Buddhism in Jain texts

Textual analysis and comparative discussion on early Buddhist sects and texts.
piotr

Buddhism in Jain texts

Postby piotr » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:11 pm

Hi,

I'm interested to know if there are available any Jain texts which describe Buddhists views. There are a lot of references to Jains in Pali texts, I'd like to read how Jains viewed Buddhists.
Last edited by piotr on Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bhagavaṃmūlakā no, bhante, dhammā...

cooran

Re: Buddhism in Jain texts

Postby cooran » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:34 pm

Hello piotr,

We have had a previous thread, but mostly we missed the point of the OP - so I’m not sure if it will contain anything to assist you:
buddhists in jain texts?
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1955&p=25752

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---

tiltbillings

Re: Buddhism is Jain texts

Postby tiltbillings » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:40 pm

piotr

Re: Buddhism is Jain texts

Postby piotr » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:54 pm

Hi,

Thanks, I haven't seen that thread before. Some material might be of use for me. :reading:

piotr

Postby piotr » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:55 pm

cooran

Postby cooran » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:00 pm

Helo piotr,

A passing reference on dhammastudygroup:

‘’about jainism and buddhism, if one goes by texts then they are two
extremes. so there is great deal of difference. but strikingly the
discription of kaivalya, by lord mahavir, and nibbana by Lord buddha
(both have described in negative terms, and almost similarly) is very
much similar. further more there is quite a great deal of similarity
in the stories contained in the scriptures. the uttradhayana sutra of
jainism is quite similar to dhammapada. at certain places one feels
that either one of them is translation of another.
even the names and stories of pacchek buddhas are similar. a lots of
other stories as well. even some of the jatak stories of Buddha are
contained in jain texts.’’
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dhammastu ... sage/72515

with metta
Chris
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---

ancientbuddhism

Postby ancientbuddhism » Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:29 am

by K.R. Norman

Look in Chap. IV. Buddhism and Regional Dialects, although the relationship of Jain and Buddhist texts to the study of MIA dialects is discussed throughout the book. Use .pdf search and most of these will show up.
I say, beware of all enterprises that require new clothes, and not rather a new wearer of clothes.” – Henry David Thoreau, Walden, 1854

Secure your own mask before assisting others. – NORTHWEST AIRLINES (Pre-Flight Instruction)

piotr

Postby piotr » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:50 am

Hi,

Thank you all. :) I skimmed through A Philological Approach to Buddhism, but I couldn't find what interests me now the most. I'd like to verify ven. Ṭhānissaro words: in one of his talks he said that in Jain texts ancient Buddhists are pictured as those who never give categorical answer whether or not there is a self.

Moth

Postby Moth » Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:46 pm

May you be happy. May you be a peace. May you be free from suffering.
http://www.everythingspirals.com

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:55 pm

vitellius

Postby vitellius » Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:56 pm

plwk

Postby plwk » Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:37 am

& and & and especially

cooran

Postby cooran » Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:44 pm

plwk

Postby plwk » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:21 am

Modus.Ponens

Postby Modus.Ponens » Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:44 am

Hey plwk

Where is the rest of the "debate"? It ends without the debates with the chief disciples and the buddha. I'm curious as to where the other debates are going. I followed the link, but all it appeared was the homepage.

By the way, poor knowledge and debate skills by Nilakeshi...
He turns his mind away from those phenomena, and having done so, inclines his mind to the property of deathlessness: 'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.'
(Jhana Sutta - Thanissaro Bhikkhu translation)

plwk

Postby plwk » Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:02 am

MP, back then in E-Sangha, vinodh did not finish translating and as that was a voluntary one, I did not pursue and on that amulet forum, the thread was locked for being non Buddhist lol...

mikenz66

Postby mikenz66 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:19 am

Hi plwk,

Thanks for that. I think the confusion is that if I click on the link you posted it takes me to the top level of the amulet forum, not the specific thread...

:anjali:
Mike

Bankei

Postby Bankei » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:21 am

Here are some references

Balbir, Nalini 2000 Jain-Buddhist Dialogue: Material from the Paali Scriptures JPTS Vol. XXVI
Bollee, W. B. 1999 Adda or the Oldest Extant Dispute Between Jains and Heretics (Sūyagada 2, 6) Part two. Journal of Indian Philosophy Vol 27/5
Bronkhorst, Johannes 1995 The Buddha and the Jainas Reconsidered Asiatische Studien/Etudes Asiatiques Vol 49/2 pp. 333-350
Bronkhorst, Johannes 2000 The riddle of the Jainas and Ajivikas in early Buddhist literature. Journal of Indian Philosophy Vol 28 pp. 511-529.
Bronkhorst, Johannes 2000 Abhidharma and Jainism. In: Abhidharma and Indian Thought. Essays in honor of Professor Doctor Junsho Kato on his sixtieth birthday. Tokyo, Shuju-sha, pp. 598-581 [13]-[30], 2000.
Bronkhorst, Johannes 2011 Jainism: Window on Early India in Flügel, Peter (ed.) Jaina Law and Society
Caillatt, Colette 2003 Gleanings from a Comparative Reading of Early Canonical Buddhist and Jaina Texts JIABS Vol 26/1 pp. 25-50
Dundas, Paul 2003 Haribhadra's Lalitavistaraa and the Legend of Siddharsi's Conversion to Buddhism. in Qvarnstrm, Olle (ed.). Jainism and Early Buddhism: Essays in Honor of Prof. Padmanabh S. Jaini.
Ferreira-Jardim, Antonio 2006 Some notes towards a history of Early Buddhist & Jaina meditation: vitakka, viyāra/-i and terms referring to mental one-pointedness (egatta, egaggamaṇa etc). Australian Association of Buddhist Studies Conference, University of Sydney
Gombrich, Richard 1994 The Buddha and the Jains: A Reply to Professor Bronkhorst Asiatische Studien/Etudes Asiatiques Vol XLVIII/4 pp. 1069-1096.
Gombrich, Richard 2003 Merit Detached from Volition: How a Buddhist Doctrine Came to Wear a Jain Aspect. in Qvarnstrm, Olle (ed.). Jainism and Early Buddhism: Essays in Honor of Prof. Padmanabh S. Jaini.
Granoff, Phyllis 1992 Buddhaghosa's Penance and Siddhasena's Crime: Remarks on some Buddhist and Jain Attitudes Towards the Language of Religious Texts In: From Benares to Beijing: Essays on Buddhism and Chinese Religions in Honour of Prof.Jan Yun-Hua, Koichi Shinohara and Gregory Schopen, eds.
Mette, Adelheid 1995 The synchronism of the Buddha and the Jina Mahavira and the problem of chronology in early Jainism In When Did The Buddha Live? : The Controversy on the Dating of the Historical Buddha--Selected Papers Based on a Symposium held under the Auspices of the Academy of Sciences in Gottingen/edited by Heinz Bechert.
Watanabe, Kenji 2000 A Comparative Study of Passages from Early Buddhist and Jaina Texts: y r 2.15 : Dhp 183 and Isibh 29.19 : Dhp360, 361." in Balcerowicz, Piotr (ed.): Caturaranayacakram. Essays in Jaina Philosophy and Religion.
-----------------------
Bankei

Bankei

Postby Bankei » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:32 pm

Also check out research by Claire Maes
http://www.cbs.ugent.be/index.php?id=429&type=content

Publications

(Master's thesis) "The establishment of the community of nuns in Buddhism and Jainism, placed in a historical framework" (Dutch). A pdf version is available online here.

Lectures

2009 March 27, KANTL (Belgium: Dagen der Belgische Oriëntalisten -XLVIIste Sessie): Interaction between 'Buddhists' and 'Jains' in the Pāli Vinaya

2010 April 20, KANTL (Belgium: Permanent Training in Buddhist Studies (PTBS), Ghent Centre for Buddhist Studies): Vroege boeddhisten en andere ascetische tradities in India

2010 October 8-10, Mysore (India: Jainism through the Ages, a Historical Perspective): Jainism's unique classification of living beings in early scriptures and its influence on early Buddhism

2010 0ctober 30 - November 1, AAR (Atlanta): How to Understand a Jain Infiltration in Buddhist Monastic Texts? A Critical Analysis of Buddhist Monastic Rules Laid Down to Protect One Sense Facultied Life (ekindriyaṃ jīvaṃ)

2011 June 21 - 25, IABS (Taiwan): The Denomination of the 'Other' in the Pali Vinaya: an Analysis of the Construction of a Buddhist Identity

2011 December 13, Oslo Buddhist Studies Forum (University of Oslo): Interaction Between Early Buddhists and Other Śramaṇas: an Analysis of the Representation of titthiya in the Pāli Vinaya
-----------------------
Bankei

ancientbuddhism

Postby ancientbuddhism » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:33 pm

by Mr. Kamta Prasad Jain
I say, beware of all enterprises that require new clothes, and not rather a new wearer of clothes.” – Henry David Thoreau, Walden, 1854

Secure your own mask before assisting others. – NORTHWEST AIRLINES (Pre-Flight Instruction)

Return to “Early Buddhism”