YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Bhante Vimalaramsi awarded Sasana Tilaka - Page 2 - Dhamma Wheel

Bhante Vimalaramsi awarded Sasana Tilaka

The latest news and updates about the Dhamma Wheel forum.
tiltbillings

Re: Bhante Vimalaramsi awarded Sasana Tilaka

Postby tiltbillings » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:26 am

beeblebrox

Postby beeblebrox » Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:48 pm

One of the things that I've started to try put in my practice is Ven Nhat Hanh's (admittedly liberal) interpretation of the fourth precept. I think Ytrog's post is a beautiful example. :anjali:

Virgo

Postby Virgo » Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:46 am

Brizzy

Postby Brizzy » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:23 am

Ignorance is an intentional act.

Cittasanto

Postby Cittasanto » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:53 am

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.

mirco

Postby mirco » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:57 pm

Last edited by mirco on Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"An important term for meditative absorption is samadhi. We often translate that as concentration, but that can suggest a certain stiffness. Perhaps unification is a better rendition, as samadhi means to bring together. Deep samadhi isn't at all stiff. It's a process of letting go of other things and coming to a unified experience." -

mirco

Postby mirco » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:11 pm

"An important term for meditative absorption is samadhi. We often translate that as concentration, but that can suggest a certain stiffness. Perhaps unification is a better rendition, as samadhi means to bring together. Deep samadhi isn't at all stiff. It's a process of letting go of other things and coming to a unified experience." -

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:16 pm

Cittasanto

Postby Cittasanto » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:20 pm

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.

mikenz66

Postby mikenz66 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:44 pm

Not making a judgement on any other aspect of this, but based on my admittedly rather scant knowledge of the use of language in the Indian subcontinent and Thailand, I'd guess that the situation is rather different in that English is widely used as a de facto common language in the subcontinent. That's very different from Thailand...

:anjali:
Mike

mirco

Postby mirco » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:24 pm

Someone suggested, 'sanana tilaka' means 'Ornament for the Dhamma teaching community'.
Hmmm... somehow fits with the degree of Human Letter that 'goes with it'.

Oh my, I think begin to understand, why the Venerable never talks about that titles stuff... :-)
Last edited by mirco on Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sisterkhema

Postby sisterkhema » Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:01 pm

Dhamma Greetings
Perhaps it should be pointed out where the title came from?
It came by way of the Raj who is at the head of Buddhists in Bangladesh.
They had been following the development of training programs that Venerable Vimalaramsi had instituted and especially the FOundation Training that was being written for training people to meditate.
Many of the monastics there began trying out the training, and , translating the practice instructions into their language.
Then the title was bestowed on him in 2011. The monks came to Missouri into the forest to give it to him there on the Monastery property at DSMC.
There was another Title bestowed on me and they came and Five monks traveled 80 miles to reach me and present this to me while I was at the Sakyadita Women's Conference in Bangkok, Thailand in early 2012. They gave this to me to help in any way they could to continue this research, practice, preservation work, and teaching of a practice within the Theravada texts which they personally found to be especially helpful for their own meditation. They came as the messengers from the Head of Buddhism in Bangladesh.
I doubt there are any other Westerners who have received such titles like this from the Bangladesh Buddhists, but, I really don't know. AND you are quite right in that such titles do not have much respect in the WEST. They are not much use. But when you go to teach in Asia, they help a LOT. And this was their thought. The title they gave to me was Sasana Dipika. It means "A Light in the Sangha"... it is a light that can show the way to progress in the meditation. This is how they explained it to me.
SO this is just for your information about the Sasana Tilaka title and the Sasana Dipika Titles that were given last year.

Hope this is helpful.

Metta and smiles.
Sister Khema

Return to “Announcements”