Giving money to the Vihara/Wat: is it OK or not?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
puppha

Giving money to the Vihara/Wat: is it OK or not?

Post by puppha »

Dear All,

I would like to have your opinions about giving money to the Vihara/Wat/Temple: is it a meritorous deed or not?
The fact is that monks and nuns are prohibited by the Vinaya from holding or managing money. So on the face of it, putting money into the donation box of the Vihara would not be very skillful...

Many thanks for your comments!

With Metta
Ben

Re: Giving money to the Vihara/Wat: is it OK or not?

Post by Ben »

Then why do they have a donation box?

I think you'll find that its a skilful thing to do and the money gets handled by a lay treasurer.
kind regards,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Well it isn't being givento or managed by them but the charity responcible for the Monastery, or at least that is how I understand its management at places I have been/in the west.

you aren't giving it to the monks, and monks can have money recieved for tham by a lay attendent for purposes of buying needed items like a robe, according to vinaya.

it is OK.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

puppha wrote:I would like to have your opinions about giving money to the Vihara/Wat/Temple: is it a meritorous deed or not?
The fact is that monks and nuns are prohibited by the Vinaya from holding or managing money. So on the face of it, putting money into the donation box of the Vihara would not be very skillful...
Giving money (or goods) to anyone who has a good/selfless purpose for it's use and needs it more than you is meritorous.
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
Bankei

Post by Bankei »

Cittasanto wrote:Well it isn't being givento or managed by them but the charity responcible for the Monastery, or at least that is how I understand its management at places I have been/in the west.
This would depend on the monastery involved and wouldn't always be the case.
-----------------------
Bankei
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Bankei wrote:
Cittasanto wrote:Well it isn't being givento or managed by them but the charity responcible for the Monastery, or at least that is how I understand its management at places I have been/in the west.
I am sure you are corect but I was specifically talking about places I have been/in the west not every monastery in the universe.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Bankei

Post by Bankei »

I know of some monasteries in the west, which I have been to, which virtually treat donations as assets of the monks.

There are other monasteries in the west too which provide funds for the monks to travel to give teachings etc. Some monks are frequently flying around the countries and overseas to 'branch meetings',birthday celebrations etc.

And, in Thailand, the Wat opposite my house recently purchased a brand new 4 wheel drive for the abbot - he needs it so his driver can drive him to visit other temples on temple business. Many westerners think that Buddhists don't criticise monks, but in asia this is not the case and he was criticised for this and other spending with some locals refusing to attend that temple anymore.
-----------------------
Bankei
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Bankei wrote:I know of some monasteries in the west, which I have been to, which virtually treat donations as assets of the monks.

There are other monasteries in the west too which provide funds for the monks to travel to give teachings etc. Some monks are frequently flying around the countries and overseas to 'branch meetings',birthday celebrations etc.

And, in Thailand, the Wat opposite my house recently purchased a brand new 4 wheel drive for the abbot - he needs it so his driver can drive him to visit other temples on temple business. Many westerners think that Buddhists don't criticise monks, but in asia this is not the case and he was criticised for this and other spending with some locals refusing to attend that temple anymore.
that may be but it is outside of my experience isn't it, I wasn't talking about all monasteries was I.

I do know if a monk is invited somewhere it is normal for the person/group to fund the travel, but sure this may not always be the case.

if you want to post something in contribution to a thread no need to be deliberately contrary.

John Stuart Mill
puppha

Post by puppha »

Many thanks for your comments!

An interesting point is being raised here. Money works this way: when some money is available, ways to spend it materialise very quickly, and they become a part of reality within a short period of time and people can't do without anymore. This is certainly true of the corporate world or of personal finances, and it may be the case also for donations.

In other words, there is a world of difference between:
1 - A monk needs something
2 - The lay people make donations to fulfil that need
and:
1 - The lay people make donations
2 - Needs materialise to soak up available money

I know I am playing the devil's advocate here, as we should somewhere trust our monks. On the other hand, we may also consider it the duty of the lay people to make life easier for the monks and avoid them such tension/temptation.

However, when a lay stewart is managing the money for the temple, I think no problem arises with money donations.

With Metta
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Electric bill
Gas (heating, stove) bill
Air conditioning
Water bill
Sewer bill
Garbage removal bill
General repairs to the building
Mortgage payment (if there is one)

All of the above must be paid. It can't be done without monetary donations from someone.

Maybe because I am a landlord, but one concept I like is for a temple to acquire a large property and rent out some rooms or buildings to lay practitioners, creating a community / co-housing and then all or most of the expenses paid by the incoming rents. IBMC in Los Angeles and a few others have done this concept.
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Bankei wrote:... some locals refusing to attend that temple anymore.
And that would be the appropriate response.

So in response to the OP: If there is a Wat that you think is worth supporting, support it. :buddha1:
If you think there is something shady about it, ignore it.

:anjali:
Mike
puppha

Post by puppha »

David N. Snyder wrote:Electric bill
Gas (heating, stove) bill
Air conditioning
Water bill
Sewer bill
Garbage removal bill
General repairs to the building
Mortgage payment (if there is one)

All of the above must be paid. It can't be done without monetary donations from someone.
That's very true!
mikenz66 wrote:So in response to the OP: If there is a Wat that you think is worth supporting, support it. :buddha1:
If you think there is something shady about it, ignore it.
Excellent!
The middle path, as always, is the right answer. Or in other words: "it depends".

Many thanks for giving me perspectives!

With Metta
Bankei

Post by Bankei »

Cittasanto wrote:
Bankei wrote:I know of some monasteries in the west, which I have been to, which virtually treat donations as assets of the monks.

that may be but it is outside of my experience isn't it, I wasn't talking about all monasteries was I.

I do know if a monk is invited somewhere it is normal for the person/group to fund the travel, but sure this may not always be the case.

if you want to post something in contribution to a thread no need to be deliberately contrary.
What has your experience got to do with my post?
-----------------------
Bankei
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Bankei wrote:
What has what you got to say to do with my post?

John Stuart Mill
Bankei

Post by Bankei »

Cittasanto wrote:
Bankei wrote:
What has what you got to say to do with my post?
Nothing.
-----------------------
Bankei