Can killing be acceptable in Buddhism?

Buddhist ethical conduct including the Five Precepts (Pañcasikkhāpada), and Eightfold Ethical Conduct (Aṭṭhasīla).
Dugu

Can killing be acceptable in Buddhism?

Post by Dugu »

In the Noble Eightfold path, we are to abstain from taking of lives. In practice I have tried my best to follow this precept. I have avoided stepping on ants. I would catch spiders in my room and release them without harm. It's not hard to abstain from taking of lives in the comfort of our modern day living. But I was just thinking if I had been in a life and death scenario, would I still be able to keep my precept? So I would like to propose this scenario to my fellow Buddhist and ask what would you do? Let's say you crashed landed on a remote island with no edible vegetation except rats and crabs roaming about. And there is no way to survive except to kill these critters for food. Rescue won't come anytime soon. Would you do it or would you allow yourself to starve to death?
torqz

Re: Can killing be acceptable in Buddhism?

Post by torqz »

Deleted post.
Last edited by torqz on Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May the triple gem bless bless you, may you quickly realize the 4 noble truths in this Gautama Buddhas dispensation... Sādhu! Sādhu! Sādhu!
chownah

Post by chownah »

I kill crabs in my rice field every year....rats too occasionally....so I guess I would have no problem eating them.....actually I have eaten them and crabs are much tastier than rats although after eating nothing but crabs for awhile a rat might be refreshing......so do these rats and crabs exist by just eating each other?.....what a bizarre ecosystem :tongue:
chownah
Dugu

Post by Dugu »

PeDr0 wrote:If you allow yourself to die, then you are in effect killing yourself.
It seems killing is unavoidable from this perspective, be it the crab or me. If I choose to kill myself out of compassion for other living beings, would I reap good or bad karma? Of course, If I did kill myself through starvation I would also lose my opportunity to seek enlightenment in this life considering a human state is extremely rare. And if I kill to eat, then I will have to bear the karma fruit of intentional killing. Would it come down to choosing the lesser of two evils? I wish I don't have to decide.
Dugu

Post by Dugu »

chownah wrote:I kill crabs in my rice field every year....rats too occasionally....so I guess I would have no problem eating them.....actually I have eaten them and crabs are much tastier than rats although after eating nothing but crabs for awhile a rat might be refreshing......so do these rats and crabs exist by just eating each other?.....what a bizarre ecosystem :tongue:
chownah
I admit I have killed crab in the past before I became a Buddhist. My mom would buy them live from the grocery store and I help her prepare them. Crabs are very tasty. In fact they are my favorite. Now, I buy them from the store that already died. Although, my purchase indirectly links to their killing. I feel a bit guilty for that as well. But I have trouble sticking to totally vegetarian lifestyle. I admire those who can.

The ecosystem isn't that bizarre. The rats eats the insects that lives on the island. The crab surface to land once in while as it's one of their favorite hot spots. :tongue:
Fede

Post by Fede »

Dugu wrote:In the Noble Eightfold path, we are to abstain from taking of lives. In practice I have tried my best to follow this precept. I have avoided stepping on ants. I would catch spiders in my room and release them without harm. It's not hard to abstain from taking of lives in the comfort of our modern day living. But I was just thinking if I had been in a life and death scenario, would I still be able to keep my precept? So I would like to propose this scenario to my fellow Buddhist and ask what would you do? Let's say you crashed landed on a remote island with no edible vegetation except rats and crabs roaming about. And there is no way to survive except to kill these critters for food. Rescue won't come anytime soon. Would you do it or would you allow yourself to starve to death?
I'm sorry, really I am, but this does irritate me.
These hypothetical scenarios are utterly pointless.

the chances of this kind of incident happening is so remote as to be completely off the scale...unless you're Ray Mears or Bear Grils, it's of little or no consequence, and it certainly doesn't help one way or the other.... how could it, exactly? What kind of insight do you get into your own prwctice by asking other members to answer questions they'll actually probably never have to face....?

It is akin to asking Buddhists whether lying to the Nazis about hiding Jews in your cellar would be 'wrong Speech'....(please don't ask that next!)

Self-defence is both acceptable and commendable, if it is your intention to protect yourself, or loved ones from harm. If possible, react to prevent collateral damage, rather than aiming to kill your aggressor.
Any harm you do bears consequence, so intention is all.
If you intend to kill, his carries a far greater consequence to your Kamma than an intention to prevent.

Even the Qu'ran allows for the eating of pork if your life is at stake.
follow the Precepts and the 8Fold path to the best of your ability, within the circumstance you find yourself actually in.
Goodness knows that's hard enough without inventing improbable situations, which bear no relation to anything directly affecting you at all.
Why strive to answer imaginary questions, when living from day to day is a challenge in itself?

Do no harm.
That includes you.
Do your best.
That's all you can promise.
"Samsara: The human condition's heartbreaking inability to sustain contentment." Elizabeth Gilbert, 'Eat, Pray, Love'.

Simplify: 17 into 1 WILL go: Mindfulness!

Quieta movere magna merces videbatur. (Sallust, c.86-c.35 BC)
Translation: Just to stir things up seemed a good reward in itself. ;)

I am sooooo happy - How on earth could I be otherwise?! :D

http://www.armchairadvice.co.uk/relationships/forum/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
santa100

Post by santa100 »

Obviously it's tough to find a perfect solution in this Samsara. In some situation, one's gonna have to pick the lesser of the evils. On a practical standpoint, The first 2 options aren't good: Killing yourself or slowly starve to death: you still commit an act of killing, and you're trading one human life to save a few animal lives. Not only you'd cut off the chance of enlightenment but also what's equally important: the unique potential of a human being to help others. The third option maybe the better one if you do it properly: minimize the suffering of the poor animal by one single decisive blow to its central nervous system. Make a pledge to yourself now that you've owed your life to some creatures, that the moment you're back to the main land, you'll dedicate all your efforts to help many others: contribute your time, effort, and wealth to many charity works to help the sick, the disabled, and the poor..
Hickersonia

Post by Hickersonia »

santa100 wrote:Obviously it's tough to find a perfect solution in this Samsara. In some situation, one's gonna have to pick the lesser of the evils.
Exactly. Samsara doesn't give us easy, fair options. Life isn't necessarily fair and sometimes there is no winning hand to be played.
Hickersonia
http://hickersonia.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of
throwing it at someone else; you are the one getting burned."
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

Fede wrote:These hypothetical scenarios are utterly pointless.
Good call.
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

This is from a slightly different context, but with a slight rewording it would apply here:
http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.ph ... 40#p171065" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
daverupa wrote: You can get away with it. That doesn’t mean that it’s a good thing. What if we ask, not what can I get away with, but what can I aspire to?"
I don't think the point of Dhamma is to build up a cheat-sheet of answers to hypothetical questions. It is to develop wisdom, to be applied to whatever situation arises.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MN 58 Abhaya Sutta: To Prince Abhaya
"In that case, prince, I will ask you a counter-question. Answer as you see fit. What do you think: are you skilled in the parts of a chariot?"

"Yes, lord. I am skilled in the parts of a chariot."

"And what do you think: When people come & ask you, 'What is the name of this part of the chariot?' does this line of reasoning appear to your awareness beforehand — 'If those who approach me ask this, I — thus asked — will answer in this way' — or do you come up with the answer on the spot?"

"Lord, I am renowned for being skilled in the parts of a chariot. All the parts of a chariot are well-known to me. I come up with the answer on the spot."

"In the same way, prince, when wise nobles or priests, householders or contemplatives, having formulated questions, come to the Tathagata and ask him, he comes up with the answer on the spot. Why is that? Because the property of the Dhamma is thoroughly penetrated by the Tathagata. From his thorough penetration of the property of the Dhamma, he comes up with the answer on the spot."
:anjali:
Mike
Modus.Ponens

Post by Modus.Ponens »

Fede, I disagree with your opinion that these scenarios are pointless. In these hypothetical scenarios discussions you can refine your moral beliefs and rules and that can serve as a guiding line for what you do in daily life.

It's easy to put this scenario in a close real world situation though: imagine you have a rat infestation in your house and you have kids. What would you do?
'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.' - Jhana Sutta
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

remove the source of food, clean the place up, make it less accessible, and less habitable for them so they go somewhere else.

This is similar to a situation I have experienced, the last thing I thought about was how best to kill them, it was how best to move them on and prevent them getting in.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Hickersonia

Post by Hickersonia »

Modus.Ponens wrote:It's easy to put this scenario in a close real world situation though: imagine you have a rat infestation in your house and you have kids. What would you do?
Yes, this is a fair scenario, much akin to mine: in the spring, ants come into our home. Why? I have no idea because they invade a room in which no food is ever present. If left unchecked, after a month or so they eventually make their way to the kitchen (which I keep fairly clean, but we have kids so nothing is ever quite spotless). I guess this is just the nature of ants and we might not be able to expect them to do anything different than this...

I haven't quite figured out what we're going to do in a few months when they start coming in again... but I intend to resist the urge to poison them like we did last year. My wife, on the other hand, may choose to do so in spite of my hesitance. I'm not sure how I feel about that either. :-/

I guess we'll see how we cope when it happens...
Hickersonia
http://hickersonia.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of
throwing it at someone else; you are the one getting burned."
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Hickersonia wrote:
Modus.Ponens wrote:It's easy to put this scenario in a close real world situation though: imagine you have a rat infestation in your house and you have kids. What would you do?
Yes, this is a fair scenario, much akin to mine: in the spring, ants come into our home. Why? I have no idea because they invade a room in which no food is ever present. If left unchecked, after a month or so they eventually make their way to the kitchen (which I keep fairly clean, but we have kids so nothing is ever quite spotless). I guess this is just the nature of ants and we might not be able to expect them to do anything different than this...

I haven't quite figured out what we're going to do in a few months when they start coming in again... but I intend to resist the urge to poison them like we did last year. My wife, on the other hand, may choose to do so in spite of my hesitance. I'm not sure how I feel about that either. :-/

I guess we'll see how we cope when it happens...
are you going to get a divorce if she does?

if she decides to do it, you can raise concerns but if she does it anyway you don't need to feel bad about it, or help in the matter.

I have heard of this sort of thing a few times from monks who were in Thailand, all they could do was get out of the ants way, and Ajahn Sumedho objected that the army was going around killing the ants, all Ajahn Chah said was 'you can tell them not to do your Kuti if you want', he never did.
but these aren't the same kind of ants most westerners are familiar with.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

I had a very similar situation once, a week before I was due to go overseas and hand over my house to a tenant I discovered I had an infestation of mice.

I didn't have time to undertake measures that might save lives, and if I just left it then it would become the problem of the property manager and the tenant, to me that would just be abdication of responsibility, as the home owner I am responsible to take care of things like this for my tenant. I don't think Buddhism is about trying to dodge every kammic bullet one can and getting someone else to take it for you, it's about taking responsibility.

So I had to do what I'd rather not. I did manage to catch and release one of them though.
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah