Yogurt

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
Cittasanto

Yogurt

Post by Cittasanto »

Anyone make yogurt? or got some advice on how to do it?
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
acinteyyo

Re: Yogurt

Post by acinteyyo »

My mother used to make yogurt. She used a KRUPS yogurt machine like this
Image.
But unfortunately I don't know how she did it. I'll ask her.

best wishes, acinteyyo
Thag 1.20. Ajita - I do not fear death; nor do I long for life. I’ll lay down this body, aware and mindful.
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

:)
I don't have one of those, but I did find a wikihow article which seams useful http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Yogurt" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; warning has a video which automatically starts.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Cittasanto,
I sometimes make yoghurt using this Easiyo system:
http://www.easiyo.com/the-easiyo-system/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In fact, I have four of them and make 4L of yoghurt a day when I am catering.

Its cheap and really easy.

In Australia you can get the kit for approx $25. The starter sachets are a few dollars each. But once you make one batch you can use a desert spoon of yoghurt as starter culture for your next and subsequent batches. The only issue is if you wish to make flavoured yoghurt it only works if you use the sachets or add the flavouring after you've made a batch of plain yoghurt.
kind regards,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
acinteyyo

Post by acinteyyo »

Seems to be quite easy though... when I remember right my mom never used "yogurtstarter" like in that video, when there was only one yogurt cup left she used that to make new ones. Otherwise she used yogurt from the supermarket.
I guess the machine provided the right temperature.

best wishes, acinteyyo
Thag 1.20. Ajita - I do not fear death; nor do I long for life. I’ll lay down this body, aware and mindful.
mirco

Post by mirco »

Cittasanto wrote:Anyone make yogurt? or got some advice on how to do it?
Here is how I learned it from an iraqi friend:

You need:

1 quart (1⁄4 gallon) of (non-pasteurized, non-homogenized) milk and about a gill (1⁄4 pint) of natural yoghurt.

This is, what you do:

Heat the milk until just before it it boils.
Take it of the heat. Stir the yoghurt into the milk.
Put a towel or something esle around the pot (to keep it longer warm longer).
Let it be like that for 24h.
Voila! The joghurt bacterias turned the milk into yoghurt.

Regards, :-)

P.S: Haha, took me a while to convert the volume units. In metric it's 1l and 150ml.
P.P.S.: Pardon me for that broken english.
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

I have made it in the past but the household now doesn't eat enough to make the effort worthwhile and I have gone back to buying it.
Not that it's hard - as others have said, milk + culture + warmth is all you need.
There's a great fact sheet here which adds the science to what others have said: http://www.burkesbackyard.com.au/factsh ... ghurt/2078

:namaste:
Kim
ground

Post by ground »

I am practicing abandonment of dairy products.

Kind regards
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

TMingyur wrote:I am practicing abandonment of dairy products.

Kind regards
then why reply?

John Stuart Mill
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Cittasanto wrote:

Kind regards
then why reply?
It seems to be part of the "tweet" culture to let us know things.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

tiltbillings wrote:
Cittasanto wrote:

Kind regards
then why reply?
"just had a poop!"

sorry not on twatter!

I like putting out the odd blast or weird thought that pops in my head but....

anyway made my first batch, not quite what I was expecting, still quite loose, but still nice & tasty, somewhat of a success :) :woohoo:
I think I have learnt some things from the first try to do it again with a improved method.

but one question can cream be used or is the lower fat content better for making yogurt?

John Stuart Mill
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

Cittasanto wrote:but one question can cream be used or is the lower fat content better for making yogurt?
Full cream is fine. Adding non-fat milk solids (i.e. powdered skim milk) will make it thicker, if that's what you want. So will leaving it longer, up to a point. Check out a few more recipes/methods and see what works best for you.

:namaste:
Kim
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

I had checked a few, but unfortunately the site I used when I chefed doesn't have a method on it??

I followed the instructions on temp, but I used Whole Milk, Cream, Milk Powder & Sugar, but I think I left it alone too long so the temp went to low?

that would be the only thing I change really is how I look after it, particularly at the moment with the weather being cold.

John Stuart Mill
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

Think of it like bread dough. Too cool, and the culture won't grow; too hot, and you kill it. The Middle Way is the way to go!
:stirthepot:
Kim
ground

Post by ground »

tiltbillings wrote:
Cittasanto wrote:

Kind regards
then why reply?
That's the purpose of forums, isn't it?

I think ... what do you think?
I have a question ...
I have experienced this and that ...
I like this and I dislike that ...
etc.

:focus: