Fifth Precept / Caffeine

Buddhist ethical conduct including the Five Precepts (Pañcasikkhāpada), and Eightfold Ethical Conduct (Aṭṭhasīla).
Hickersonia

Fifth Precept / Caffeine

Post by Hickersonia »

My reading suggests to me coffee, or more particularly, the caffeine associated with it, would be considered an intoxicant. While I have had a great measure of success mastering alcohol addition, I have come to regard the caffeine as another area in need of a potential cleansing in my life.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the matter? Is decaffeinated coffee OK? Do you drink coffee on a regular basis, and if so, how do you feel about it?

Any thought shared is welcomed as I continue to dig into this subject more fully. Thanks you all. :)

I know there is another thread on the 5th Precept (probably many more if I go digging), but I figured the aim of my subject is different so it seemed appropriate to start a new thread...
Hickersonia
http://hickersonia.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of
throwing it at someone else; you are the one getting burned."
Khalil Bodhi

Re: Fifth Precept / Caffeine

Post by Khalil Bodhi »

Hi Hickersonia,

I personally drink a lot of coffee and although I may want to curb that for any number of reasons I do not believe it contravenes the 5th precept. I would be interested to hear more about you arrived at such a view. Mettaya!

P.S.

Coffe was a life-saver when our first was a newborn! All the best.
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

The Stoic Buddhist: https://www.quora.com/q/dwxmcndlgmobmeu ... pOR2p0uAdH
My Practice Blog:
http://khalilbodhi.wordpress.com
beeblebrox

Post by beeblebrox »

Stimulants cause heedlessness for me (seriously). That's why I dislike coffee, and try to be careful about not eating too much chocolate (those with high cacao percentage). I only drink a cup of tea per day, at most. :anjali:
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Drinking coffee is not breaking the fifth precept. Four or five mugs of tea or coffee a day is good for health — I guess if you drink a lot of coffee with a high caffeine content, then you have a problem that might lead to health issues, but its still not breaking the fifth precept.

Sugar, chocolate, fast food, cakes, or whatever — it could all be used for sensual over-indulgence. Don't get too stressed about it — just meditate more to reduce cravings of all kinds, and all that critical self-judgement will gradually get resolved.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
beeblebrox

Post by beeblebrox »

Hi Bhante, the problem is in my case too much caffeine does cause heedlessness... I remember one day when I had ice cream that was very dark in chocolate, I ended up almost walking over an old lady when I tried to catch a subway train. I regretted this.
Hickersonia

Post by Hickersonia »

Some interesting thoughts here already. :)

I think the main point of consideration for me right now isn't that I feel particularly heedless when consuming coffee, because I don't [more on this below]. The way caffeine works in the brain (my limited understanding of it) puts the substance into a similar category as other non-permitted stimulants. First, it stops one chemical (a Google search tells me this one is called adenosine) from binding to receptors in the brain, helping to prevent natural drowsiness, then it aids in the increase of another, dopamine, (this is the "feel good" chemical in the brain).

The fact that it works this way just gets me wondering about it, so I figured it was worth discussing as I enjoyed my morning coffee. Hope that sorta makes sense...

As for heedlessness on caffeine, I have consumed so much of it, and with such regularity, that while I do not feel like I loose my heedfulness while it is present, I have to admit that I am unable to clearly recall a time when I was sufficiently caffeine-free as to have a truly objective point of view on the matter.
Hickersonia
http://hickersonia.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

daverupa

Post by daverupa »

beeblebrox wrote:Hi Bhante, the problem is in my case too much caffeine does cause heedlessness... I remember one day when I had ice cream that was very dark in chocolate, I ended up almost walking over an old lady when I tried to catch a subway train. I regretted this.
This sort of anecdote strikes me as one of the main reasons why the precepts need to be taken into ones world and held up against ones behavior, as opposed to applied from outside like strict, legalistic commandments. Having a list of precepts to follow is no excuse for being mindless about adhering to them.

:heart:
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
Gena1480

Post by Gena1480 »

drinking coffee is not breaking fifth precepts
it is not the coffee it is the amount that can cause problem
people have different amount that they can drink and they argue what is the right dose
thus creating the heedlessness of ill will.
beeblebrox

Post by beeblebrox »

Hi Gena, I'm not sure if you perceive that in my post... but I was only sharing my experience. For example, when I used to drink in college my friends would always comment how straight-laced I seemed... even when they found out I blacked out one time.
Hickersonia

Post by Hickersonia »

Gena1480 wrote:drinking coffee is not breaking fifth precepts
it is not the coffee it is the amount that can cause problem
people have different amount that they can drink and they argue what is the right dose
thus creating the heedlessness of ill will.
While I might agree in principle, I am concerned about one thing. Three months ago, with one simple change to that text, you could have quoted me as saying the same thing -- changing the word "coffee" to "alcohol." It concerns me because I feel like I'm rationalizing something that might be, in truth, negative.

Not really trying to argue a certainty on the matter either way -- just sharing a little of the thought process that I'm going through. I get a little concerned about anything I feel I have to rationalize to make it "good."
Hickersonia

Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

Coffee isn't an intoxicant it's a stimulant so doesn't break the precept, though as has been pointed out if people find that it muddies the mind then best to avoid it. I think though is somebody was addicted to the degree they had to have 5 cups a day for example then that would be against the spirit of the precepts, but not the letter.
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
cooran

Post by cooran »

Hello Goof,

Having 5 cups a day isn't an addiction. It can simply be customary. For example, one cup at breakfast withthe family; one cup at morning tea with all the office staff; one cup at lunchtime with the office staff; one cup at afternoon tea time with the office staff; one cup with the evening meal.

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

cooran wrote: Having 5 cups a day isn't an addiction. It can simply be customary. For example, one cup at breakfast withthe family; one cup at morning tea with all the office staff; one cup at lunchtime with the office staff; one cup at afternoon tea time with the office staff; one cup with the evening meal.
Find out what happens if you go for a day without any caffiene after having 5 per day for some time. Even with my rather restrained 1 cup per day the caffiene withdrawal is something I prefer to avoid, which is why I'm careful not to overdo it.
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Coffee isn't breaking the 5th precept as it doesn't, in my experience, cause heedlessness, and I am a big coffee drinker, I once had 50 espressos in one day and it didn't effect me.

but people do have different sensitivities, and I would imagine that those who do have an allergy of some sorts, I can not drink Coke myself, and when I drank Whiskey (not whisky) it blinded me (literally) for half hour, and Guinness made me vomit, yet other stout didn't?

some things would be a personal choice, such as the coffee, yet other things such as Alcohol are an ordinance due to the very nature of the substance.

and just to answer the last post from my experience, nothing, i have done weeks without a coffee and no side effects.
yet others do get headaches etc.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
cooran

Post by cooran »

Hello Goof,

Nothing happens. I often miss complete days, or I have decaffeinated or herbal tea, or just drink water. When I have tea five times a day for days on end - there is no difference.

There are many drinks/foods which contain caffeine - would having these 'break' the fifth precept?

Caffeine in Food as well as drinks
http://www.energyfiend.com/caffeine-in-candy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.cspinet.org/new/cafchart.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---