I'm so depressed

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.

Re: I'm so depressed

Postby Terasi » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:15 am

Whenever you can when you are on a train, or in waiting room, or just doing nothing, close your eyes, take deep breath, put your mind on your breath, your limbs, your chest, your bottom, your nose, everywhere you can "feel", imagine looking at yourself from outside and realise you are sitting here in your surroundings (of course meditation is much better, but if you are undisciplined like me, this is my Band-Aid).

Have enough sleep.

Cut down coffee or other stimulants, eat well & healthy. Oh and fish oil.

Sorry very dubious advice, but I am sincere, because these are what work for me.
Terasi

Postby Sanghamitta » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:44 am

greggorious wrote:Do you think I should give Dhammawheel a rest for a while, just practice?

Actually I think you should give practice a rest for a while. Both Vipassana and Zen. I suspect you are not really practicing either anyway. Take lots of walks. Eat well. Talk to friends and family about other things than The Meaning Of Life...take up hatha yoga . Watch comedies. Read novels.
:anjali:
The going for refuge is the door of entrance to the teachings of the Buddha.

Bhikku Bodhi.
Sanghamitta

Postby Stephen K » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:23 am

Contemplate the three marks of impermanence, suffering, and nonself. That's what overcomes suffering.

This talk by Ajahn Brahm will be of help:

What to do with Suffering
Last edited by Stephen K on Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stephen K

Postby Cittasanto » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:28 am

Attend appropriately

as with everything it is how one uses things, not the things themselves.

Here is no more a place of proliferation than anywhere else, the reactive mind, going to the extremes can be more noticeable here, online, as the stimulus is narrowed down to a screen, however, the 'real world,' that of the six senses, is still present here, so ask yourself can the path fold of upright communication be used here? can the path fold of upright intention be used here? can the path folds of Upright View, Effort & Mindfulness be used here? these last three run after and circle around each other and support the rest of the path, until Upright Focus is reached, as we do not regret our actions of Body (action/livelihood) speech (speech/livelihood) and mind (intention) because we have Upright Perspective, Upright Effort, & Upright Mindfulness working together appropriately.
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
Cittasanto

Postby santa100 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:09 pm

Get out to the open sky and start running, jogging, biking, or hiking at least every other day. Then come home and read Ajahn Brahm's wonderful essay "Joy At Last To Know There Is No Happiness In The World"..

http://www.budsas.org/ebud/ebdha201.htm
santa100

Postby greggorious » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:39 pm

Can certain realms intergrate with each other. I feel like i'm in the hell realms (Depression, anxiety, anger), also hungry Ghost (Alcohol addiction) and obviously human too.
"The original heart/mind shines like pure, clear water with the sweetest taste. But if the heart is pure, is our practice over? No, we must not cling even to this purity. We must go beyond all duality, all concepts, all bad, all good, all pure, all impure. We must go beyond self and nonself, beyond birth and death. When we see with the eye of wisdom, we know that the true Buddha is timeless, unborn, unrelated to any body, any history, any image. Buddha is the ground of all being, the realization of the truth of the unmoving mind.” Ajahn Chah
greggorious

Postby David2 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:36 pm

santa100 wrote:Get out to the open sky and start running, jogging, biking, or hiking at least every other day. Then come home and read Ajahn Brahm's wonderful essay "Joy At Last To Know There Is No Happiness In The World"..

http://www.budsas.org/ebud/ebdha201.htm

There is a similar talk as video online:

David2

Postby perkele » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:36 pm

You're human. Make the best of it. Don't fantasize.
perkele

Postby Alobha » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:07 pm

MN 20 - Vitakkasanthana Sutta: The Removal of Distracting Thoughts

Also:
Alcoholism and Depression often follow anxiety disorders. Did you consider grabbing a friend who can take you to a clinic and admitting yourself to it to deal with these matters? If you want to change things, that would be a right step to do.
Alobha

Postby manas » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:55 am

:anjali:
Last edited by manas on Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
manas

Postby SamKR » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:34 am

perkele wrote:Try the following:
1) Order a pizza.
2) Say thank you to the delivery guy and give him a tip.
3) Eat the pizza.
4) If a hungry ghost is harassing you, give him a piece of pizza.
5) Wash the dishes.

Liked it. Should also try similar other things.
These easy little acts gladden mind.
SamKR

Postby kirk5a » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:38 pm

In my experience, putting effort into wakefulness is the antidote to depression.
"When one thing is practiced & pursued, ignorance is abandoned, clear knowing arises, the conceit 'I am' is abandoned, latent tendencies are uprooted, fetters are abandoned. Which one thing? Mindfulness immersed in the body." -AN 1.230
kirk5a

Postby Cittasanto » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:45 pm

Are you seeking professional help?
talking to friends and family?
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
Cittasanto

Postby jackson » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:15 pm

Hi greggorius,
I'm going through a rough patch myself, just wanted to let you know I can relate. Also, thank you Reflection and David2 for sharing the Ajahn Brahm talks, they've been helpful and have picked up my mood a fair bit.
With Karuna and Mudita,
Jackson
"The heart of the path is quite easy. There’s no need to explain anything at length. Let go of love and hate and let things be. That’s all that I do in my own practice." - Ajahn Chah
jackson

Postby ground » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:34 pm

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=11622

Alcohol is known to be a very potent depressive agent.
ground

Postby befriend » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:58 pm

thich nhat hanh teaches that smiling even when you have no reason to smile, can be a source of joy. not a big smile just a little smile, hold it for a while and it will eventually make you actually happy.
befriend

Previous

Return to Wellness, Diet & Fitness