was you enjoyed about having a cigarette. Was it the taste? The feeling of the smoke in the lungs? etc., etc. Anyway, it didn't take me long to realize that I didn't enjoy smoking at all, and that the only reason I did it was to get relief from the nicotine craving. This was quite a revelation and it didn't take long until I was just fed up with smoking and had little trouble quitting, and whenever the thought about having a cigarette arose I'd think about just how awful smoking was in those final days because I really wasn't enjoying it. Willpower just didn't cut it for me, I'd always be suppressing craving, but this method quickly and easily killed my desire for a cigarette, and this October or November it will be 5 years since I quit, which for me is a major accomplishment. Anyway, just wanted to share, and wish you luck with quitting your addiction. You can do it!
With metta, :smile:
Jackson
"The heart of the path is quite easy. There’s no need to explain anything at length. Let go of love and hate and let things be. That’s all that I do in my own practice." - Ajahn Chah
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I undertake the precept to abstain from addictive drugs that cause cancer and heart disease. :heart:
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
delf7

Post by delf7 »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:I undertake the precept to abstain from addictive drugs that cause cancer and heart disease. :heart:
that's why i want to quit.
well.... that and the fact that it's slowly killing me.
i read allan carr's book last time i "quit". i wasn't that impressed with it, as all it did was tell me stuff i already knew. we all know we shouldn't do it. the problem is; try telling that to a 35 year old habit! the ol' habit doesn't listen to common sence. so, i am just trying to acknowledge the craving, say hello to it, and move on to the next moment.
it's hard, but it is getting easier as each day passes.