Name for a new sutta

Explore the ancient language of the Tipitaka and Theravāda commentaries
pedro1985

Name for a new sutta

Post by pedro1985 »

I am currently studying the Sutta Pitaka.

The Digha Nikaya, Majjhima Nikaya, and Samyutta Nikaya I was able to buy in book format. They together are more than 4500 pages. Then there is also Anguttara Nikaya and Khuddaka Nikaya.

Some of the teachings are very valuable to me, some of the teachings is less valuable to me. Therefore I am trying to make 1 big sutta containing all the teachings that are of interest to me.

I am trying to make a sutta for my own use that is a collection of many suttas in the form that it reads as if it were to be 1 big sutta. It will start with:

"Thus I have heard, the blessed one was sitting with a group of monks and the monks asked him about subject 1, then the blessed ones answers... Then after this the monks asked the blessed one about subject 2, then the blessed ones answers... etc..."

In this way I want to put all the subjects that are valuable to me found in many suttas combined into 1 big sutta. I think the sutta will be around 300 to 500 pages in total. So it will be an easy book for my personal use that I can consult.

Now my question is: how would you write in Pali a fitting sutta name for this:

I am thinking of something like "The big sutta" or "The sutta containing many teachings" or something in that direction. I hope someone can help me think of a good Pali name.

Thanks in advance.
Cittasanto

Re: Name for a new sutta

Post by Cittasanto »

Why would you remove valuble context?
the suttas have many layers of meaning and each is a special precious gift to be read and read again, even the ones which are not liked by oneself for whatever reason.

why not get a book and not down specific passages you like on each page?

it also wouldn't be a sutta not something which legitimately starts with Evam Me Sutam thus have I heard.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
pedro1985

Post by pedro1985 »

Its not a way of removing valuable information, I still have the Digha Nikaya, Majjhima Nikaya, and Samyutta Nikaya in printed bookform on my bookshelf.

To me it will be an easy accessable book of about 300 - 500 pages that contains especially that parts of the suttas which I want to read often, so that it is easier to carry around, rather than carry 3 big, heavy books around.

See it as a summary, to be used for personal use.

The reason why I make it start with "Thus I have heard." Is because I like the style of how the suttas are written. I prefer to make a summary in that style, rather than to keep many notes.

I still hope someone can help me with a name...
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

Cittasanto wrote:... it also wouldn't be a sutta not something which legitimately starts with Evam Me Sutam thus have I heard.
This is almost certainly the first time I have posted in this sub-forum, for the very good reason that I know almost no Pali :embarassed: but I agree with Cittasanto. The logical name for your collection would surely be 'pitaka' - 'basket'.
So how about something like 'little basket' or 'Pedro's basket'?

:namaste:
Kim
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

it wouldn't be a pitaka and could confuse people if he shared it, Bhikkhu Bhodhi didn't call his 'in the Buddhas words' a pitaka, it would be better to just call it an anthology of excerpts.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

I think it might be confusing and take away from the 'purity' of the names of the Suttas. But if I did give it a name, perhaps:

The Dhamma Sutta
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

mahapedrosutta
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
pedro1985

Post by pedro1985 »

What does "maha" in "mahapedrosutta" mean?
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Maha means Great or long

John Stuart Mill
vitellius

Post by vitellius »

Dear pedro1985,

I believe that calling it a "sutta" is not quite a good idea.

Suttas are texts that were passed unaltered through more than two thousand years.

Wouldn't it be somewhat disrespectful to this tradition to call your own compilation a "sutta"?

I would suggest that "compilation" or "anthology" or "collection" are better options.
chownah

Post by chownah »

I agree with the sentiment that using the term "sutta" can have bad consequences. If it is just for yourself then no need for a title at all.......I suggest taking a look at your intentions....
chownah
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Pedropada.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Brizzy

Post by Brizzy »

Pedroyana?

Metta

:smile:
Ignorance is an intentional act.
Kare

Post by Kare »

retrofuturist wrote:Pedropada.

Metta,
Retro. :)
Well ... 'Pedro' should of course be Palified. The consonant cluster -dr- should be changed. The -r- falls away and the -d- is doubled, so we get 'Peddo'. But the -o looks like a nominative, so in a composite word it should be reduced to -a. Thus the Pali form of Pedro in a composite word would be Pedda-.

May I then suggest Peddapada? Or why not Mahapeddapada? 8-)
Mettāya,
Kåre
pedro1985

Post by pedro1985 »

I didnt expect to get such reactions that calling it a sutta is inappropriate, will have bad consequences, and is disrespectful.
chownah wrote:I suggest taking a look at your intentions....
My intentions are creating an easy accessable book that gives me a summary of everything that is of interest to me which I have found in the the Sutta Pitaka, for the purpose that I dont need to carry heavy books around when I want to read the parts of suttas that are of interest to me.

I will just leave it nameless..