removing smiley galore on the right while writing or editing

Tell us how you think the forum can be improved. We will listen.

removing smiley galore on the right while writing or editing

Postby mirco » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:15 am

Hi Friends,

if you want that smiley galore on the right not to be there, here is one method.
Of course, mental methods are welcome. But for the moment it would be

With Firefox: use adblock plus, hit left mouse button and add it to the filter list.
With Opera: hit left mouse button and block content.

Now you can enjoy writing and editing your posts without all that flashing & twinkling.

Regards, :-)
Last edited by mirco on Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I get what I give
mirco

Re: block smiley galore

Postby Ben » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:16 am

Or one could just ignore it.
kind regards,

Ben
Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.

Taṃ nadīhi vijānātha:
sobbhesu padaresu ca,
saṇantā yanti kusobbhā,
tuṇhīyanti mahodadhī.

Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Postby Alexei » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:40 am

mirco wrote:Now you can enjoy writing and editing your posts without all that flashing & twinkling.

And can't see any smilies within posts.

I prefer piece of paper and some glue.
Alexei

Postby mirco » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:19 am

Alexei wrote:
mirco wrote:Now you can enjoy writing and editing your posts without all that flashing & twinkling.
And can't see any smilies within posts.I prefer piece of paper and some glue.

Well, not really.

Under User control panel -> Boards Preferences -> Edit display options
you can choose "No" for "Display smilies as images".

Then you can see them in the texts. In their original form.
I get what I give
mirco

Postby perkele » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:39 pm

Took me a while until I knew what you meant with "smiley galore".
And: Can it be that you live in a mirror world? Left <-> right?

To stop the smileys flashing and twinkling while editing a post I usually just hit "Esc".

:anjali:
perkele

Postby Cittasanto » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:13 pm

What is wrong with just not paying attention to them?
but just tried that esc suggestion and i was surprised it worked :)

yes I am a techno wiz :)
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
Cittasanto

Postby Goofaholix » Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:30 pm

Cittasanto wrote:What is wrong with just not paying attention to them?

I post from work sometimes, which is acceptable in moderation and/or at break times.

It's not so much the annoyance to me it's what people may think if they happen to glance over my shoulder.

The turning them off option works in the user control panel works for reading posts but not for the writing post window.

I don't know why we need them at all, they seem a bit juvenile to me.
"Proper effort is not the effort to make something particular happen. It is the effort to be aware and awake each moment." - Ajahn Chah
"When we see beyond self, we no longer cling to happiness. When we stop clinging, we can begin to be happy." - Ajahn Chah
"Know and watch your heart. It’s pure but emotions come to colour it." — Ajahn Chah
Goofaholix

Postby Goofaholix » Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:46 pm

mirco wrote:With Firefox: use adblock plus, hit left mouse button and add it to the filter list.
With Opera: hit left mouse button and block content.

Thanks for the adblockplus tip, it works wonders.
"Proper effort is not the effort to make something particular happen. It is the effort to be aware and awake each moment." - Ajahn Chah
"When we see beyond self, we no longer cling to happiness. When we stop clinging, we can begin to be happy." - Ajahn Chah
"Know and watch your heart. It’s pure but emotions come to colour it." — Ajahn Chah
Goofaholix

Postby Bhikkhu Pesala » Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:59 pm

Goofaholix wrote:
Cittasanto wrote:I don't know why we need them at all, they seem a bit juvenile to me.
Juveniles of all ages are also welcome to post on Dhamma Wheel. :hug:
AIM WebsitePāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
Bhikkhu Pesala

Postby Ron-The-Elder » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:23 pm

Cittasanto wrote:I don't know why we need them at all, they seem a bit juvenile to me.

I felt the same way as you when I first started posting online. :jawdrop: I quickly found that communications in this media was flat emotionally, and you really didn't have any clue as to the intent of the poster. :shrug: Then along came "emoticons", from which the smiley cons evolved. :coffee:

And now, everything is just swell! :woohoo: :thanks: ....to emoticons. :toast:
What Makes an Elder? :
A head of gray hairs doesn't mean one's an elder. Advanced in years, one's called an old fool.
But one in whom there is truth, restraint, rectitude, gentleness,self-control, he's called an elder, his impurities disgorged, enlightened.
-Dhammpada, 19, translated by Thanissaro Bhikkhu.
Ron-The-Elder

Postby mirco » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:22 pm

but just tried that esc suggestion and i was surprised it worked

Well, I think that is the very best solution.
Not ignoring, but accepting them and let go of the attention.

I can do that. But not always. Depends, how relaxed and 'sati'-full it is.

This morning, when I started this post, I wasn't at all ;-)

On the other hand the Buddha suggested to visit quiet, secluded places for meditation - with little distraction only.

Removing the smileys with one of the external methods mentioned above makes this 'place' more quiet.

:-)
I get what I give
mirco

Postby Cittasanto » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:39 pm

A couple of quotes are attributing this to me and it certainly isn't the case

this was Goofaholix responding to my post.
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
Cittasanto

Postby Cittasanto » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:44 pm

Goofaholix wrote:

I post from work sometimes, which is acceptable in moderation and/or at break times.

It's not so much the annoyance to me it's what people may think if they happen to glance over my shoulder.

The turning them off option works in the user control panel works for reading posts but not for the writing post window.

I don't know why we need them at all, they seem a bit juvenile to me.

well if you are worried about what people may thing if they look over your shoulder should you be doing it?

at the end of the day, it is abit of fun, for those in the mood or age (I am certainly of that age at times) it is harmless and most of the time I pay no attention to them unless I am reading a post, or wanting to use them.

May I suggest the teaching of the Buddha found in the Cetana Sutta (SN 12.38).
Cittasanto

Re: removing smiley galore on the right while writing or editing

Postby retrofuturist » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:55 pm

Greetings,

I like the "ESC" suggestion.

:thumbsup:

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby Goofaholix » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:20 pm

Cittasanto wrote:well if you are worried about what people may thing if they look over your shoulder should you be doing it?

I already addressed that, it's not an issue in moderation.

Nobody here would have an issue with somebody reading the news or similar websites at work from time to time, but no online news website has a twenty or so flashing gyrating yellow gremlins shouting look at me on it.

Just a minor inconvenience.
Goofaholix

Postby daverupa » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:36 pm

Goofaholix wrote:flashing gyrating yellow gremlins

:mrgreen:
    "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.
- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
daverupa

Postby Alexei » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:11 am

mirco wrote:With Firefox: use adblock plus, hit left mouse button and add it to the filter list.

If you add your own filter dhammawheel.com###smiley-box smilies within posts will remain.
Alexei

Postby Cittasanto » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:11 am

daverupa wrote:
Goofaholix wrote:flashing gyrating yellow gremlins

:mrgreen:

LOL
Cittasanto

Postby Ytrog » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:55 pm

I find the box on the right very convenient on mobile devices. If you want to post with minimal exposure to the box type your post in an external editor (like notepad++) and paste it.

And if you see yellow gremlins: it sometimes happens when you pour water over them on your screen ;)
Suffering is asking from life what it can never give you.

mindfulness, bliss and beyond (page 8) wrote:Do not linger on the past. Do not keep carrying around coffins full of dead moments

If you see any unskillful speech (or other action) from me let me know, so I can learn from it.
Ytrog

Return to Suggestion box