Kasina practice?

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
Spiny O'Norman

Kasina practice?

Post by Spiny O'Norman »

I've been looking at these recently, and would be interested to hear from anyone with experience of them.
Thanks.
Spiny
vidar

Re: Kasina practice?

Post by vidar »

Spiny O'Norman wrote:I've been looking at these recently, and would be interested to hear from anyone with experience of them.
Thanks.
Spiny
I have no experience in kasina practice but in the mexican Dhamma Vihara Monastery will be two retreats of kasina meditation. Maybe you can contact them and ask them about the kasina meditation or you can go to the retreats ;)

The meditation instructor spent some time as a Bhikkhu in the Birken Forest Monastery in Canada.

Here is the information of the retreats (in spanish):

http://dhammavihara.org/drupal-DV/node/30" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://dhammavihara.org/drupal-DV/node/34" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:anjali:
All the world is on fire, All the world is burning, All the world is ablaze, All the world is quaking. That which does not quake or blaze, That to which worldlings do not resort, Where there is no place for Mara:That is where my mind delights. (SN 5.7)

By degrees, little by little,
from moment to moment,
the wise purify themselves,
as a smith purifies silver.
—Dhammapada 239
DarwidHalim

Post by DarwidHalim »

This is a good source for kasina meditation.

The path of purification (visuddhimaga) by Buddhaghosa.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... on2011.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I am not here nor there.
I am not right nor wrong.
I do not exist neither non-exist.
I am not I nor non-I.
I am not in samsara nor nirvana.
To All Buddhas, I bow down for the teaching of emptiness. Thank You!
Sanghamitta

Post by Sanghamitta »

Together with my husband- to- be I was part of a group which received instruction in Kasina practice in the early days of Wat Buddhapadipa.
I found it of great benefit and could see its potential for more depth practice...but around the same time gravitated to Vipassana as taught by Dhiravamsa and finding the time to do both was difficult ..so I didnt not go beyond a certain point with Kasina..Enough to find it intriguing though.
The going for refuge is the door of entrance to the teachings of the Buddha.

Bhikku Bodhi.
Sanghamitta

Post by Sanghamitta »

We were told that it was particularly useful for those experiencing emotional turmoil as a bridge to breath centred practices.

Bhikku Bodhi.
Ben

Post by Ben »

Sanghamitta wrote:We were told that it was particularly useful for those experiencing emotional turmoil as a bridge to breath centred practices.
That's interesting, Valerie. Why do you think that is?
kind regards,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Sanghamitta

Post by Sanghamitta »

The way that it was explained Ben,,,and my brief experience suggested that it might be accurate, was that there is a natural affinity between calm mind states and the contemplation of blocks of solid colour..Interestingly many people report a strongly calming effect when they contemplate the paintings of Mark Rothko..

Bhikku Bodhi.
Spiny O'Norman

Post by Spiny O'Norman »

Sanghamitta wrote:We were told that it was particularly useful for those experiencing emotional turmoil as a bridge to breath centred practices.
That's interesting. I been through some emotional turmoil myself recently and felt drawn to kasina practice, particularly the elements - it seems to have had a calming and grounding effect which has been quite helpful.

Spiny