Buddhism in Jain texts

Textual analysis and comparative discussion on early Buddhist sects and scriptures.
plwk

Re: Buddhism in Jain texts

Post by plwk »

MP, back then in E-Sangha, vinodh did not finish translating and as that was a voluntary one, I did not pursue and on that amulet forum, the thread was locked for being non Buddhist lol...
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Hi plwk,

Thanks for that. I think the confusion is that if I click on the link you posted it takes me to the top level of the amulet forum, not the specific thread...

:anjali:
Mike
Bankei

Post by Bankei »

Here are some references

Balbir, Nalini 2000 Jain-Buddhist Dialogue: Material from the Paali Scriptures JPTS Vol. XXVI
Bollee, W. B. 1999 Adda or the Oldest Extant Dispute Between Jains and Heretics (Sūyagada 2, 6) Part two. Journal of Indian Philosophy Vol 27/5
Bronkhorst, Johannes 1995 The Buddha and the Jainas Reconsidered Asiatische Studien/Etudes Asiatiques Vol 49/2 pp. 333-350
Bronkhorst, Johannes 2000 The riddle of the Jainas and Ajivikas in early Buddhist literature. Journal of Indian Philosophy Vol 28 pp. 511-529.
Bronkhorst, Johannes 2000 Abhidharma and Jainism. In: Abhidharma and Indian Thought. Essays in honor of Professor Doctor Junsho Kato on his sixtieth birthday. Tokyo, Shuju-sha, pp. 598-581 [13]-[30], 2000.
Bronkhorst, Johannes 2011 Jainism: Window on Early India in Flügel, Peter (ed.) Jaina Law and Society
Caillatt, Colette 2003 Gleanings from a Comparative Reading of Early Canonical Buddhist and Jaina Texts JIABS Vol 26/1 pp. 25-50
Dundas, Paul 2003 Haribhadra's Lalitavistaraa and the Legend of Siddharsi's Conversion to Buddhism. in Qvarnstrm, Olle (ed.). Jainism and Early Buddhism: Essays in Honor of Prof. Padmanabh S. Jaini.
Ferreira-Jardim, Antonio 2006 Some notes towards a history of Early Buddhist & Jaina meditation: vitakka, viyāra/-i and terms referring to mental one-pointedness (egatta, egaggamaṇa etc). Australian Association of Buddhist Studies Conference, University of Sydney
Gombrich, Richard 1994 The Buddha and the Jains: A Reply to Professor Bronkhorst Asiatische Studien/Etudes Asiatiques Vol XLVIII/4 pp. 1069-1096.
Gombrich, Richard 2003 Merit Detached from Volition: How a Buddhist Doctrine Came to Wear a Jain Aspect. in Qvarnstrm, Olle (ed.). Jainism and Early Buddhism: Essays in Honor of Prof. Padmanabh S. Jaini.
Granoff, Phyllis 1992 Buddhaghosa's Penance and Siddhasena's Crime: Remarks on some Buddhist and Jain Attitudes Towards the Language of Religious Texts In: From Benares to Beijing: Essays on Buddhism and Chinese Religions in Honour of Prof.Jan Yun-Hua, Koichi Shinohara and Gregory Schopen, eds.
Mette, Adelheid 1995 The synchronism of the Buddha and the Jina Mahavira and the problem of chronology in early Jainism In When Did The Buddha Live? : The Controversy on the Dating of the Historical Buddha--Selected Papers Based on a Symposium held under the Auspices of the Academy of Sciences in Gottingen/edited by Heinz Bechert.
Watanabe, Kenji 2000 A Comparative Study of Passages from Early Buddhist and Jaina Texts: y r 2.15 : Dhp 183 and Isibh 29.19 : Dhp360, 361." in Balcerowicz, Piotr (ed.): Caturaranayacakram. Essays in Jaina Philosophy and Religion.
-----------------------
Bankei
Bankei

Post by Bankei »

Also check out research by Claire Maes
http://www.cbs.ugent.be/index.php?id=429&type=content" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Publications

(Master's thesis) "The establishment of the community of nuns in Buddhism and Jainism, placed in a historical framework" (Dutch). A pdf version is available online here.

Lectures

2009 March 27, KANTL (Belgium: Dagen der Belgische Oriëntalisten -XLVIIste Sessie): Interaction between 'Buddhists' and 'Jains' in the Pāli Vinaya

2010 April 20, KANTL (Belgium: Permanent Training in Buddhist Studies (PTBS), Ghent Centre for Buddhist Studies): Vroege boeddhisten en andere ascetische tradities in India

2010 October 8-10, Mysore (India: Jainism through the Ages, a Historical Perspective): Jainism's unique classification of living beings in early scriptures and its influence on early Buddhism

2010 0ctober 30 - November 1, AAR (Atlanta): How to Understand a Jain Infiltration in Buddhist Monastic Texts? A Critical Analysis of Buddhist Monastic Rules Laid Down to Protect One Sense Facultied Life (ekindriyaṃ jīvaṃ)

2011 June 21 - 25, IABS (Taiwan): The Denomination of the 'Other' in the Pali Vinaya: an Analysis of the Construction of a Buddhist Identity

2011 December 13, Oslo Buddhist Studies Forum (University of Oslo): Interaction Between Early Buddhists and Other Śramaṇas: an Analysis of the Representation of titthiya in the Pāli Vinaya
-----------------------
Bankei
ancientbuddhism

Post by ancientbuddhism »

MAHĀVIRA AND BUDDHA by Mr. Kamta Prasad Jain
I say, beware of all enterprises that require new clothes, and not rather a new wearer of clothes.” – Henry David Thoreau, Walden, 1854

Secure your own mask before assisting others. – NORTHWEST AIRLINES (Pre-Flight Instruction)

A Handful of Leaves
vinodh

Post by vinodh »

Modus.Ponens wrote:Hey plwk

Where is the rest of the "debate"? It ends without the debates with the chief disciples and the buddha. I'm curious as to where the other debates are going. I followed the link, but all it appeared was the homepage.

By the way, poor knowledge and debate skills by Nilakeshi...
The debate was posted by me in E-Sangha, before it crashed.

If people are interested enough, I can translate and post the remaining debates.

V
http://www.virtualvinodh.com

Buddhists Texts in Brahmi Script : http://www.virtualvinodh.com/brahmi-lipitva

yo dharmaṁ paśyati, sa buddhaṁ paśyati
One who sees the Dharma, sees the Buddha

na pudgalo na ca skandhā buddho jñānamanāsravam
sadāśāntiṁ vibhāvitvā gacchāmi śaraṇaṁ hyaham

Neither a person nor the aggregates, the Buddha, is knowledge free from [evil] outflows
Clearly perceiving [him] to be eternally serene, I go for refuge [in him]
SamKR

Post by SamKR »

vinodh wrote:
Modus.Ponens wrote:Hey plwk

Where is the rest of the "debate"? It ends without the debates with the chief disciples and the buddha. I'm curious as to where the other debates are going. I followed the link, but all it appeared was the homepage.

By the way, poor knowledge and debate skills by Nilakeshi...
The debate was posted by me in E-Sangha, before it crashed.

If people are interested enough, I can translate and post the remaining debates.

V
Yes, please.
Thank you. :thumbsup: