Maha Ummagga Jataka

Post sayings and stories you find interesting or useful.

Maha Ummagga Jataka

Postby faraway » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:04 am

Hi all,

I came across this jataka (Mahā Ummagga Jātaka):
http://www.sacred-texts.com/bud/j6/j6012.htm

I never saw a very lengthy jataka before, I found the story very epic. It has unbelievable plots like other jataka but it's still a great story to read. One complaint from me is the english translation that very hard to understand, I can't blame much as it's from an old publication. I hope someday I can see a modern english translation. I also think this jataka can be made into a movie too :thumbsup:

I wonder if there are any other jataka with almost same length like this jataka. The second one I can think is Ghata Jataka (Andhakavenhu Putta).
faraway

Re: Maha Ummagga Jataka

Postby Cittasanto » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:13 am

There is another collection of Jataka like stories in the basket of conduct, i think the PTS translated it, although I have not actually seen a translation of this book, it is part of the Khundhaka pitaka.

I think there are plenty of new translations of the Jataka Stories, but they are by Asian Translators mainly I believe.
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
Cittasanto

Return to Dhammic Stories