Prayers for SATTVA

Pictures of revered teachers, places, rupas, temples, bhikkhus, shrine rooms etc. that bring inspiration to our members. Pilgrimage advice, devotion etc.
sattva

Re: Prayers for SATTVA

Post by sattva »

Thanks Ben and David and anyone who said a prayer or good word for me. I had eye surgery on Monday. I went back to see one of the eye doctors in the practice today. Although my eye is healing fine from the surgery, unfortunately because of vitreous hemorrhaging, i still have very limited vision out of the eye. When asked to read the eye chart, a lighted chart enclosed in a frame, I said that i could see that there was something on the wall. That is better than I have been seeing out of my right eye. No decision has been made yet about what to do about the hemorrhaging, but i am scheduled to have the other cataract out on Jan. 16. I am much more hopeful about gaining some vision back in this eye as it isn't nearly as bad as the right.

In case you would like to read more about vitreous hemorrhaging.
http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1 ... view#a0104" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.chatzy.com/25904628501622
Ben

Post by Ben »

Bojjhanga Sutta

samsare samsarantanatam, sabbadukkhavinasane;
satta dhamme ca bojjhange, marasenapamaddane.

135. These seven dhammas are the factors of enlightenment, which eradicate all the suffering of the creatures who are transmigrating in the universal flux, and which suppress the army of Death.

136. bujjhitva ye cime satta, tibhava muttakuttama;
ajatimajarabyadhim, amatam nibbhayam gata.

136. Having realised these seven dhammas the creatures had attained the Immortality, the Fearlessness, Birthless, decay-less and sickless stage; they be came transcendental and liberated from three existences.
Oh thou! Let us recite this doctrine of Factors of Enlightenment;

137. evamadigunupetam, anekagunasangaham;
osadhanca imam mantam, bojjhanganca bhanama he.

137. Endowed with such and other qualifications altogether with innumerable qualities, this is a medicinal spell.

138. bojjhango sati sankhato, dhammanam vicayo tatha;
viriyam piti pasaddhi, bojjhanga ca tathapare.

138. The factors of enlightenment are Mindfulness, Investigation of the Dhamma and also Effort, Rapture, Tranquility, and other factors of enlightenment.

139. samadh-upekkha bojjahanga, satte'te sabbadassina;
Munina sammadakkhata, bhavita bahulikata.

139. The factor of concentration, and Equanimity. All these seven are well expounded by the Allseer; cultivated and amplified repeatedly by the Sage—

140. samvattanti abhinnaya, nibbanaya ca bodhiya;
etena saccavajjena, sotthi te hotu sabbada.

140. in order to discern profoundly, to realise the wisdom, and to attain Nibbana;
By this asseveration of this truth, may you be happy forever.

141. ekasmim sarnaye Natho, Moggallananca Kassapam;
gilane dukkhite disva, bojjhange satta desayi.

141. At one time, the Lord saw Venerable Moggallana and Venerable Kassapa suffering and sick, and he expounded the Seven Factors of Enlightenment.

142. te ca taib abbinanditva, roga muccimsu tankhane;
etena saccavajjena, sotthi te hotu sabbada

142. The two Elders also were delighted thereat; and at that very moment were liberated from the sickness.

By this asseveration of Truth, may you be happy forever.

143. ekada Dhammarajapi, gelannena'bhipilito,
Cundattherena tamyeva, bhanapetvana sadaram;

143. Once even the King of Dhamma the Buddha himself was, afflicted by sickness, then the Elder Cunda was requested to recite that very doctrine with due reference.

144. sammoditvana abadha, tamha vutthasi thanaso, etena saccavajjena, sotthi te hotu sabbada.

144. Having delighted the Lord rose up thereupon from that sickness.

145. pahina te ca abadha, tinnannampi mahesinam; maggahata kilesava, patta'nuppattidhammatam; etena saccavajjena, sotthi te hotu sabbada.

145. Just as the defilements, annihilated by Magga-conscious, can arise again no more, in like manner these ailments were eradicated from the three Great Sages.

bojan01.jpg
bojan01.jpg (49.82 KiB) Viewed 3617 times
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Gena1480

Post by Gena1480 »

may our merit help you
sattva

Post by sattva »

Hi everyone and thanks for all the support. Thought i would do an update because i have met with three doctors this week.

Pulmonary Doctor Visit:
Had 4 chest x-rays (2 positions standing, 2 lying down) before the visit. Result: There is still fluid in the pleural cavity, enough to drain on the right side. However, the doctor doesn't want to drain it because it hasn't increased since the last visit. I will return in about 4 months to see if it is getting better, worse, or staying the same. He does hope to ultimately do some more testing on me in the future. I am to contact him if my breathing becomes worse.

Wound Care Center Doctor: The foot is not healing. She thinks because there is still infection in the bone. The hyperbaric chamber is a no. Although the cardiologist agreed to the therapy, after consulting the experts. they have decided i am to high risk for the therapy. Which leads me back to the---

Infectuous Doctor:
The wound care doctor had the infectuous doctor stop in while i was getting my foot treated today. Result: The 2 doctors are in agreement about infection still being in my bone. He wants to put another picc line in next week and try IV antibiotics (daily) again.

Monday i am to go 60 miles west of here for cataract surgery. I have more hope for this eye because i don't have as much vitreous hemorrhaging in this eye. I am hoping for good weather to cross the mountains. Cross your fingers and toes that all goes well :)
Ben

Post by Ben »

I am crossing my fingers and toes!
I hope it all goes well for you Sattva!
with Metta,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

Reductor

Post by Reductor »

If I cross my fingers and toes, how will I walk? Haha.

Seriously though, I am wishing you loads and loads of good fortune, both for the trip and for your well being i general.

Metta.
Fede

Post by Fede »

Dearest Sattva,

Well....

....You know.

"Samsara: The human condition's heartbreaking inability to sustain contentment." Elizabeth Gilbert, 'Eat, Pray, Love'.

Simplify: 17 into 1 WILL go: Mindfulness!

Quieta movere magna merces videbatur. (Sallust, c.86-c.35 BC)
Translation: Just to stir things up seemed a good reward in itself. ;)

I am sooooo happy - How on earth could I be otherwise?! :D

http://www.armchairadvice.co.uk/relationships/forum/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
christopher:::

Post by christopher::: »

My, you have been through such a difficult time, Sattva. May your practice help to carry you through with deeper equanimity.

Much metta.

~Chris
"As Buddhists, we should aim to develop relationships that are not predominated by grasping and clinging. Our relationships should be characterised by the brahmaviharas of metta (loving kindness), mudita (sympathetic joy), karuna (compassion), and upekkha (equanimity)."
~post by Ben, Jul 02, 2009
sattva

Post by sattva »

Ben wrote:I am crossing my fingers and toes!
I hope it all goes well for you Sattva!
with Metta,

Ben
Thanks, Ben! :anjali:
thereductor wrote:If I cross my fingers and toes, how will I walk? Haha.

Seriously though, I am wishing you loads and loads of good fortune, both for the trip and for your well being i general.

Metta.
ahh, come on...if Ben is willing to give it a try i don't see why you can't. You might be more talented than you think ;) Seriously, thanks for the good wishes :anjali:
Fede wrote:Dearest Sattva,

Well....

....You know.

Yep, i know and thank you.... Love the picture by the way! :anjali:
christopher::: wrote:My, you have been through such a difficult time, Sattva. May your practice help to carry you through with deeper equanimity.

Much metta.

~Chris
Thanks, Chris! i haven't been doing too well on the equanimity part. I'll try harder! :anjali:

FOR ALL OF YOU :group:
sattva

Post by sattva »

alright i admit, i'm nervous again. In about 11-12 hours I will be getting the eye surgery. It went fine last time and i was actually pretty calm through the procedure. So maybe i will be tomorrow too, but right now I'm not. Breathe right?!

About a day later, and an hour or so later, I will be getting my picc line put it. They had some problems getting it in last time. Had to try both arms, but they eventually got one put in.... Just nervous and would welcome good thoughts sent my way.
Thank you.
sattva/louise
Ben

Post by Ben »

Bojjhanga Sutta

samsare samsarantanatam, sabbadukkhavinasane;
satta dhamme ca bojjhange, marasenapamaddane.

135. These seven dhammas are the factors of enlightenment, which eradicate all the suffering of the creatures who are transmigrating in the universal flux, and which suppress the army of Death.

136. bujjhitva ye cime satta, tibhava muttakuttama;
ajatimajarabyadhim, amatam nibbhayam gata.

136. Having realised these seven dhammas the creatures had attained the Immortality, the Fearlessness, Birthless, decay-less and sickless stage; they be came transcendental and liberated from three existences.
Oh thou! Let us recite this doctrine of Factors of Enlightenment;

137. evamadigunupetam, anekagunasangaham;
osadhanca imam mantam, bojjhanganca bhanama he.

137. Endowed with such and other qualifications altogether with innumerable qualities, this is a medicinal spell.

138. bojjhango sati sankhato, dhammanam vicayo tatha;
viriyam piti pasaddhi, bojjhanga ca tathapare.

138. The factors of enlightenment are Mindfulness, Investigation of the Dhamma and also Effort, Rapture, Tranquility, and other factors of enlightenment.

139. samadh-upekkha bojjahanga, satte'te sabbadassina;
Munina sammadakkhata, bhavita bahulikata.

139. The factor of concentration, and Equanimity. All these seven are well expounded by the Allseer; cultivated and amplified repeatedly by the Sage—

140. samvattanti abhinnaya, nibbanaya ca bodhiya;
etena saccavajjena, sotthi te hotu sabbada.

140. in order to discern profoundly, to realise the wisdom, and to attain Nibbana;
By this asseveration of this truth, may you be happy forever.

141. ekasmim sarnaye Natho, Moggallananca Kassapam;
gilane dukkhite disva, bojjhange satta desayi.

141. At one time, the Lord saw Venerable Moggallana and Venerable Kassapa suffering and sick, and he expounded the Seven Factors of Enlightenment.

142. te ca taib abbinanditva, roga muccimsu tankhane;
etena saccavajjena, sotthi te hotu sabbada

142. The two Elders also were delighted thereat; and at that very moment were liberated from the sickness.

143. ekada Dhammarajapi, gelannena'bhipilito,
Cundattherena tamyeva, bhanapetvana sadaram;

143. Once even the King of Dhamma the Buddha himself was, afflicted by sickness, then the Elder Cunda was requested to recite that very doctrine with due reference.

144. sammoditvana abadha, tamha vutthasi thanaso, etena saccavajjena, sotthi te hotu sabbada.

144. Having delighted the Lord rose up thereupon from that sickness.

145. pahina te ca abadha, tinnannampi mahesinam; maggahata kilesava, patta'nuppattidhammatam; etena saccavajjena, sotthi te hotu sabbada.

145. Just as the defilements, annihilated by Magga-conscious, can arise again no more, in like manner these ailments were eradicated from the three Great Sages.

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Ben

Post by Ben »

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Best wishes, Louise.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
sattva

Post by sattva »

Thank you Ben and Retro, also Fede who has contacted me.

Ben, this sounds like a strange question but would it be applicable for me to listen to that every day until (if) i am totally better in all ways?
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Sattva,
Totally appropriate.
I often play sutta chants by my teacher or Sayagi U Ba Khin chanting the Tikapatthana during meditation.
Play it during meditation or you could recite the text in either English or Pali.
Whatever you decide to do it will support the arising of very wholesome dhammas. And according to the ancient literature, the recitation of this Paritta by oneself or others can assist in healing.
I encourage you to play it every day or recite it every day.
with metta,

Ben

- Sutta Nipata 3.725