Buddhism and Anxiety

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
retrofuturist

Re: Buddhism and Anxiety

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

As something of a postscript to my last post, here's something I just read that reminded me of this topic...
Anxious people try to avoid the discomforts that come from fear and anxiety, but mindfulness is a method that gradually focuses the attention of the anxious patient towards the fear and exploring it in greater detail with a kind and gentle acceptance. It is not a process of desensitization, but a process effective a transformation of the object of anxiety into an object of contemplation (dhammanupassana). The process of being aware, moment to moment "dismantles the fear by distinguishing the raw facts of experience from the frightening conclusions we draw shortly thereafter"
That's from Padmasiri de Silva's essay "Contemplative Dimensions of Therapy & Education" and the quotation embedded therein is sourced from Christopher Germer.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Spiny O'Norman

Post by Spiny O'Norman »

amtross wrote:While I've found that being mindful of negative states/feelings like anxiety can certainly help reduce the suffering, it can be tricky because I've found observing phenomena with the desire for it to be different than it is just adds another layer of craving/aversion to the whole mess.
Yes, I find it tricky too sometimes. Also I've found that being more mindful of ( senstive to? ) these negative states can be quite uncomfortable at times.

Spiny
santrix

Post by santrix »

While I've found that being mindful of negative states/feelings like anxiety can certainly help reduce the suffering, it can be tricky because I've found observing phenomena with the desire for it to be different than it is just adds another layer of craving/aversion to the whole mess.
I think this is a tricky issue to tackle, especially when anxiety and/or depression seem to be raping your mind. Letting go of the desire to change in order to facilitate change requires a great deal of acceptance and compassion for oneself. I still believe Buddhism offers the best toolset for tackling and transforming anxiety. It's no good running away or diverting ourselves from it, and it's no good trying to work it out intellectually. I think unconscious insight, real behavioural change, can only be achieved through meditatively looking into and through the causes of anxiety. I did spend a few months writing a free e-book on anxiety and Buddhism, and I'd be happy to share the link if I am allowed.

Winter berries for you

Steve