Dipa Ma

Pictures of revered teachers, places, rupas, temples, bhikkhus, shrine rooms etc. that bring inspiration to our members. Pilgrimage advice, devotion etc.
tiltbillings

Dipa Ma

Post by tiltbillings »

Attachments
Dipa Ma.jpg
Dipa Ma.jpg (55.84 KiB) Viewed 3259 times
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
dhamma_newb

Re: Dipa Ma

Post by dhamma_newb »

Hi tilt,

Thank you for posting this. I am reading "Dipa Ma: The Life and Legacy of a Buddhist Master" by Amy Schmidt and am deeply inspired by Dipa Ma. May I ask where you got this photo? I am going to find a copy to put on my altar. Thank you.

Metta,
Don
The watched mind brings happiness.
Dhp 36

I am larger and better than I thought. I did not know I held so much goodness.
Walt Whitman
Fede

Post by Fede »

I was about to inform tiltbillings the "page could not be found".... then I noticed the date of the original posting..... :embarassed:

April 2009.....

o......k....... :juggling:
"Samsara: The human condition's heartbreaking inability to sustain contentment." Elizabeth Gilbert, 'Eat, Pray, Love'.

Simplify: 17 into 1 WILL go: Mindfulness!

Quieta movere magna merces videbatur. (Sallust, c.86-c.35 BC)
Translation: Just to stir things up seemed a good reward in itself. ;)

I am sooooo happy - How on earth could I be otherwise?! :D

http://www.armchairadvice.co.uk/relationships/forum/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

dhamma_newb wrote:Hi tilt,

Thank you for posting this. I am reading "Dipa Ma: The Life and Legacy of a Buddhist Master" by Amy Schmidt and am deeply inspired by Dipa Ma. May I ask where you got this photo? I am going to find a copy to put on my altar. Thank you.

Metta,
Don
I found the photo somewhere on the web via google.

And you are welcome, and thanks for bumping this thread up.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Fede wrote:I was about to inform tiltbillings the "page could not be found".... then I noticed the date of the original posting..... :embarassed:

April 2009.....

o......k....... :juggling:
Found an up to date link from the same source.

http://www.thebuddhadharma.com/web-arch ... pa-ma.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Fede

Post by Fede »

Thank you.

That's priceless.

:namaste:
"Samsara: The human condition's heartbreaking inability to sustain contentment." Elizabeth Gilbert, 'Eat, Pray, Love'.

Simplify: 17 into 1 WILL go: Mindfulness!

Quieta movere magna merces videbatur. (Sallust, c.86-c.35 BC)
Translation: Just to stir things up seemed a good reward in itself. ;)

I am sooooo happy - How on earth could I be otherwise?! :D

http://www.armchairadvice.co.uk/relationships/forum/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

There is another thread here on Bowing to lay teachers. Dipa Ma is one lay person I would have no problem in doing a full prostration to (in person if she were still alive or to her photo).
:bow:
vidar

Post by vidar »

Definitely is priceless, and her story is very inspiring. There is also a page in Facebook about her with some photos: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Dipa-Ma-L ... 6632343663" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
All the world is on fire, All the world is burning, All the world is ablaze, All the world is quaking. That which does not quake or blaze, That to which worldlings do not resort, Where there is no place for Mara:That is where my mind delights. (SN 5.7)

By degrees, little by little,
from moment to moment,
the wise purify themselves,
as a smith purifies silver.
—Dhammapada 239
dhamma_newb

Post by dhamma_newb »

:anjali: thank you everyone. The book I'm reading is small but filled with so much wisdom and great stories about Dipa Ma and the people that knew her. What an amazing woman!
Dhp 36

Walt Whitman
dhamma_newb

Post by dhamma_newb »

David N. Snyder wrote:There is another thread here on Bowing to lay teachers. Dipa Ma is one lay person I would have no problem in doing a full prostration to (in person if she were still alive or to her photo).
:bow:
"Better than a thousand ritual sacrifices offered every month for a hundred years is one moments homage offered to one who has cultivated herself." - DHP 106 translated by Gil Fronsdal :smile:
Dhp 36

Walt Whitman