Name for a new sutta

Explore the ancient language of the Tipitaka and Theravāda commentaries
Cittasanto

Re: Name for a new sutta

Post by Cittasanto »

pedro1985 wrote:I didnt expect to get such reactions that calling it a sutta is inappropriate, will have bad consequences, and is disrespectful.
chownah wrote:I suggest taking a look at your intentions....
My intentions are creating an easy accessable book that gives me a summary of everything that is of interest to me which I have found in the the Sutta Pitaka, for the purpose that I dont need to carry heavy books around when I want to read the parts of suttas that are of interest to me.

I will just leave it nameless..
if that was your intention then why did you want to give it a name? one in which would give it an air of authenticity?
an anthology is an anthology not a sutta in itself.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

pedro1985 wrote: My intentions are creating an easy accessable book that gives me a summary of everything that is of interest to me which I have found in the the Sutta Pitaka, for the purpose that I dont need to carry heavy books around when I want to read the parts of suttas that are of interest to me.
I think doing this is a fine idea, and it is likely something to you'll continue to revise (American meaning of the word) as time goes on.

I will just leave it nameless..[/quote]Name it what has meaning for you, and if sutta is part of the name, I cannot see why that should be a problem, especially since no disrespect was intended.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

pedro1985 wrote: My intentions are creating an easy accessable book that gives me a summary of everything that is of interest to me which I have found in the the Sutta Pitaka, for the purpose that I dont need to carry heavy books around when I want to read the parts of suttas that are of interest to me.
I think doing this is a fine idea, and it is likely something to you'll continue to revise (American meaning of the word) as time goes on.
I will just leave it nameless..
Name it what has meaning for you, and if sutta is part of the name, I cannot see why that should be a problem, especially since no disrespect was intended.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

Kare wrote:Well ... 'Pedro' should of course be Palified...
Delightful linguistics!
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
chownah

Post by chownah »

Pedro1985,
Have you considered getting one of those Kindle things......I'm not sure if they are called "e-readers" or "e-books" or whatever.....seems like you could get all of what you are wanting on it and probably alot more......but I'm not sure as I am ignorant of this stuff....
chownah