Does non-verbal deception break 4th precept

Buddhist ethical conduct including the Five Precepts (Pañcasikkhāpada), and Eightfold Ethical Conduct (Aṭṭhasīla).
Lombardi4

Does non-verbal deception break 4th precept

Post by Lombardi4 »

For example, if, for some reason you don't want to be bothered, you pretend to be asleep when you're not -- do actions such as these break the 4th precept?
Khalil Bodhi

Re: Does non-verbal deception break 4th precept

Post by Khalil Bodhi »

I think that this precept only concerns samma-vaca, and in particular, false speech but I could be wrong.
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

The Stoic Buddhist: https://www.quora.com/q/dwxmcndlgmobmeu ... pOR2p0uAdH
My Practice Blog:
http://khalilbodhi.wordpress.com
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

yes it does, if you communicate (which can be both verbal and physical) and what you communicate is misleading then you break the precept.

just the same way the first of the panca/attha sila can be broken verbally, yet it is a physical action, this can be broken through physical action also.

it comes down to the intention at the end of the day, and if you intend to break the first 4 indirectly (meaning not breaking the strict letter of the rule) (the fifth can not be broken without actually doing it oneself, but can be tarnished verbally through encouraging others to do it) it still breaks the precept, or at the very least tarnishes it.
Last edited by Cittasanto on Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
bodom

Post by bodom »

I have to agree it does. Lying can be conveyed through body language. For example someone could ask you a question that you know the answer too and you could shrug your shoulders implying you do not know. While this example may not be specifically spelled out in the standard sutta definition of wrong speech, there is still the intention to deceive so to me it is still lying.

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

Stefan wrote:For example, if, for some reason you don't want to be bothered, you pretend to be asleep when you're not -- do actions such as these break the 4th precept?
Of course it does. Though I think the example you gave does not necessarily qualify, if you are resting and don't want to be disturbed why should you respond.
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
David2

Post by David2 »

Goofaholix wrote:Though I think the example you gave does not necessarily qualify, if you are resting and don't want to be disturbed why should you respond.
Yes, what if one asks you a question, you know the answer, but you don't give an answer.
I don't think this breaks the 4th precept. The Buddha also did not answer every question he was asked.

So you can't break the 4th precept without speaking or moving the body.
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

David2 wrote:I don't think this breaks the 4th precept. The Buddha also did not answer every question he was asked.
I agree.

A good example of what Stefan is talking about is if somebody asked you "which one?" and you deliberately pointed to the wrong one.

Whereas to me lying down with your eyes closed is like having a do not disturb sign around your neck, you should be entitled to not respond if someone is not respecting that.
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

David2 wrote:
Goofaholix wrote:Though I think the example you gave does not necessarily qualify, if you are resting and don't want to be disturbed why should you respond.
Yes, what if one asks you a question, you know the answer, but you don't give an answer.
I don't think this breaks the 4th precept. The Buddha also did not answer every question he was asked.

So you can't break the 4th precept without speaking or moving the body.
depends on why you don't give an answer, is it for their benefit or for yours, both or neither?
might be easier to explain, rather than pretend you are asleep when you are awake!
sounds like the buddha talked about that sort of thing SN 42.2
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Fede

Post by Fede »

It's a form of deception.
The Buddha didn't 'not answer' because he didn't want to be bothered.
He also (afaik) did not 'pretend he didn't hear the question'.
the Buddha refrained from responding for worthwhile Dhamma-teaching reasons....

the one question you can never lie to, is 'are you asleep?'
(Or 'are you awake?')

It's a really simple thing to say,
"I'm sorry, I'm really tired, can this wait?"
"Samsara: The human condition's heartbreaking inability to sustain contentment." Elizabeth Gilbert, 'Eat, Pray, Love'.

Simplify: 17 into 1 WILL go: Mindfulness!

Quieta movere magna merces videbatur. (Sallust, c.86-c.35 BC)
Translation: Just to stir things up seemed a good reward in itself. ;)

I am sooooo happy - How on earth could I be otherwise?! :D

http://www.armchairadvice.co.uk/relationships/forum/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

Is it not the case that some brahmins and contemplatives are denigrated in the Suttas as those who "do not answer when called"? I think it was in the context of ascetic ritual being mistakenly seen as efficacious, but perhaps it connects to this topic... alas, I'm unable to find the relevant passage.
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

Fede wrote:It's a really simple thing to say,
It's simple, but if you are at the point where you are drifting off to sleep but are still somewhat lucid it pulls you back to wakefulness, you might struggle to get back to sleep again. I just don't see why you should feel obligated, the signs are there for the person to see, should you have to answer the phone in such a situation when that's the answerphone's job?
― Ajahn Chah
chownah

Post by chownah »

Do magic tricks break the 4th precept?
chownah
Fede

Post by Fede »

Goofaholix wrote:
Fede wrote:It's a really simple thing to say,
It's simple, but if you are at the point where you are drifting off to sleep but are still somewhat lucid it pulls you back to wakefulness, you might struggle to get back to sleep again. I just don't see why you should feel obligated, the signs are there for the person to see, should you have to answer the phone in such a situation when that's the answerphone's job?
I agree.
However, examine Stefan'as comment:
you pretend to be asleep when you're not --
so there is deliberate deception here.
the person makes a deliberate decision to make others believe s/he is in a specific state when clearly, they are not....
There is no mention of a 'point where you are drifting off to sleep'....
Stefan is asking whether deception without words is still 'lying'.
In my opinion, it is.
chownah wrote:Do magic tricks break the 4th precept?
chownah
Of course not.
It's deception 'in plain sight'.
People take fro granted that there is sleight of hand. It's a given.
The one thing they seek to do when watching a magic trick is to see how it's done so skilfully.

I'm amazed by a young magician in the UK known as 'Dynamo'.
Not going to take it off-topic, but google him and prepare to be amazed.
The predominant question after every trick, is "how did he do that?"
"Samsara: The human condition's heartbreaking inability to sustain contentment." Elizabeth Gilbert, 'Eat, Pray, Love'.

http://www.armchairadvice.co.uk/relationships/forum/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
chownah

Post by chownah »

Fede,
I think that how one reacts to magic tricks is dependent on many things and a strong influence is culture...and age. Children are often not aware that it is slight of hand for instance....and I think that in India for example there are a lot of people who believe that it is really magic in certain magical things that are done in some ceremonies there. Some Catholics believe that the wine actually becomes blood during communion....although I'm not declaring absolutely that this is a magic trick as I have never been Catholic and so have never taken their communion....maybe it does really change into blood....I don't know....
chownah
Fede

Post by Fede »

Ah.
Well it would have helped the discussion if you has been more specific initially, I think. Thank you for clarifying.
The intention behind the trick is the deciding factor.
Is it to amaze, or wilfully deceive?

The bread and wine during Catholic communion, is not seen as a 'magic trick' but as divine transformation and a question of faith.
most Catholics I know can't get their head round this, and don't even try. To most, it's symbolic rather than factual.
being an ex-Catholic, i cogitated on this for some time. then stopped, as i really couldn't be asked to consider it any more....