Dalhikamma: Origins

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
Bankei

Dalhikamma: Origins

Post by Bankei »

As you are no doubt aware the Theravada monastic world is divided into Nikaya - sects and sub-sects.

In Thailand there are 2 Nikaya (and many subgroups which are not strictly speaking sub-nikaya).
The Sangha in Burma is divided into 9 Nikaya.
Sri Lanka has 3 main Nikaya, but these are split into more than 30 sub-nikaya.
Cambodia and Laos 2 I believe.

Generally monks from one nikaya will not perform legal kamma (such as ordinations) with monks of another nikaya.

However, there is a ceremony known as Dalhikamma which has been called a 'strengthening procedure'. Visiting monks from other nikaya can participate in Dalhikamma and thereby have their original ordination recognised without the need to re-ordain.

I would like to learn of the origin and textual basis for 'Dalhikamma' and also hear about contemporary applications of it in Theravada lands.

Does anyone know more?

Bankei
-----------------------
Bankei
pilgrim

Re: Dalhikamma: Origins

Post by pilgrim »

I know little about it and cannot answer your query, but as a point of interest, I understand that the first batches of bhikkhunis ordained in India under the Dharmagupta tradition used this procedure to convert to Theravada.
Bankei

Post by Bankei »

Thanks Pilgrim. That is interesting.
-----------------------
Bankei
chownah

Post by chownah »

Does anyone have a reference to verify that Pilgrims understanding is correct?
chownah
pilgrim

Post by pilgrim »

chownah wrote:Does anyone have a reference to verify that Pilgrims understanding is correct?
chownah
see http://www.berzinarchives.com/web/en/ar ... art_3.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Although the revival of the Theravada bhikkhuni ordination lineage in Sri Lanka entailed re-ordination of the bhikkhunis from Dharmagupta to Theravada, in accordance with the dalhikamma strengthening procedure followed among the four Sri Lanka Theravada bhikkhu sanghas, it would be preferable to reinstate the Mulasarvastivada bhikshuni ordination through the single sangha procedure."
cooran

Post by cooran »

Hello all,

In addition to Pilgrim's post - dalhikamma mentioned at note 8

Dhammananda Bhikkhuni - Strengthening the Tradition: Women in Buddhism
http://www.theravada-dhamma.org/pdf/Dha ... hening.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---