Yogurt

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
rowboat

Re: Yogurt

Post by rowboat »

Yoghurt with blackberries. Yoghurt with honey. Yoghurt with real maple syrup. I am definitely going to make yoghurt.
Rain soddens what is covered up,
It does not sodden what is open.
Therefore uncover what is covered
That the rain will not sodden it.
Ud 5.5
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

TMingyur wrote:That's the purpose of forums, isn't it?

I think ... what do you think?
I have a question ...
I have experienced this and that ...
I like this and I dislike that ...
etc.

:focus:
please see the OP.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

rowboat wrote:Yoghurt with blackberries. Yoghurt with honey. Yoghurt with real maple syrup. I am definitely going to make yoghurt.
It is easy, I would recommend it, there is a method for making flavoured yogurt from scratch, I didn't pay attention to it as that wasn't what I am interested in, but it is about.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Sanghamitta

Post by Sanghamitta »

For those with lactose intolerance ( fairly common, gives rise to flatulence and excema) excellent yoghurt can be made by using goats or sheep milk.
Vegans can get many of the health benefits of yoghurt ( although not its deliciousness ) by taking probiotic Acidophilus capsules, which helps repopulate the gut with "good" bacteria which boost the immune system. Particularly important after a course of antibiotics.
The going for refuge is the door of entrance to the teachings of the Buddha.

Bhikku Bodhi.
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

actually can soya or rice drinks be turned into yogurt for vegans?

John Stuart Mill
mirco

Post by mirco »

Cittasanto wrote:actually can soya or rice drinks be turned into yogurt for vegans?
Hi,

see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soy_yogurt

Have a look at the 'External Links' in the wiki-article.

:-)
Ben

Post by Ben »

Cittasanto wrote:actually can soya or rice drinks be turned into yogurt for vegans?
It is heretical to even think such a thought!
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

:D

This thread is funny! One of the more humorous ones lately. I know it was not the intention, but I found the posts funny and entertaining. Anyway, nothing to contribute except for this comment; carry on.
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Ben wrote:
It is heretical to even think such a thought!
or vegan Bacon, and vegetarian fish fingers.
I suppose it is more of a thickened goop, but when one is accommodating one should accommodate :)

but I do have to say rice drink is very nice

John Stuart Mill
RMSmith

Post by RMSmith »

Cittasanto wrote: or vegan Bacon
My dog enjoys the fake bacon strip treats. I often think vegan bacon looks and smells the same. I'll pass, thank you. :thinking:

Rick
marc108

Post by marc108 »

hi friend,

i just wanted to add that i would be cautious with the recommendation to use unpasteurized milk and let the naturally occurring bacteria do the fermentation... i would say this puts you at severe risk for contamination, especially if you using conventionally raised dairy. what you can do is either buy a starter culture or use a scoop of store bought yogurt. if you need recomendations for a starter or for a store yogurt to use, just let me know. i also can give you recipes to make vegan/vegetarian versions of any meat product you like, re: bacon, etc.

:smile:
"It's easy for us to connect with what's wrong with us... and not so easy to feel into, or to allow us, to connect with what's right and what's good in us."
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

marc108 wrote:hi friend,

i just wanted to add that i would be cautious with the recommendation to use unpasteurized milk and let the naturally occurring bacteria do the fermentation... i would say this puts you at severe risk for contamination, especially if you using conventionally raised dairy. what you can do is either buy a starter culture or use a scoop of store bought yogurt. if you need recomendations for a starter or for a store yogurt to use, just let me know. i also can give you recipes to make vegan/vegetarian versions of any meat product you like, re: bacon, etc.

:smile:
I am not using unpasturised milk, I could get some but it would probbably be more trouble than it was worth :-(
but sure send me any recipe you have for vegetarian stuff, I enjoy trying new things.

John Stuart Mill