wanting, needing, hoping for a textual reference

Exploring the Dhamma, as understood from the perspective of the ancient Pali commentaries.
tiltbillings

wanting, needing, hoping for a textual reference

Post by tiltbillings »

From Conze:

1. There is form, i.e. the tooth as matter.
2. There is a painful feeling.
3. There is a sight-, touch-, pain- perception of the tooth.
4. There is by the way of volitional reactions: resentment at pain, fear of possible consequences, greed for physical well-being, etc.
5. There is consciousness, -- an awareness of all this.

There is a sutta, I think, that states that with the arising of awareness - #5, that 4, 3, 2 are always part of the experience. Anyone know of such a text?
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Cittasanto

Re: wanting, needing, hoping for a textual reference

Post by Cittasanto »

I think there is very familiar I will have a look in a min.

I cant find the sutta I had in mind but have look for the khandhas, their is one which explains them but cant seam to find it http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... tml#ananda" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; maybe this one will help find it
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
serg_o

Post by serg_o »

Hello Tiltbillings, Manapa

I think these suttas speak about the question:

Mahavedalla sutta:
Feeling

"'Feeling, feeling': Thus is it said. To what extent, friend, is it said to be 'feeling'?"

"'It feels, it feels': Thus, friend, it is said to be 'feeling.' And what does it feel? It feels pleasure. It feels pain. It feels neither pleasure nor pain. 'It feels, it feels': Thus it is said to be 'feeling.'"
Perception

"'Perception, perception': Thus is it said. To what extent, friend, is it said to be 'perception'?"

"'It perceives, it perceives': Thus, friend, it is said to be 'perception.' And what does it perceive? It perceives blue. It perceives yellow. It perceives red. It perceives white. 'It perceives, it perceives': Thus it is said to be 'perception.'"

"Feeling, perception, & consciousness, friend: Are these qualities conjoined or disjoined? Is it possible, having separated them one from another, to delineate the difference among them?"

"Feeling, perception, & consciousness are conjoined, friend, not disjoined. It is not possible, having separated them one from another, to delineate the difference among them. For what one feels, that one perceives. What one perceives, that one cognizes. Therefore these qualities are conjoined, not disjoined, and it is not possible, having separated them one from another, to delineate the difference among them."
Madhupindika sutta:
"Dependent on eye & forms, eye-consciousness arises. The meeting of the three is contact. With contact as a requisite condition, there is feeling. What one feels, one perceives (labels in the mind). What one perceives, one thinks about. What one thinks about, one complicates. Based on what a person complicates, the perceptions & categories of complication assail him/her with regard to past, present, & future forms cognizable via the eye.
Nibbedhika sutta:
"And what is the cause by which feeling comes into play? Contact is the cause by which feeling comes into play.
"And what is the cause by which perception comes into play? Contact is the cause by which perception comes into play
Dmytro quoted Dutiyadvaya sutta (SN 4.68) at E-sangha:
Phuṭṭho, bhikkhave, vedeti, phuṭṭho ceteti, phuṭṭho sañjānāti.
In Bhikkhu Bodhi's translation:
Contacted, bhikkhus, one feels, contacted one intends, contacted one perceives.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

serg_o wrote:Hello Tiltbillings, Manapa

I think these suttas speak about the question:

Mahavedalla sutta
That is the one. Thanks
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723