Ordination at Wat Pah Nanachat

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
abhishek_laser

Ordination at Wat Pah Nanachat

Post by abhishek_laser »

a
Last edited by abhishek_laser on Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Zom

Re: Ordination at Wat Pah Nanachat

Post by Zom »

Hello,

Alas, they won't give you an ordination without a permission. Nanachat is a very strict place to go. They won't give you ordination even with permission before you show yourself during a year or two.. or more.. ) During this period of testing you will have to wear white clothes and observe 8 precepts.
Ytrog

Post by Ytrog »

Are they refusing permission or haven't you asked them yet?
They won't give you ordination even with permission before you show yourself during a year or two.. or more.. ) During this period of testing you will have to wear white clothes and observe 8 precepts.
Eight, ten or 227 rules don't really matter if you are able to maintain mindfulness and are cautious. You would still be living in a monastery. Of course the more rules allow you to keep your life decreasingly complicated, so it would be a nice step eventually. From ten rules you can't have money anymore and don't have to worry about such things either. ;)
Suffering is asking from life what it can never give you.
mindfulness, bliss and beyond (page 8) wrote:Do not linger on the past. Do not keep carrying around coffins full of dead moments
If you see any unskillful speech (or other action) from me let me know, so I can learn from it.
abhishek_laser

Post by abhishek_laser »

a
Last edited by abhishek_laser on Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
abhishek_laser wrote:But I've not been able to get my parent's permission for doing so.
I may be wrong but I don't think you need your parents permission to become a samanera.

8-)

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Bankei

Post by Bankei »

Parental permission is not necessary.

One exception is if you threaten to burn down the monastery if the monks do not ordain you (seriously).
See the article
Crosby, Kate 2005 Only if you let go of that Tree: Ordination without Parental Consent according to Theravåda Vinaya. Buddhist Studies Review
available online.
-----------------------
Bankei
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I would say go and stay there anyway. For a young person who has already graduated or at least finished high school, one year out to reflect seriously on how they want to spend the rest of their life is not a long time. If, after one year, you decide that monastic life is not for you, at least you know what it entails, learnt something about meditation and the Dhamma, and gained some useful skills for lay life.

If you do find it is the right choice for you, by then your parents may have come around to accepting your choice. They may come out to visit you, and be happy to give their permission, or even participate by offering your monk's requisites, etc.

If they still don't agree, I guess there's still the "threaten to burn down the monastery" option :tantrum:
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
hermitwin

Post by hermitwin »

I know of a teenager in China who wanted to become a monk and his parents refused.
He went to the monastery anyway.
His parents brought him home and locked him in the house.
The moment they let him out he ran back to the monastery.
Again, the parents took him home.
After repeating this several times, the parents relented and he became a monk.

I have a hypothetical question ie. If your parents refuse permission and you threaten
to kill yourself. then your parents relent. Is this acceptable?
Alexei

Post by Alexei »

hermitwin wrote:I have a hypothetical question ie. If your parents refuse permission and you threaten
If you are going to commit suicide it's acceptable to hospitalize you against your will. At least in some countries. Check your local laws :)
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

Have you stayed in a monastery as a layman before? If not you are thinking too far ahead.

I think you should have a 3 month retreat at Wat Pah Nanachat first, see how you like it. You'll have to leave the country to get a new visa anyway.

This might convince your parents you are serious and it's not a fad, or by talking to people there you might find out about monasteries closer to home that you want to check out, or you might find this life is not for you.
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
Gena1480

Post by Gena1480 »

you not alone in this, i have the same problem
and and writing a letter to the monastery.
and yes they put me in hospital against my will
so it does not work in new york.
parents specially mother will go to high extremes and use any lies to keep from going.
even treat of taking of they own life.
but i will outsmart them anyway.
learn what their weakness and strong points.
metta.
Bankei

Post by Bankei »

hermitwin wrote: .

I have a hypothetical question ie. If your parents refuse permission and you threaten
It appears so according to the Theravada commentarial tradition.
-----------------------
Bankei
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

Bankei wrote:
hermitwin wrote: .

It appears so according to the Theravada commentarial tradition.
Really? the commentaries suggest this? I'd have thought it was totally unethical.
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

Ratthapala found a solution praised by the Buddha.

AN 1.14:
"Ratthapala is foremost for going forth out of faith."

See also: this previous thread
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
Bankei

Post by Bankei »

Bankei wrote:Parental permission is not necessary.

One exception is if you threaten to burn down the monastery if the monks do not ordain you (seriously).
See the article
Crosby, Kate 2005 Only if you let go of that Tree: Ordination without Parental Consent according to Theravåda Vinaya. Buddhist Studies Review
available online.
Here is the link
http://www.ukabs.org.uk/ukabs/wp-conten ... 2-2005.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It is to the whole volume so is rather large.
-----------------------
Bankei