Why one meal a day?

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
DNS
Site Admin

Re: Why one meal a day?

Post by DNS »

fxam wrote: On second thought, I have read that coffee and milk (even lemon juice) stimulates stomach acid production, maybe it's not such a good idea on an empty stomach?
Milk is a form of food, so not 100% in keeping with the one meal. But as long as you have not undertaken any formal precept, not an issue, if you enjoy milk or need it.

I drink tea and coffee (black) when not eating or in the later hours.

I have heard some people say that coffee stimulates their appetite and others who say it suppresses it. It seems to have mostly a neutral effect on me.

For the one meal / not eating after noon, fruit juice is acceptable.
acinteyyo

Post by acinteyyo »

David N. Snyder wrote:
fxam wrote: On second thought, I have read that coffee and milk (even lemon juice) stimulates stomach acid production, maybe it's not such a good idea on an empty stomach?
Milk is a form of food, so not 100% in keeping with the one meal. But as long as you have not undertaken any formal precept, not an issue, if you enjoy milk or need it.
David is completely right, milk is considered a form of food in vinaya, but I don't. If you would undertake formal precept it wouldn't be in line with the precept but I don't undertake a formal precept anymore either. I just feel good with one meal, less lazy or dull and I'm not always 100% strict, if I need to eat more because I have done more physical activities I eat more. I listen closely to the signals of my body, the body knows exactly what's necessary and I provide it. I very rarely eat or drink because of delight.

To answer your question, in my eyes it depends on how your body reacts. Milk and coffee in moderation doesn't cause any inconvenience for myself but if it does for you it's probably not such a good idea. I think if you pay attention to your body you will easily know what's okay and what isn't.

best wishes, acinteyyo
Thag 1.20. Ajita - I do not fear death; nor do I long for life. I’ll lay down this body, aware and mindful.
fxam

Post by fxam »

I wonder if meditation restores energy as I found that sleep seems to do so. Now I practise having only plain warm water after noon. Sometimes when I have too much activity after noon time, I will feel weak at night. But as soon as I wake up in the morning, I feel energetic again. What do you think? I am going to try meditating after noon and see what happens.
mirco

Post by mirco »

alan wrote:Monks have to follow the rules, but why would anyone else take up the unhealthy practice of restricting your food?
Is there some inherent virtue in this practice? Thanks
My meditation teacher sais, since eating only once a day, he is in far better health.

:-)
ground

Post by ground »

The practice of eating once a day fosters detachment from the body. If you feed the body the body reacts with warmth and activity. Bodily fluids are produced, the brain gets glucose to further produce stupid thoughts and feelings and attachments. If you stop feeding the body thoughts and feelings and attachments decrease but the body is getting hysterical. Having energy and established intent to stick to the practice and resisting the body's hysterical reactions thus necessarily entails detachment from the body and fosters decrease of stupid thoughts and feelings and attachments.

Feeding, not feeding ... feeding, not feeding ... experiential insight dawns
At Savatthi... "There are these four nutriments for the maintenance of beings who have come into being or for the support of those in search of a place to be born. Which four? Physical food, gross or refined; contact as the second, intellectual intention the third, and consciousness the fourth. These are the four nutriments for the maintenance of beings who have come into being or for the support of those in search of a place to be born.

"And how is physical food to be regarded? Suppose a couple, husband & wife, taking meager provisions, were to travel through a desert. With them would be their only baby son, dear & appealing. Then the meager provisions of the couple going through the desert would be used up & depleted while there was still a stretch of the desert yet to be crossed. The thought would occur to them, 'Our meager provisions are used up & depleted while there is still a stretch of this desert yet to be crossed. What if we were to kill this only baby son of ours, dear & appealing, and make dried meat & jerky. That way — chewing on the flesh of our son — at least the two of us would make it through this desert. Otherwise, all three of us would perish.' So they would kill their only baby son, loved & endearing, and make dried meat & jerky. Chewing on the flesh of their son, they would make it through the desert. While eating the flesh of their only son, they would beat their breasts, [crying,] 'Where have you gone, our only baby son? Where have you gone, our only baby son?' Now what do you think, monks: Would that couple eat that food playfully or for intoxication, or for putting on bulk, or for beautification?"

"No, lord."

"Wouldn't they eat that food simply for the sake of making it through that desert?"

"Yes, lord."

"In the same way, I tell you, is the nutriment of physical food to be regarded. When physical food is comprehended, passion for the five strings of sensuality is comprehended. When passion for the five strings of sensuality is comprehended, there is no fetter bound by which a disciple of the noble ones would come back again to this world.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kind regards
marc108

eating once a day and nutrient deficiencies in Monastics.

Post by marc108 »

Since I learned that Monastics only eat once a day, and generally are eating a moderate sized meal, I cant help but wonder how they are able to survive with long term nutrient deficiencies? I'm a nutrition student and have done extensive dietary analysis and planning, and it is not possible to eat 100% of what you need in a single meal... if you could get 1/3 of your daily needs in a single meal you would be lucky. Are there high rates of disease and early death among monastics? It boggles my mind that many Ajahn's have lived to be very old and in good health on nearly no food.

I'd be interested to hear what anyone has to say on this, and to know if the Buddha ever commented on malnourishment.

"It's easy for us to connect with what's wrong with us... and not so easy to feel into, or to allow us, to connect with what's right and what's good in us."
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

I believe all your questions would be answered within this thread.

It would be easier to read through and ask any further questions you have after that.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Virgo

Re: eating once a day and nutrient deficiencies in Monastics.

Post by Virgo »

Nevermind

Kevin
Last edited by Virgo on Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DNS
Site Admin

Re: eating once a day and nutrient deficiencies in Monastics.

Post by DNS »

marc108 wrote: and it is not possible to eat 100% of what you need in a single meal...
I merged your topic with this existing topic. You can read some of the previous posts here.

It is possible, considering that monastics and some lay people have been doing so for at least 2,500 years. As long as you eat enough nutritious foods, there are no problems and it is actually healthier. In terms of evolution, I think our ancestors, like many other animals ate large meals when food was available and then often went without food for some extended times. Therefore, one meal per day is not that long of a break between meals.
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

I hadn't noticed it was merged! sorry if my response confused.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
marc108

Post by marc108 »

Thanks for merging my thread into this one, I hadn't seen this thread before. I just want to prefix my part in this discussion by saying that I have the utmost respect for the Vinya rules, and what I'm saying is simply meant to be a friendly discussion and a respectful inquiry, not an admonishment of this rule.

Respectfully, it would absolutely not be possible to eat 100% vitamin & mineral intake in a moderate sized single meal. We see in many populations that humans can live with severe deficiencies, but what they can not do is live in optimal physical health. They may develop specific diseases, or just degenerate and die faster.... This would be akin to putting 1/3 of your cars need for oil into the car... it will run, but die out much quicker.

My personal opinion, and what seems most logical within my understandings, is that meditation practice is sustaining the physical form in a way unrelated to food. My best guess would be through the buildup of prana.

:smile:
"It's easy for us to connect with what's wrong with us... and not so easy to feel into, or to allow us, to connect with what's right and what's good in us."
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

marc108 wrote:Thanks for merging my thread into this one, I hadn't seen this thread before. I just want to prefix my part in this discussion by saying that I have the utmost respect for the Vinya rules, and what I'm saying is simply meant to be a friendly discussion and a respectful inquiry, not an admonishment of this rule.

Respectfully, it would absolutely not be possible to eat 100% vitamin & mineral intake in a moderate sized single meal. We see in many populations that humans can live with severe deficiencies, but what they can not do is live in optimal physical health. They may develop specific diseases, or just degenerate and die faster.... This would be akin to putting 1/3 of your cars need for oil into the car... it will run, but die out much quicker.

My personal opinion, and what seems most logical within my understandings, is that meditation practice is sustaining the physical form in a way unrelated to food. My best guess would be through the buildup of prana.

:smile:
more physical exertion more food needed.

it isn't one meal, although some do follow this, it is one period, from dawn to noon

maybe the body uses the nutrition better?

there have been a number of discussions on this topic, you may also want to do a search.

John Stuart Mill
marc108

Post by marc108 »

thanks for the clarification on one meal vs on period. i will do a search, thanks :)
acinteyyo

Post by acinteyyo »

marc108 wrote:Respectfully, it would absolutely not be possible to eat 100% vitamin & mineral intake in a moderate sized single meal.
Hi,

I don't know exactly what you mean by moderate sized single meal but I noticed that some monks eat quite large single meals. When I was observing the one meal precept I too ate a slightly larger quantity at once. I still usually eat only once a day, sometimes twice and I don't have any problems. The body adapts quickly to single meal per day and as far as I know the body doesn't need all kinds of nutriments, minerals, vitamines and so on ever day. As long as you provide sufficient nutrition in time everything's fine.

best wishes, acinteyyo
Thag 1.20. Ajita - I do not fear death; nor do I long for life. I’ll lay down this body, aware and mindful.
Chi

Addithana: One Meal Per Day

Post by Chi »

Dear Fellow Dhammafarers,

Today, I started eating one meal per day. I also started a seven-day cleanse with "Garden of Life RAW Cleanse". It's just some powder and capsules of apparently good stuff.

Here's the reasoning:

Since I've came back from my retreat, I've been eating like a pig. I've gained 15-20 lbs. in 12 days. I've been eating and craving sugar like it's nobody's business, and it makes the body and mind rather lethargic. It's time to get the body and mind back into shape before the next retreat starting on 4/1.

Making a strong addithana aids in the follow-through of the experiment. So, I am posting here.

So here is what happened today: Woke up at 7:15, went on an early hike with my mother at a semi-tiring mountain (Camelback Mountain in Arizona), went to Sprout's and bought a bunch of healthy food (mostly veggies and fruit), made a smoothie of spinach, half a bell pepper, a pound of strawberries, 6 oz of blueberries, one banana, 2-3 teaspoons of spirulina, a bit of coconut milk, almond milk, and rice milk. My mom made an veggie omelette with bell peppers, tomatoes, spinach, cheese, a bit of olive oil, and five eggs. I drank more than 2/3's of the smoothie and about 2/3's of the omelette. I also had 5 pieces of spicy tuna roll from my mom's lunch the day before, along with some wasabi and ginger.

I felt really, really full afterwards and knew I overate. I took a walk for 15-20 minutes, and then went to bed for three hours at 12:15ish.

Right now, it's about 5:30 and I am craving some honey. But, I'm not sick, so I am restraining myself. There seems to be more energy in the body, and the mind feels quicker.

On a side note, I started a gratitude journal the other day in which I write down about a page of all the things I am grateful for in my life. I can already feel the effects.

OK, maybe I'll report everyday, maybe I'll report every couple of days.

Thanks for listening!
Do Good, Avoid Evil, Purify the Mind.