Looking for more privacy in an email account

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
worldly.guy

Looking for more privacy in an email account

Post by worldly.guy »

Hi all,

I'm looking for an email account that really keeps my privacy, not like Google/Gmail which seems to check/scan every email you send/receive in order to give you 'a better service'. And if rumors are true, Yahoo! and Google are now (or will be soon) the same.

I created an account with GMX thinking that it was a different provider but surprisingly I got the other day an e-mail by Google announcing new changes in their privacy policy so I suspect now they are the same or at least they work together.

It's not that I have something to hide, I just don't like people prying into my stuff or my family's and friend's.

Do you know of any FREE e-mail provider which one can really trust on?

Also, is there any email provider out there with a Buddhist privacy policy? It would be nice having a Buddhist themed account with even a Buddhist domain like @buddhist.com, @buddha.com, @theravada/zen/vajrayana.com, wouldn't it? :tongue:

Regards.
David2

Re: Looking for more privacy in an email account

Post by David2 »

It's not that I have something to hide, I just don't like people prying into my stuff or my family's and friend's.
I don't think any person of Google reads your mails if you have a Gmail account.
Only computers do analyze the words you use in the mails or in the mails you get.
Ben

Post by Ben »

What is a Buddhist privacy policy?
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
reflection

Post by reflection »

how about @nirvana.com? :tongue:
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Now be nice. The snooping done by these companies is essentially turning us into products. The worst offendeer by far is Fecesbook which values itself at 100 billion US Dollars. And what is it selling? Our information that we, like lemmings, freely put on there. They make massively big bucks selling our information we, in our slaphappy ignorance, put out there and we get nothing back from them except a place to put information they can sell.

Another interesting question is that the place where I earn my pay has informed us that they will be monitoring Fecesbook, like other companies do, for any comments made about them. How will they know what is said if they are not "friended?" Does Fecesbook open their doors, at a fee (of course), to our information to certain companies that other companies can hire to monitor what is said?
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
retrofuturist

Naughty posts (topic number = 489)

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
tiltbillings wrote:Our information that we, like lemmings, freely put on there. They make massively big bucks selling our information we, in our slaphappy ignorance, put out there
In the scheme of things it's only ignorance if it constitutes aversion, greed or delusion.

:computerproblem:

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings,
tiltbillings wrote:Our information that we, like lemmings, freely put on there. They make massively big bucks selling our information we, in our slaphappy ignorance, put out there
In the scheme of things it's only ignorance if it constitutes aversion, greed or delusion.

:computerproblem:

Metta,
Only if you insist upon using a particular defintion as being normative for all, which is not really a meaningful thing to do, but then maybe you are making a funny here.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
tiltbillings wrote:... but then maybe you are making a funny here.
Not really. The guidelines the Buddha gave on what is skilful and what is unskilful were very skilful because they're generic enough to apply to all situations... including the ones depicted in this topic.

That the Buddha had never heard of e-mail, Facebook, multi-national corporations, men in black etc. doesn't change the applicability of the Dhamma laws which underpin the operation of cetana/kamma.

Metta,
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

That is a very nice, but the word ignorance is not limited to the strict Buddhist usage.

worldly.guy

Post by worldly.guy »

tiltbillings wrote:Now be nice. The snooping done by these companies is essentially turning us into products. The worst offendeer by far is Fecesbook which values itself at 100 billion US Dollars. (...)
Yeah, another Google company now, that's what I mean.

Last week I got my first smartphone and, surprise! :quote: you need a google account to set up its OS android... They not only check your emails and sms's now, but your locations also.

So going back to the original question: no clues? :popcorn:
worldly.guy

Post by worldly.guy »

Ben wrote:What is a Buddhist privacy policy?
Hi Ben,

Yeah, I didn't chose the words properly. I meant a 'really honest -without hidden agendas- privacy policy'
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Tilt,

My perspective as an ex-Privacy Officer for a municipality is that there are some worrying developments in the online environment regarding privacy which is compounded by a lack of knowledge bordering on hysteria among the general public of what information privacy is and the respective laws, guidelines and standards in operation in one's country. In many countries in the west, privacy is not an absolute right and that statutes reflect a balancing act between an individual's and corporation's right to privacy and the needs of businesses and governments to collect, store and manipulate personal information in the conduct of legitimate business and governmental operations. I think most people do a disservice to themselves if and when they disclose too much about themselves or feel so paranoid that they constrain themselves unnecessarily. When using social networking sites one shouldn't post anything that they would feel uncomfortable writing and sending on the back of a post card. Just be judicious with what you post and setting your privacy settings to that which you feel most comfortable with.
With regards to email - I have a number of accounts for different purposes and they are not linked and except for one not linked to my facebook page.
kind regards,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Ben wrote:Hi Tilt,

My perspective as an ex-Privacy Officer for a municipality is that there are some worrying . . .
Some folks certainly do put way too much personal info out there on such things a s Fecesbook, but the reality is that whatever info that put onto FB is open to mining by them in order to sell. That is how they are making their astronomically huge bucks. It is does not appeal to me to be used in such a way, which is why what little personal info I have on Faretbook is false.

Ben

Post by Ben »

Yes, I understand.
But everytime you use your credit card or debit card you are creating a data trail of transactions which when aggregated is sold to marketers so that they can better profile prospective customers for new and existing products. Our data is being mined all the time and its been going on for a long time.
kind regrds,

Ben

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi worldly guy,
worldly.guy wrote:
Ben wrote:What is a Buddhist privacy policy?
Hi Ben,

Yeah, I didn't chose the words properly. I meant a 'really honest -without hidden agendas- privacy policy'
Yes, a lot of privacy policies are written in legalese which is difficult for a lay person to understand. Keep in mind that if your country has information privacy statutes then corporations operating in your country must comply with those statutes otherwise they face penalties and fines for non-compliance. Also keep in mind that perceived breaches of privacy, especially in the online environment, make great news. Its the sort of publicity that your ISPs would avoid like the plague as it gouges their reputation and revenue.
kind regards,

Ben

- Sutta Nipata 3.725