Introducing the Open Dhamma forum!

The latest news and updates about the Dhamma Wheel forum.
Ben

Introducing the Open Dhamma forum!

Post by Ben »

Dear members,

We have changed the name of the Dhammic-Free-For-All Forum to the Open Dhamma Forum.
http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewforum.php?f=16" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It is the same forum with the same topics. We felt that the name change would reflect our vision for the forum being the venue for respectful and friendly yet forthright and robust discussions.
I hope you like the name change.
kind regards,

Ben

PS: Please take a moment to re-acquaint yourself with the special guidelinesfor the Open Dhamma Forum:
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
retrofuturist

Re: Introducing the Open Dhamma forum!

Post by retrofuturist »

:thumbsup:
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Renlaenderin

Post by Renlaenderin »

:clap:
Monkey Mind

Post by Monkey Mind »

:thumbsup:
"As I am, so are others;
as others are, so am I."
Having thus identified self and others,
harm no one nor have them harmed.

Sutta Nipāta 3.710
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

:clap:
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

:juggling:
I kinda liked the rough-and-tumble no-holds-barred trial-by-combat implications of the old name, even while thinking it wasn't a particularly Buddhist way of discovering the truth.
I wonder if the name change will encourage Right Speech?

:juggling:
Kim
SDC

Post by SDC »

I have to say that I think the name change has affected the "Open Dhamma" forum. Seems to me like there is much less discussion there as of late. The one good thing about the name "Dhammic-Free-For-All" is that it really caught people’s attention which probably had an effect on the frequency of topics there. I guess now they are more spread out amongst the other forums. Although it has seemed quiet on dhammawheel in general recently, so maybe that is why.

Not complaining, just an observation.
“Life is swept along, short is the life span; no shelters exist for one who has reached old age. Seeing clearly this danger in death, a seeker of peace should drop the world’s bait.” SN 1.3
Ben

Post by Ben »

Greetings SDC,

My observation has been the volume of discussion goes through waves. There are quiet periods and busy periods. I am happy if we have fewer postings of a higher quality than volume for its own sake.
kind regards,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
SDC

Post by SDC »

Ben wrote:I am happy if we have fewer postings of a higher quality than volume for its own sake.
I can't disagree with that. :smile:
“Life is swept along, short is the life span; no shelters exist for one who has reached old age. Seeing clearly this danger in death, a seeker of peace should drop the world’s bait.” SN 1.3