Number of Theravadins attaining 1st jhana or Stream-En

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
retrofuturist

Re: Number of Theravadins attaining 1st jhana or Stream-En

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Zom,
Zom wrote:Sometimes I see a global tendency to place stream-enterers on the unreachable pedestal...
:goodpost:

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
cooran

Post by cooran »

Zom wrote: Sometimes I see a global tendency to place stream-enterers on the unreachable pedestal
Stream Entry is the most difficult of all levels of Ariyahood to achieve. After achieving Stream Entry, one will automatically become an Arahant in not more than Seven Lifetimes.

A being can wander through uncountable lifetimes in many, many forms and on the occasions he/she has the rare opportunity of human rebirth, the being may not even be born in a time or a country where the Teachings are known.

If in the long, long rounds of Samsara, the being is fortunate to gain a human rebirth, plus access to the Teachings, health, and the kammic inheritance that will support their understanding – then they may achieve Stream Entry. Unless and until this happens, the flux of becoming (currently ‘Zom’) will simply be reborn over and over and over and over ad infinitum, unendingly.

So … while you have the rarest of fortunate lives, to be born in human form, to be born during a Buddhasasana, to have access to the Teachings, to be healthy and able to practise – go for it! Don’t be lazy. Who knows when, if ever, the chance will come again.

Ariyas (Noble Persons)
http://www.thisismyanmar.com/nibbana/mtinmon4.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
Buckwheat

Post by Buckwheat »

Hi Chris,
Many of the reasons you listed that make stream entry so rare have already been accomplished by those on dhamma wheel such as human birth and exposure to the dhamma. Assuming my kamma is reasonably healthy and I am dedicated to practice, with all those conditions in place, what would you say are my odds of stream entry in this lifetime? I do agree human birth with decent kamma and exposure to dhamma and the will to practice is rare so the opportunity should not be wasted, but it would be reassuring if from this fortunate position my odds are pretty good.
thanks and metta
scott
Sotthī hontu nirantaraṃ - May you forever be well.
cooran

Post by cooran »

Hello Scott,

This might be of interest – 23 pages on Factors of Stream Entry by Venerable Ajahn Payutto (Phra Payutto)
http://www.buddhistteachings.org/wp-con ... -Entry.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
Zom

Post by Zom »

A being can wander through uncountable lifetimes in many, many forms and on the occasions he/she has the rare opportunity of human rebirth, the being may not even be born in a time or a country where the Teachings are known.

If in the long, long rounds of Samsara, the being is fortunate to gain a human rebirth, plus access to the Teachings, health, and the kammic inheritance that will support their understanding – then they may achieve Stream Entry. Unless and until this happens, the flux of becoming (currently ‘Zom’) will simply be reborn over and over and over and over ad infinitum, unendingly.

So … while you have the rarest of fortunate lives, to be born in human form, to be born during a Buddhasasana, to have access to the Teachings, to be healthy and able to practise – go for it! Don’t be lazy. Who knows when, if ever, the chance will come again.
I'm not talking about someone, let's say so,.. "outside of Buddhism" ,) - sure, there are billions of such people. But I'm talking about someone who came to Buddhism, especially Theravada Buddhism. I'm sure there is a huge ammount of sotapannas among all those who consider themselves "theravadins" in the world.