Is this quote genuine?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Lombardi4

Is this quote genuine?

Post by Lombardi4 »

“Let us rise up and be thankful, for if we didn't learn a lot today, at least we learned a little, and if we didn't learn a little, at least we didn't get sick, and if we got sick, at least we didn't die; so, let us all be thankful.”

http://thinkexist.com/quotation/let_us_ ... 99980.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Was this really said by the Buddha, or is this one of those quotes wrongly attributed to him?
nameless

Re: Is this quote genuine?

Post by nameless »

Sounds uncharacteristic.

Sickness and death are inevitable. As long as there is birth, there is sickness and death. An example of sickness in the suttas is as follows:
(2) And further, monks, a monk reflects thus: "I am now free from sickness, free from disease, my digestive power functions smoothly, my constitution is not too cool and not too hot, it is balanced and fit for making effort. But a time will come when this body will be in the grip of sickness. And one who is sick cannot easily contemplate upon the Teachings of the Buddha; it is not easy for him, to live in the wilderness or a forest or jungle, or in secluded dwellings. Before this undesirable condition, so unpleasant and disagreeable, approaches me, prior to that, let me muster my energy for achieving the unachieved, for attaining the unattained, for realizing the unrealized, so that, in the possession of that state, I shall live happily even in sickness."
— AN 5:78

Sickness is recognized as an inevitability, and we are offered advice for how to conduct ourselves when we are healthy, and not merely be 'grateful' for not being sick.
BubbaBuddhist

Post by BubbaBuddhist »

Sounds more like Saint Francis or Meister Eckhart doesn't it?

M4
Author of Redneck Buddhism: or Will You Reincarnate as Your Own Cousin?
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

I'm voting it is non-Buddhist. Two reasons:
1. "Rise up and be thankful"? Thankful to who?
2. Searching for a phrase from the quote got me a lot of junky 'famous quotation' sites and no Buddhist sites, and none of the attributions were more specific than 'The Buddha', i.e. no sutta/sutra references.

:namaste:
Kim
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Stefan
Good question. One needs to be very careful of quotes appended with "- Buddha".
All sorts of new age rubbish is attributed to the Buddha. On one facebook group which is populated by a number of very enthusiastic quotation regurgitators I have started asking probing questions such as "Can you provide a citation for that quote?"
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
BubbaBuddhist

Post by BubbaBuddhist »

Ben you should post on those websites this quote:
"Of whom do you know, foolish man, that I have taught to him the teaching in that manner? " --The Buddha
( From the Snake Simile Alagaddupama Sutta (MN 22) )

M4
Author of Redneck Buddhism: or Will You Reincarnate as Your Own Cousin?
Ben

Post by Ben »

Ah thank you, M4, that is perfect!
kind regards
Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
withing wrote:pain can be managed via convincing the mind that it isn't real.
Not so much that, but placing attention elsewhere.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Modus.Ponens

Post by Modus.Ponens »

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings,
withing wrote:pain can be managed via convincing the mind that it isn't real.
Not so much that, but placing attention elsewhere.

Metta,
Retro. :)
Or, paying attention to pain with equanimity, recognizing it's not suffering, just sensation.
'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.' - Jhana Sutta