To renounce or not to renounce.. that is the question.

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
Goofaholix

Re: To renounce or not to renounce.. that is the question.

Post by Goofaholix »

Ferox wrote:I had weight loss surgery about a year ago and my stomach is very small so I can't eat much at one time, i usually eat 6-8 small meals a day. Obviously on retreat I have not been able to do this and it hasn't affected me too much, although admittedly I do bring granola bars(and was given permission to do so) to eat in case I get too hypoglycemic,
I'm afraid this is propbably going to put the kibosh on any ordination prospects.
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Goofaholix wrote:
Ferox wrote:I had weight loss surgery about a year ago and my stomach is very small so I can't eat much at one time, i usually eat 6-8 small meals a day. Obviously on retreat I have not been able to do this and it hasn't affected me too much, although admittedly I do bring granola bars(and was given permission to do so) to eat in case I get too hypoglycemic,
I'm afraid this is propbably going to put the kibosh on any ordination prospects.
Maybe not, since the tonics (certain foods) could be used for medicinal reasons? And in reality (although I am not saying it is right) many monks do consume some of these foods on many nights.
Ferox

Post by Ferox »

Goofaholix wrote:
I'm afraid this is probably going to put the kibosh on any ordination prospects.

it may, it may not, I haven't heard definitive answers on it either way to be honest so any further information may be helpful. as I said while I've been on retreats having breakfast and lunch with the monks has pretty much been enough, but in my daily life where i'm working long hours and running around, exercising and expending much energy, it's not very feasible. if I'm not mistaken monks can have extra meals while sick or when doing much manual labor no? that might be the only time I would really need more then the traditional two meals.
-just one more being treading the ancient path of Dhamma-
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

David N. Snyder wrote:Maybe not, since the tonics (certain foods) could be used for medicinal reasons? And in reality (although I am not saying it is right) many monks do consume some of these foods on many nights.
That makes 3 "meals" max, and if you are lucky you'll be allowed to keep some sweets in your kuti. I'm sure there a places where you can negotiate some flexibility but it's making things much harder for your right from the start.

I know a monk who had to disrobe a few years ago due to eating problems.
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

Ferox wrote:
Dan74 wrote:Greetings Ferox :hello:
and I had a desire to spread the dhamma to westerners like myself who are searching for something
I think this is a noble aspiration but I hope this is your main reason for wanting to ordain.
you hope it is NOT you mean? and as I stated in my original post it is one of the reasons I would want to stay in my country and be available to people however my ultimate goal is to see things as they truly are ;). If I just wanted to teach westerners I could stay a lay person and open up a meditation center hehe.
Yes! Sorry!!
_/|\_
DarwidHalim

Post by DarwidHalim »

Actually, which one is your real question?

To renounce or not to renounce?
Or
To become a monk or not to become a monk?
I am not here nor there.
I am not right nor wrong.
I do not exist neither non-exist.
I am not I nor non-I.
I am not in samsara nor nirvana.
To All Buddhas, I bow down for the teaching of emptiness. Thank You!