Yogurt

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.

Yogurt

Postby Cittasanto » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:05 pm

Anyone make yogurt? or got some advice on how to do it?
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
Cittasanto

Re: Yogurt

Postby acinteyyo » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:11 pm

My mother used to make yogurt. She used a KRUPS yogurt machine like this
Image.
But unfortunately I don't know how she did it. I'll ask her.

best wishes, acinteyyo
Pubbe cāhaṃ bhikkhave, etarahi ca dukkhañceva paññāpemi, dukkhassa ca nirodhaṃ. (M.22)
Both formerly, monks, and now, it is just suffering that I make known and the ending of suffering.
Pathabyā ekarajjena, saggassa gamanena vā sabbalokādhipaccena, sotāpattiphalaṃ varaṃ. (Dhp 178)
Sole dominion over the earth, going to heaven or lordship over all worlds: the fruit of stream-entry excels them.

:anjali:
acinteyyo

Postby Cittasanto » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:15 pm

:)
I don't have one of those, but I did find a wikihow article which seams useful http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Yogurt warning has a video which automatically starts.
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
Cittasanto

Postby Ben » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:27 pm

Hi Cittasanto,
I sometimes make yoghurt using this Easiyo system:
http://www.easiyo.com/the-easiyo-system/index.html
In fact, I have four of them and make 4L of yoghurt a day when I am catering.

Its cheap and really easy.

In Australia you can get the kit for approx $25. The starter sachets are a few dollars each. But once you make one batch you can use a desert spoon of yoghurt as starter culture for your next and subsequent batches. The only issue is if you wish to make flavoured yoghurt it only works if you use the sachets or add the flavouring after you've made a batch of plain yoghurt.
kind regards,

Ben
"One cannot step twice into the same river, nor can one grasp any mortal substance in a stable condition, but it scatters and again gathers; it forms and dissolves, and approaches and departs."

- Hereclitus

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Postby acinteyyo » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:30 pm

Seems to be quite easy though... when I remember right my mom never used "yogurtstarter" like in that video, when there was only one yogurt cup left she used that to make new ones. Otherwise she used yogurt from the supermarket.
I guess the machine provided the right temperature.

best wishes, acinteyyo
Pubbe cāhaṃ bhikkhave, etarahi ca dukkhañceva paññāpemi, dukkhassa ca nirodhaṃ. (M.22)
Both formerly, monks, and now, it is just suffering that I make known and the ending of suffering.
Pathabyā ekarajjena, saggassa gamanena vā sabbalokādhipaccena, sotāpattiphalaṃ varaṃ. (Dhp 178)
Sole dominion over the earth, going to heaven or lordship over all worlds: the fruit of stream-entry excels them.

:anjali:
acinteyyo

Postby mirco » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:27 pm

Cittasanto wrote:Anyone make yogurt? or got some advice on how to do it?

Here is how I learned it from an iraqi friend:

You need:

1 quart (1⁄4 gallon) of (non-pasteurized, non-homogenized) milk and about a gill (1⁄4 pint) of natural yoghurt.

This is, what you do:

Heat the milk until just before it it boils.
Take it of the heat. Stir the yoghurt into the milk.
Put a towel or something esle around the pot (to keep it longer warm longer).
Let it be like that for 24h.
Voila! The joghurt bacterias turned the milk into yoghurt.

Regards, :-)

P.S: Haha, took me a while to convert the volume units. In metric it's 1l and 150ml.
P.P.S.: Pardon me for that broken english.
I get what I give
mirco

Postby Kim OHara » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:39 pm

I have made it in the past but the household now doesn't eat enough to make the effort worthwhile and I have gone back to buying it.
Not that it's hard - as others have said, milk + culture + warmth is all you need.
There's a great fact sheet here which adds the science to what others have said: http://www.burkesbackyard.com.au/factsheets/Food-Health-and-Nutrition/Yoghurt/2078

:namaste:
Kim
Kim OHara

Postby ground » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:06 am

I am practicing abandonment of dairy products.

Kind regards
ground

Postby Cittasanto » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:33 am

TMingyur wrote:I am practicing abandonment of dairy products.

Kind regards

then why reply?
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
Cittasanto

Postby tiltbillings » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:36 am

Cittasanto wrote:

Kind regards

then why reply?
It seems to be part of the "tweet" culture to let us know things.
This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond.
SN I, 38.

Ar scáth a chéile a mhaireas na daoine.
People live in one another’s shelter.

"We eat cold eels and think distant thoughts." -- Jack Johnson
tiltbillings

Postby Cittasanto » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:27 am

tiltbillings wrote:
Cittasanto wrote:

Kind regards

then why reply?

"just had a poop!"

sorry not on twatter!

I like putting out the odd blast or weird thought that pops in my head but....

anyway made my first batch, not quite what I was expecting, still quite loose, but still nice & tasty, somewhat of a success :) :woohoo:
I think I have learnt some things from the first try to do it again with a improved method.

but one question can cream be used or is the lower fat content better for making yogurt?
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
Cittasanto

Postby Kim OHara » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:49 am

Cittasanto wrote:but one question can cream be used or is the lower fat content better for making yogurt?

Full cream is fine. Adding non-fat milk solids (i.e. powdered skim milk) will make it thicker, if that's what you want. So will leaving it longer, up to a point. Check out a few more recipes/methods and see what works best for you.

:namaste:
Kim
Kim OHara

Postby Cittasanto » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:21 pm

I had checked a few, but unfortunately the site I used when I chefed doesn't have a method on it??

I followed the instructions on temp, but I used Whole Milk, Cream, Milk Powder & Sugar, but I think I left it alone too long so the temp went to low?

that would be the only thing I change really is how I look after it, particularly at the moment with the weather being cold.
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
Cittasanto

Postby Kim OHara » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:35 pm

Think of it like bread dough. Too cool, and the culture won't grow; too hot, and you kill it. The Middle Way is the way to go!
:stirthepot:
Kim
Kim OHara

Postby ground » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:11 am

tiltbillings wrote:
Cittasanto wrote:

Kind regards

then why reply?

That's the purpose of forums, isn't it?

I think ... what do you think?
I have a question ...
I have experienced this and that ...
I like this and I dislike that ...
etc.

:focus:
ground

Postby rowboat » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:38 am

Yoghurt with blackberries. Yoghurt with honey. Yoghurt with real maple syrup. I am definitely going to make yoghurt.
Rain soddens what is covered up,
It does not sodden what is open.
Therefore uncover what is covered
That the rain will not sodden it.
Ud 5.5
rowboat

Postby Cittasanto » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:50 am

TMingyur wrote:That's the purpose of forums, isn't it?

I think ... what do you think?
I have a question ...
I have experienced this and that ...
I like this and I dislike that ...
etc.

:focus:

please see the OP.
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
Cittasanto

Postby Cittasanto » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:52 am

rowboat wrote:Yoghurt with blackberries. Yoghurt with honey. Yoghurt with real maple syrup. I am definitely going to make yoghurt.

It is easy, I would recommend it, there is a method for making flavoured yogurt from scratch, I didn't pay attention to it as that wasn't what I am interested in, but it is about.
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
Cittasanto

Postby Sanghamitta » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:22 am

For those with lactose intolerance ( fairly common, gives rise to flatulence and excema) excellent yoghurt can be made by using goats or sheep milk.
Vegans can get many of the health benefits of yoghurt ( although not its deliciousness ) by taking probiotic Acidophilus capsules, which helps repopulate the gut with "good" bacteria which boost the immune system. Particularly important after a course of antibiotics.
The going for refuge is the door of entrance to the teachings of the Buddha.

Bhikku Bodhi.
Sanghamitta

Postby Cittasanto » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:29 am

actually can soya or rice drinks be turned into yogurt for vegans?
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
Cittasanto

Next

Return to Wellness, Diet & Fitness